Helmet or boots

Ok I am looking at a  thor brand helmet and set of boots but can only afford one at a time i have an older helmet(roughly 10 years old dont hate at least I have something) so can I get by with it and go ahead and get boots or no?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Funny Man Jr said:

Ok I am looking at a  thor brand helmet and set of boots but can only afford one at a time i have an older helmet(roughly 10 years old dont hate at least I have something) so can I get by with it and go ahead and get boots or no?

It really depends on the condition of the helmet you have.

• Like 1

By all means get the newer helmet 10 years on a helmet? I guess would depend on the abuse? You can always wear a high ankle pair of work boots with a set of shin guards. Keep the old gourd safe! Saftey on all body parts would be top priority!

1. Helmet (and goggles)

2. Boots

3. Neck brace

4. Body protection

5. Knee protection

6. Elbow protection

7. Whatever else you want, gloves, jersey/pants, etc

48 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

It really depends on the condition of the helmet you have.

Its got some scratches on the paint but its never been in an impact and was taken care of really well 

29 minutes ago, piltoyougram said:

By all means get the newer helmet 10 years on a helmet? I guess would depend on the abuse? You can always wear a high ankle pair of work boots with a set of shin guards. Keep the old gourd safe! Saftey on all body parts would be top priority!

Yeah been using work boots but wanted yalls opinions

14 minutes ago, Grinson said:

I'd probably go helmet. They have a limited shelf life.

Ok frome what I have heard thor is a good brand whats your opinion

To Me it depends on the riding. If you're not doing anything where you can hit a rock/tree etc hard (basically if it's just dirt you're likely to hit), then I'd get the boots and keep the old helm 'till you can replace it.

Obviously if there's a decent chance of major head injury, then get the helmet.

I spend more on decent boots than I do on helmets (on dirt), and I crash a lot. I also mostly ride on MX tracks where there are no obstacles to hit.

I had a biggie with a Thor helmet at the beginning of the year, it did it's job ok.  Any proper dirt bike boot will be better than what you have.

Feet and ankles get a real hard time off road.

1 hour ago, BOAB said:

1. Helmet (and goggles)

2. Boots

3. Neck brace

4. Body protection

5. Knee protection

6. Elbow protection

1. Helmet

2. Boots

3. Knee braces

4. Body

5. Neck

6. Rest of the gear

Some people run neck braces, some people don't. All depends. 

Tbh I think ankle and feet injuries are pretty damn common

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOAB said:

1. Helmet (and goggles)

2. Boots

3. Neck brace

4. Body protection

5. Knee protection

6. Elbow protection

Finally someone else who agrees that pants are low priority while riding

Optional at best 

??

• Haha 2

Ok since pretty much my riding is enduro imma go with a new helmet for the noggin first then some boots and a chest protector

• Like 3

Excellent helmets can be found for less than $200 in the closeout sections of most internet retailers. Rocky Mtn,  Chapparral, etc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Funny Man Jr said:

I mean if worse comes to worse, I would pick helmet then boots....but they both saved me equal amount of times. a 10yr helmet, guess it depends ont he ride and how fast. I personally think it would be ok to start unless you doing MX or something or 50mph flowy trails.

I personally would not ride w/o boots now after the things ive been hit with. Its not necessarily falls, but the way you put down your feet, and obstacles along the way. yesterday something hit my boot on some really narrow trail around 20mph knocked me off but my feet are ok! i think w/o boots I would have sprained or even broken something. it was a hard hit. 

I would agree with BOAB order but I think helmets and boots are pretty close together.

1. Helmet (and goggles)

2. Boots

3. Neck brace

4. Body protection

5. Knee protection

6. Elbow protection

Edited by RideWithWill

11 hours ago, ranga97 said:

1. Helmet

2. Boots

3. Knee braces

4. Body

5. Neck

6. Rest of the gear

Some people run neck braces, some people don't. All depends. 

Tbh I think ankle and feet injuries are pretty damn common

I can't understand why on earth you would put knee braces ahead of body protection (and neck protection).  Your knees mean nothing if you have a branch sticking through your insides and you are dead impaled on a tree.  Knees mean nothing if you are a quadriplegic because you didn't wear a neck brace.  Common sense dictates the order I listed.  The only reason I put boots before neck brace is proper boots will help you ride better preventing more injury.

Edited by BOAB

What size in boots and helmet do you need maybe some of us have some good used gear you can have?

• Like 3

NO!  I'm not gonna turn this into another of my neck brace rants! :eek:

4 minutes ago, Demo_man said:

What size in boots and helmet do you need maybe some of us have some good used gear you can have?

Speaking of that, I have some vintage Thor Phase gear that a KTM owner would kill for.  Thor Phase from the mid 2000s is heavy and indestructible, this stuff is still completely serviceable.  Just come get it or pay the shipping (that may take me awhile to get around to it 🤣 ).

20180120_114147.jpg

• Like 2

I have New Fox V1 helmet Size S and Some newish Maverick boots size 9 boots to get rid of. My spare room is full of gear for street and dirt. 

• Like 1

buy a cheap new helmet and cheap new boots. you can get both for around 200$. Oneal makes a 100$ pair of boots that are not terrible. I have a pair but their not my main boots. worst case scenario you could probably find used boots on CL.

49 minutes ago, Demo_man said:

I went to the main dirt bike/autosports shope near me Friday and found that a medium thor brand helmet fits me practically perfect little tight but I prefer a slightly tighter fit I'm in north carolina as far as boots I dont know what id where I know in regular leather boots I wear a size 9 in a georgia boot