Jump to content

Considering a Beta 2T

Recommended Posts

Little history first.

 

32 years old, OK shape but not winning any competitions. 2019 is my 4th year returning to dirt bikes, rode mostly trail thumpers as a kid / teen. Currently on a 2015 yz250fx. Have very little, and I mean very little, experience on 2 strokes. Mostly trail ride, I have been getting more into obstacles lately as well, but enter some enduros/ harescrambles with 2 goals in mind - have fun and finish. Im a mid pack C rider. 190lbs without gear. 5’11. Had a couple year battle with tendonitis and joint inflammation, used to get brutal arm pump 10 minutes into a trail ride, but most of that is gone now - as of this year. Some personal goals for the winter are to get into shape with flexibility training, cardio, and some strength training.

 

So I’m looking at buying a new bike and was just going to stick with a new FX, but with all the smokers available I thought I might try one out. Going to a guys house tonight to try his 2017 250rr. Another guy I know has a 300rr that has also extended me an invitation to ride it.

 

Been doing quite a bit of internet research and youtube watching. I honestly think the 300 is above my abilities. The 250 seems right, but with all the glowing reviews of the 200 - Im thinking maybe thats the way to go.

 

Ive always been more of a lugger than a screamer, however as I’m becoming faster on my FX, Ive been noticing that I have been revving out the motor a bit more.

 

3 things that concern me most about a 2 stroke. Power delivery, vibrations, lack of engine breaking.

 

Power delivery I know is widely adjustable on the Beta; making me less concerned about that.

 

The 2020’s have the CB, but they may be out of my price range. Id most likely be looking at a 2019 or leftover 2018 250 ( if I could find one ).

 

The lack of engine breaking only makes me nervous because I would be adjusting the way I ride. I suppose its more of a security blanket than anything else. Lazy riding I suppose.

 

The next bike I buy is going to be around for a while, so I am trying to do as much research as possible. I will not be purchasing a bike without trying one first, but I appreciate the TT community opinions.

 

Also, I was looking at a leftover KTM 250xcw. My only thing with KTM is...its a KTM and then you become “part of the club”. I figure If Im spending this much on a toy, why not spend the little extra and get something like a Beta.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the bikes. That's how you'll know.  The better I get, and the better I'm riding, the lower my RPMs are.  Now this is woods/enduro/trail riding.  Not MX.  Beta's are generally less expensive than a KTM.  I love 2 strokes.  I also love 4 strokes.  I think I just love dirtbikes.  It don't matter none.  just ride

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are very young and have plenty of time to get stronger and lots of room for skill growth. At your age I think you would grow into a 250 or 300. The 300 pistons last forever. Just look for the best deal with the add-ons you like. Do not worry about the power, it is overblown. Also the whole vibration thing is also silly. I have never been riding and even thought about vibration, it is a nonstarter. Don't worry about fads or trends. Find a good used BETA 2t without oil injection and with a kicker.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, XRalways said:

Why without oil injection?

Some have had failure in parts of the system. Some have 100's of hours without issues. It's been discussed many times here on several threads. Do some research and decide for yourself if it would be something you think is a concern or not would be my advice. 

The "best" bike for you is such a tough thing for anyone else to determine. It's so dependant on your terrain and what type of riding is or is going to be your primary type of riding. 

My advice would be to try to hop a ride on as many different bikes as possible from 300 on down and keep in mind how it will work for you for 90% of the situations you find yourself riding. 

They are all excellent bikes and many have been in your same situation and adapted and been happy with 300,250,200. 

Watch as many videos as you can with these different bikes in similar terrain as you ride and listen carefully to how the motor is working. You'll find some good valuable insights there as well. 

Hope this helps and good luck with your venture into the 2-stroke world. 

BTW, you have a fantastic bike already. I've been riding my cousin's '17 YZ250FX all summer and it's a great bike. Very capable. He's done 2 races here in the NW woods in B class and done well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, XRalways said:

Why without oil injection?

Because it can fail.

Do they fail often? No

If yours fails will it toast your motor? Yes

Besides, mixing gas is part of the ritual. ☯️

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beta300recat said:

Besides, mixing gas is part of the ritual.

it also burns more calories than topping off a injector oil tank while also keeping you sharp at quickly using ratios in your head. For the health benefits! :prof:

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be trying any that I can. Like I said, heading out tonight to try a 250rr.

 

The vibration issue has always been something I’ve noticed. I used to have a streetbike that vibrated badly and it used to make my hands go numb. I rode my friends ‘11 XC250 for about 15 minutes and I noticed it vibrated a lot.

 

Just on what I know about 2 strokes in general, the 250 seems a bit intimidating but the 200 - with the reports of lots of torque, seems ideal. Just looking for opinions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your situation sounds exactly like mine.  I went from a 15' YZ250FX to a 17' 250RR at age 33.  Never having owned a 2 stroke (though had ridden plenty) i just kinda went for it as i wanted to try something new.  Im not going to lie, I was having some regrets at first and was thinking to myself maybe I'm just a 4-stroke guy.  I contemplated selling the Beta and getting a 17' 250XCF.  I just found the bike harder to ride and just too raw feeling if that makes sense.  Then one day it just kinda clicked (about 6 rides in) and i started to gel with the bike, the power, the twitchiness and overall feel.  It became fun to ride, and eventually a lot easier than the FX in the tight stuff.  Now I look back and cant imagine going back to a thumper here in the PNW gnar.  Maybe as a second bike for longer, easier rides, but never as my primary woods weapon.

Point is, you may not love it right away when jumping on a 250 2-stroke (or 300) if you don't have experience with owning one.  Thats not to say you won't, but don't be immediately discouraged if you find yourself feeling the same way i did.  Its going to feel alot, and i mean a lot more explosive than your FX.  My experience is the 2 stroke is harder to learn initially, but easier to ride once you have experience with both.  And there is no doubt they are more fun.  Thats the best part about it.    

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And let me add one more thing.  As my style has grown with this bike, for me personally, i find that the 250RR likes to be ridden a bit on the pipe.  Will it lug well, yes, but i have found the sweet spot right on that low-mid range.  Basically just keeping the R's right on the pipe threshold.  Where i use to pull 3rd through slower stuff (when early on into the relationship), i now find myself riding 2nd more and letting it sing a bit.  With the 300, I am almost always a gear tall as thats where i find she likes to be.

 

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, XRalways said:

 

Little history first.

 

32 years old, OK shape but not winning any competitions. 2019 is my 4th year returning to dirt bikes, rode mostly trail thumpers as a kid / teen. Currently on a 2015 yz250fx. Have very little, and I mean very little, experience on 2 strokes. Mostly trail ride, I have been getting more into obstacles lately as well, but enter some enduros/ harescrambles with 2 goals in mind - have fun and finish. Im a mid pack C rider. 190lbs without gear. 5’11. Had a couple year battle with tendonitis and joint inflammation, used to get brutal arm pump 10 minutes into a trail ride, but most of that is gone now - as of this year. Some personal goals for the winter are to get into shape with flexibility training, cardio, and some strength training.

 

So I’m looking at buying a new bike and was just going to stick with a new FX, but with all the smokers available I thought I might try one out. Going to a guys house tonight to try his 2017 250rr. Another guy I know has a 300rr that has also extended me an invitation to ride it.

 

Been doing quite a bit of internet research and youtube watching. I honestly think the 300 is above my abilities. The 250 seems right, but with all the glowing reviews of the 200 - Im thinking maybe thats the way to go.

 

Ive always been more of a lugger than a screamer, however as I’m becoming faster on my FX, Ive been noticing that I have been revving out the motor a bit more.

 

3 things that concern me most about a 2 stroke. Power delivery, vibrations, lack of engine breaking.

 

Power delivery I know is widely adjustable on the Beta; making me less concerned about that.

 

The 2020’s have the CB, but they may be out of my price range. Id most likely be looking at a 2019 or leftover 2018 250 ( if I could find one ).

 

The lack of engine breaking only makes me nervous because I would be adjusting the way I ride. I suppose its more of a security blanket than anything else. Lazy riding I suppose.

 

The next bike I buy is going to be around for a while, so I am trying to do as much research as possible. I will not be purchasing a bike without trying one first, but I appreciate the TT community opinions.

 

Also, I was looking at a leftover KTM 250xcw. My only thing with KTM is...its a KTM and then you become “part of the club”. I figure If Im spending this much on a toy, why not spend the little extra and get something like a Beta.

 

Ride some 2 strokes, then you’ll know if it’s for you. 

A 200, 250 and 300 are all going to have different engine characteristics. 

Smaller or larger displacement doesn’t mean easier or more difficult to ride. Just different.  

The YZ250FX is an awesome bike. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, XRalways said:

Ive always been more of a lugger than a screamer, however as I’m becoming faster on my FX, Ive been noticing that I have been revving out the motor a bit more.

One thing to add, is that Beta motors are excellent for low end power delivery across the model line up. Each of the bikes mentioned (200, 250, 300) can easily be lugged without stalling with minimal clutch work necessary. 

The 300 is the ultimate lugger obviously. It can be tuned to deliver power very smoothly without a hit. It does have a lot of punch, so can be a handful for some. 

The 250 can be ridden a gear high all day, but revs quicker. It's a fun bike and very capable. With a few easy mods, it you can tame it a bit as well. 

The 200 can lug amazingly well for a smaller cc bike. It's advantage over the other 2 others is it's light weight and smaller bfeel allows you to feel like you are riding it and it's never riding you, if that makes sense. Very confidence inspiring and fun factor is high. 

Looks like you will get a chance to ride the 250 and possibly the 300. If you can find someone with a 200, even a KTM, it'll give you a good sense for the feel of the bike. 

NWdrz has some good insights as well! 

Similarly, I really got back into riding a lot in my early 30's after a 7-8 year layoff as we were starting our family. I went with a KTM 200 right off the bat and absolutely loved it. It really helped me develop good clutch and throttle control and always put a huge smile on my face. 

Now, 18 year later, I have the Beta 300 now, but added another KTM 200 a couple of weeks ago for fun to ride this winter. They are an absolute blast to ride! 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, XRalways said:

 

Little history first.

 

32 years old, OK shape but not winning any competitions. 2019 is my 4th year returning to dirt bikes, rode mostly trail thumpers as a kid / teen. Currently on a 2015 yz250fx. Have very little, and I mean very little, experience on 2 strokes. Mostly trail ride, I have been getting more into obstacles lately as well, but enter some enduros/ harescrambles with 2 goals in mind - have fun and finish. Im a mid pack C rider. 190lbs without gear. 5’11. Had a couple year battle with tendonitis and joint inflammation, used to get brutal arm pump 10 minutes into a trail ride, but most of that is gone now - as of this year. Some personal goals for the winter are to get into shape with flexibility training, cardio, and some strength training.

 

So I’m looking at buying a new bike and was just going to stick with a new FX, but with all the smokers available I thought I might try one out. Going to a guys house tonight to try his 2017 250rr. Another guy I know has a 300rr that has also extended me an invitation to ride it.

 

Been doing quite a bit of internet research and youtube watching. I honestly think the 300 is above my abilities. The 250 seems right, but with all the glowing reviews of the 200 - Im thinking maybe thats the way to go.

 

Ive always been more of a lugger than a screamer, however as I’m becoming faster on my FX, Ive been noticing that I have been revving out the motor a bit more.

 

3 things that concern me most about a 2 stroke. Power delivery, vibrations, lack of engine breaking.

 

Power delivery I know is widely adjustable on the Beta; making me less concerned about that.

 

The 2020’s have the CB, but they may be out of my price range. Id most likely be looking at a 2019 or leftover 2018 250 ( if I could find one ).

 

The lack of engine breaking only makes me nervous because I would be adjusting the way I ride. I suppose its more of a security blanket than anything else. Lazy riding I suppose.

 

The next bike I buy is going to be around for a while, so I am trying to do as much research as possible. I will not be purchasing a bike without trying one first, but I appreciate the TT community opinions.

 

Also, I was looking at a leftover KTM 250xcw. My only thing with KTM is...its a KTM and then you become “part of the club”. I figure If Im spending this much on a toy, why not spend the little extra and get something like a Beta.

 

Its good to try different bikes. Just don't buy them new unless you are sure that is the bike you want.     Get a used bike, figure out the 2 stroke thing, then sell and upgrade.    I also went from 4 strokes to 2 strokes and I can tell you... its an acquired taste.  A very good taste, but still an acquired one.

Regarding the ktm's and being "part of the club"...    so what!  Who gives a flying F*^! what anyone else thinks.  This is about you, your fun, your money, etc..   They are great, reliable as hell, easy to work on, widely available, reasonably priced and you will get all your money back when you sell it.      a used KTM 2 stroke is a no brainer, no risk purchase.   I still have mine 

If you want, you can try one to see if you like two strokes.    The power is there in abundance if you know where to find it, the vibrations are not an issue, and the engine braking isn't a big problem.  you have to give it a year, then decide if you like it before buying a new one for $10K

 

Good Luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very close to getting the yz250fx when shopping for a new bike to replace my trusty yet tired Kdx200. What stopped me from getting the Yz was the seat height. Then a got to test ride the 300 rr and loved it immediately. I can almost flat foot it making me more confident in the tight stuff. As far as the power band , it is very similar to a 4st in that it is very broad and will lug if need be, but is very linear in delivery. I have yet to come close to a whiskey throttle situation but it will if you aren’t careful. Like others have said try to demo all of you can, but the 300 is very user friendly.

Edited by 2milehighspike
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Just_a_trail_rider said:

Its good to try different bikes. Just don't buy them new unless you are sure that is the bike you want.     Get a used bike, figure out the 2 stroke thing, then sell and upgrade.    I also went from 4 strokes to 2 strokes and I can tell you... its an acquired taste.  A very good taste, but still an acquired one.

Regarding the ktm's and being "part of the club"...    so what!  Who gives a flying F*^! what anyone else thinks.  This is about you, your fun, your money, etc..   They are great, reliable as hell, easy to work on, widely available, reasonably priced and you will get all your money back when you sell it.      a used KTM 2 stroke is a no brainer, no risk purchase.   I still have mine 

If you want, you can try one to see if you like two strokes.    The power is there in abundance if you know where to find it, the vibrations are not an issue, and the engine braking isn't a big problem.  you have to give it a year, then decide if you like it before buying a new one for $10K

 

Good Luck

That’s a good point, see if you can find a clean kdx200, they are stone cold reliable and very nice ones are out there.it can give you a taste of the 2st world. Then if you like it get a new one.But if you do get  Any of the Beta 2st you WILL love it.

Edited by 2milehighspike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, firffighter said:

One thing to add, is that Beta motors are excellent for low end power delivery across the model line up. Each of the bikes mentioned (200, 250, 300) can easily be lugged without stalling with minimal clutch work necessary. 

The 300 is the ultimate lugger obviously. It can be tuned to deliver power very smoothly without a hit. It does have a lot of punch, so can be a handful for some. 

The 250 can be ridden a gear high all day, but revs quicker. It's a fun bike and very capable. With a few easy mods, it you can tame it a bit as well. 

The 200 can lug amazingly well for a smaller cc bike. It's advantage over the other 2 others is it's light weight and smaller bfeel allows you to feel like you are riding it and it's never riding you, if that makes sense. Very confidence inspiring and fun factor is high. 

Looks like you will get a chance to ride the 250 and possibly the 300. If you can find someone with a 200, even a KTM, it'll give you a good sense for the feel of the bike. 

NWdrz has some good insights as well! 

Similarly, I really got back into riding a lot in my early 30's after a 7-8 year layoff as we were starting our family. I went with a KTM 200 right off the bat and absolutely loved it. It really helped me develop good clutch and throttle control and always put a huge smile on my face. 

Now, 18 year later, I have the Beta 300 now, but added another KTM 200 a couple of weeks ago for fun to ride this winter. They are an absolute blast to ride! 

Thank you for posting this. I’m also planning on buying my first 2 stroke and interested in the Beta 200. I’ve been riding a 2016 KTM 350  xcfw (my first real dirt bike and love it), but curious to try a lighter and smaller bike as I build up more skills and confidence. I’m in Seattle and we have a Beta dealer across Lake Washington in Bellevue. I started riding on dirt later in life (first time was when I was 39) and I’m now 47 and really love the sport. I’m a former street bike rider but gave that up after having kids. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank you for posting this. I’m also planning on buying my first 2 stroke and interested in the Beta 200. I’ve been riding a 2016 KTM 350  xcfw (my first real dirt bike and love it), but curious to try a lighter and smaller bike as I build up more skills and confidence. I’m in Seattle and we have a Beta dealer across Lake Washington in Bellevue. I started riding on dirt later in life (first time was when I was 39) and I’m now 47 and really love the sport. I’m a former street bike rider but gave that up after having kids. 


I’m in Seattle as well, actually Everett to be exact now. If you ever want to take a spin on the 250rr you are welcome to. I’m at Walker, and other local areas up North quite a bit.
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks NW_drZ! I’ve never ridden Walker Valley and would love to explore that area. I’m in West Seattle and have been riding in Tahuya. I rode some trails above Cle Elum two Friday’s ago (Taneum) and impacted a tree pretty hard so I’m still recovering but should be ready to ride again a few weeks. Is Walker Valley open during winter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, XRalways said:

 

Little history first.

 

32 years old, OK shape but not winning any competitions. 2019 is my 4th year returning to dirt bikes, rode mostly trail thumpers as a kid / teen. Currently on a 2015 yz250fx. Have very little, and I mean very little, experience on 2 strokes. Mostly trail ride, I have been getting more into obstacles lately as well, but enter some enduros/ harescrambles with 2 goals in mind - have fun and finish. Im a mid pack C rider. 190lbs without gear. 5’11. Had a couple year battle with tendonitis and joint inflammation, used to get brutal arm pump 10 minutes into a trail ride, but most of that is gone now - as of this year. Some personal goals for the winter are to get into shape with flexibility training, cardio, and some strength training.

 

So I’m looking at buying a new bike and was just going to stick with a new FX, but with all the smokers available I thought I might try one out. Going to a guys house tonight to try his 2017 250rr. Another guy I know has a 300rr that has also extended me an invitation to ride it.

 

Been doing quite a bit of internet research and youtube watching. I honestly think the 300 is above my abilities. The 250 seems right, but with all the glowing reviews of the 200 - Im thinking maybe thats the way to go.

 

Ive always been more of a lugger than a screamer, however as I’m becoming faster on my FX, Ive been noticing that I have been revving out the motor a bit more.

 

3 things that concern me most about a 2 stroke. Power delivery, vibrations, lack of engine breaking.

 

Power delivery I know is widely adjustable on the Beta; making me less concerned about that.

 

The 2020’s have the CB, but they may be out of my price range. Id most likely be looking at a 2019 or leftover 2018 250 ( if I could find one ).

 

The lack of engine breaking only makes me nervous because I would be adjusting the way I ride. I suppose its more of a security blanket than anything else. Lazy riding I suppose.

 

The next bike I buy is going to be around for a while, so I am trying to do as much research as possible. I will not be purchasing a bike without trying one first, but I appreciate the TT community opinions.

 

Also, I was looking at a leftover KTM 250xcw. My only thing with KTM is...its a KTM and then you become “part of the club”. I figure If Im spending this much on a toy, why not spend the little extra and get something like a Beta.

 

How would a 300 be beyond your abilities? The Beta 300s are pussy cats in power delivery. Very smooth and linear. 

I’m a shitty rider that can goon it up with the worst and I love my 300. I’ve ridden and raced both a 250 and 300 and couldn’t imagine going back to a 250. The torque can be a huge difference maker in tough terrain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of engine braking is a non issue. Yes the 2-st will have less, but it’s easy to adjust. I went from a 350 xcfw to a 300re. In many ways the 350 is a better motor. It’s smoother and more electric. The 300 is good. It likes being ridding a gear high to cut down the snap. The 300 is lighter and you can feel the difference while riding.

I didn’t find the pv springs to cause much change in power. To me, jetting makes more difference in power delivery than the pv. The 300 does rip if you twist the throttle. Honestly I would consider 200 if I lived at sea level instead of 7000ft. No real need for 45 hp in a dirt Ike for trail riding considering we get along with less than 30 hp at elevation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...