2001 Honda cr500 starting issues

Help!

So I bought this cr500 and it is a complete dog to start.

2000 cr500 in a 2005 Crf450 frame.

FMF GNARLY pipe

Honda 2000 cr250 carb (pwk 38mm airstriker)

45 pilot, 172 main, 6.0 slide, unknown needle

Vforce reeds

Was told the motor has hotrods bottom end and vertex top end ‘two seasons ago’

Would never start when I kicked it, would wheelie when I bump started it. Spark tested and was blue, but not consistent whatsoever.

Could see light through both reeds and one had a noticeable gap.

Bought the following to try to help.

New ansoil dominator premix and gas

New air filter

Boyeson rad valve

New plug (Br8eix and br8eg)

New coil (genuine Honda)

Ngk racing coil and cap

Msv dual source coil mod

Spark is very strong now. When I kick it with decompression valve pushed in it pops out much more consistently than before.

However, now it won’t start or bump start.

Took it to the shop and they are scratching their heads as well. They cleaned carb and can’t get it to bump start. They said that they can’t get it to idle. It sounds like they are getting it to fire. Exhaust comes out of pipe consistently with each kick.

Is it possible the carb is the wrong one, or too far from the cylinder?

I’ve tried so many pilots with no success.

Should I just buy a lectron?

Should I buy a panthera e-start?

Is it possible it needs a piston even though it is very difficult to kick?

I may have them look at the cylinder (nikasealed by millennium technologies) and piston as I am running out of ideas.

This has been going on for so long and I’m desperate.

56782262074__99F21D7F-5B28-45BA-8EB1-D5B085E36FEB.JPG

The starting drill for a cr500 is to turn the gas on, apply the choke, lay bike on the ground for a few seconds until gas comes out, upright bike, bring kicklever to the top of compression stroke and kick like a mule.

• Like 1

Do you know who built it?

Do you know if it is the stock CR 500 ignition? Or has it been upgraded to a CR 250 ignition ?

Is the timing correct depending on the ignition installed?

I find you have to kick it like you hate it, with or without the decompression valve engaged or not, after following the starting procedure as outlined in the previous post.

A properly set CR500 will start easily enough.

Good luck.

Thanks guys.

It’s a cr500 ignition.
I had the stator plate off when I installed the dual source coil modification and new pickup coil.

I believe that I installed the cotter key and aligned the timing mark correctly, worth checking.

Just talked to the shop.

It pops and fires the decompression valve out consistently while kicking or bump starting. However it doesn’t want to idle.

They confirmed there is a ton of spark.

New plug, cleaned carb, etc

Any ideas?

Before I took it there I could get the decompression valve to pop very easily and it sounded like it wanted to run, but wouldn’t.

I read elsewhere and saw that there might be old gas in the crank that can cause issues. Told the dealer and he may put it upside with plug out to crank that out.

Any ideas?

The flywheel “ key” (woodruff key) May have sheared, would still get spark, however timing would be off, as the flywheel would not be locked to the crankshaft. You need to pull the flywheel off to confirm the condition of the key.

Good luck!

?

I think your right. I was just reading in the owners manual and read a portion about lining up the “F” mark with the timing mark on the bottom of the stator plate.

I thought that all went together smoothly but I could be wrong.

I’ll call the dealer in the morning and give them a heads up.

Thanks GB1073!

IMG_1612.JPG

So I know that I just slid the flywheel over the woodruff key and tightened to 40 foot pounds.

I didn’t check the F mark as shown in the manual.

Is it possible that the f mark wouldn’t line up but the flywheel could still be on the woodruff key?

I think I need to get it at TDC and then it should align, hopefully....

I’ll call the shop tomorrow and be in touch

Definitely not lined up correctly.

Ordered a new woodruff key that should be in Thursday or Friday. Hopefully that does the trick!

IMG_1618.JPG

On 9/29/2019 at 12:01 PM, hondaxr650rrrr said:

The starting drill for a cr500 is to turn the gas on, apply the choke, lay bike on the ground for a few seconds until gas comes out, upright bike, bring kicklever to the top of compression stroke and kick like a mule.

Theres no need to lay the bike on its side until fuel come out

• Like 1

Ok so here is the update from the shop.

Spark is great
Timing is correct now ( new woodruff key)
Still won’t start.
They did a compression test and could only get it up to about 70 pounds. He is going to try tomorrow but it would appear a new top end is needed.

Do the nickel plated cylinders hold up pretty well? This one was done by millennium technologies. I hope I don’t have to mess with the cylinder.

What is the best piston? I was thinking wiseco or vertex.

2 hours ago, Rmzcarl said:

Ok so here is the update from the shop.

Spark is great
Timing is correct now ( new woodruff key)
Still won’t start.
They did a compression test and could only get it up to about 70 pounds. He is going to try tomorrow but it would appear a new top end is needed.

Do the nickel plated cylinders hold up pretty well? This one was done by millennium technologies. I hope I don’t have to mess with the cylinder.

What is the best piston? I was thinking wiseco or vertex.

Dam only 70 psi I thought mine was a bit low at 130psi. Mine starts easy and runs like a raped ape. I have a pwk39 on mine 52 pilot 165 main needle clip in the middle slot. As for the piston I'd go with the weisco. That's what I have in my 88cr500/ 00 cr250 chassis and In the 95 cr500 motor I have. From what I've heard with weiscos is fire it up and let it get good and warm before ripping on it.

Dam only 70 psi I thought mine was a bit low at 130psi. Mine starts easy and runs like a raped ape. I have a pwk39 on mine 52 pilot 165 main needle clip in the middle slot. As for the piston I'd go with the weisco. That's what I have in my 88cr500/ 00 cr250 chassis and In the 95 cr500 motor I have. From what I've heard with weiscos is fire it up and let it get good and warm before ripping on it.

What is a raped ape like? How does an ape get raped even? I've always wondered about such absurd statements. My 96 CR250 runs just like a 96 CR250 and it's completely consensual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Awesome info, thanks!

Nice bike! From the looks of it, it looks like one of those kitted AF bikes, cool stuff. Big bore man's bikes need some technique to get em' to fire up. My old school 500R seemed to need a routine when cold to get it to come to life. I did the gas on, choke open routine, then I would put it in a semi tall gear and rock and cycle the engine a couple of times to prime it, dry ground helps. Then slap it into neutral, find TDC and use a full body boot on the starter, it usually took 2 kicks to fire up mine. Once started, let it warm up, so it wont could foul, then go get some, and hang on for dear life! LOL! I'm still trying to fit my arms back into their sockets from riding/racing that monster, Haaa!😁6076239563_81e5cf0ced_z.jpg.c741899dfc9ed4a08f5dc7b4e68c103d.jpg

6 hours ago, Tltaylor1 said:
On 10/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, UPSWR450 said:
Theres no need to lay the bike on its side until fuel come out

But it helps...

Not really. All I do is turn the fuel on wait a min till the bowl fills up turn the choke on and in about 3 kicks or less its fired.

Thanks! Looking forward to riding it.

I want to race it in the veterans class, whenever it runs...

28760106888_c568aa9a3c_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Rmzcarl said:

Thanks! Looking forward to riding it.

I want to race it in the veterans class, whenever it runs...

28760106888_c568aa9a3c_o.jpg

On a side note I'm jetted the way I am due to I'm at about 5000ft so yours would differ from mine