XR650L CDI FAIL

Just had my third CDI failure (02XRL). This is getting old! Does anyone know of a better alternative to OEM? Luckily I had enough sense to carry a new spare. This could have been bad as I was out a ways off of the beaten track.IMG_20190928_151856.jpg.0debf88e9727fc9e5397ea012ba082f9.jpg

Up in the clouds with a storm moving in!

IMG_20190928_152440.jpg

Edited by 00boob
Z boo boo

Just had my third CDI failure (02XRL). This is getting old! Does anyone know of a better alternative to OEM? Luckily I had enough sense to carry a new spare. This could have been bad as I was out a ways off of the beaten track.IMG_20190928_151856.jpg.0debf88e9727fc9e5397ea012ba082f9.jpg
Up in the clouds with a storm moving in!

IMG_20190928_152440.jpg.9491f006b97d8d4b793c17e49f9f76f0.jpg

Maybe relocate the Cdi box under the seat in the center of the bike so it gets significantly less force placed on it. The Cdi box gets jackhammered In the battery box riding off road.

36 minutes ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Maybe relocate the Cdi box under the seat in the center of the bike so it gets significantly less force placed on it. The Cdi box gets jackhammered In the battery box riding off road.

Thanks  Yeah I need to do that. I have read Ryan's write up on it On 4Strokes.com    https://4strokes.com/viewtopic.php?t=269    FRIGGIN HILARIOUS!!  if you haven't read this, you owe it to yourself! I just sent an E-MAIL off to IGNTEC http://www.ignitech.cz/en/  as brianhare suggested (Thank you for that by the way hare). TT is such a great resource!

Edited by 00boob

I've never had an issue with my OEM one after it was resoldered by Brianhare.

Edited by baldy110
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, baldy110 said:

I've never had an issue with my OEM one after it was resoldered by Brianhare.

Yeah I saw a HOW TO write up on that (can't remember if it was his or not) I'm not that good with a soldering iron and would probably just f@#k it up!

Thanks  Yeah I need to do that. I have read Ryan's write up on it On 4Strokes.com    https://4strokes.com/viewtopic.php?t=269    FRIGGIN HILARIOUS!!  if you haven't read this, you owe it to yourself! I just sent an E-MAIL off to IGNTEC http://www.ignitech.cz/en/  as brianhare suggested (Thank you for that by the way hare). TT is such a great resource!

I’m gonna do the battery relocation mod this winter when I have the bike torn apart, I’ll post some pics. Seems fairly straight forward.

I was thinking someone should organize and print out all the info on this site about the individual bikes And turn them into books. I would buy that without hesitation. Hell dave could start a big red pig podcast and I would listen and ask questions all day.

4 hours ago, Bigfatredpig said:

I was thinking someone should organize and print out all the info on this site about the individual bikes And turn them into books. I would buy that without hesitation. Hell dave could start a big red pig podcast and I would listen and ask questions all day.

Great idea! I just know I wouldn't have the time, patience or tech savvy to pull that all together, especially the pod cast (that could be a MAJOR time suck)!

2 minutes ago, Jonathon Coffey said:

regulator rectifier.com

Yeah thanks. Their website is not exactly "user friendly" (spent five minutes trying to look up my bike (NOPE). I then tried to cross reference the Honda part # (NO HELP) and the "live chat" feature is currently "dead" so... have you ever used this site? It says that they are based in CA but the site is pretty "DATED"  Please let me know if you have actually used them. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, 00boob said:

Yeah thanks. Their website is not exactly "user friendly" (spent five minutes trying to look up my bike (NOPE). I then tried to cross reference the Honda part # (NO HELP) and the "live chat" feature is currently "dead" so... have you ever used this site? It says that they are based in CA but the site is pretty "DATED"  Please let me know if you have actually used them. Thanks. 

Never had a problem, and I had 2 650 L's     Ground wire loose or not a good contact?   

X2 on ignitech. Better than stock timing (ignition) curve, and fully programmable if you’re into that kinda thing. Plug and play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slman said:

Never had a problem, and I had 2 650 L's     Ground wire loose or not a good contact?   

This is a KNOWN and well documented problem with these bikes. When I swapped out the new unit (that I now ALWAYS carry with me)  it fired right up no issues. As I stated at the beginning of the thread, this is the third CDI unit that has gone TITS UP on me!

5 minutes ago, cooldudesmd said:

X2 on ignitech. Better than stock timing (ignition) curve, and fully programmable if you’re into that kinda thing. Plug and play.

Yeah just got a response from the email I sent them, base model plus shipping from Czech Republic ~$200.00 (wish I had known about them earlier, I would have saved some cash by now)!