get 2019 300 tpi with doscount or 2020 300 tpi w/o kickstart?

Hi,

planning to get soon 2 stroke 300 tpi either husky or ktm

but not sure if it's worthy pay a bit extra do newest models 2020?

Got already offer on husky TE300i with some discount, what you think?

newest upgrades worth the money?

36 minutes ago, motf said:

Hi,

Unless they totally changed the bike like Honda did with the CRF450R this past year I would just save money on the 2019.

3 minutes ago, BOAB said:

Unless they totally changed the bike like Honda did with the CRF450R this past year I would just save money on the 2019.

actually they changed quite a bit as I heard, like frame etc. for better or worse who knows...

Edited by motf

13 minutes ago, motf said:

actually they changed quite a bit as I heard, like frame etc. for better or worse who knows...

That was one of the changes on the Honda, but it turned out to be for the good.

2 hours ago, motf said:

Hi,

The changes for 2020 were significant enough for me to spend the extras. New frame, new wiring harness, new head to allow for a standard BR7ES, Pankl transmission, ambient air pressure sensor, more precise exhaust port timing.

20190905_190224~2.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, motf said:

how about suspesnion? some saying front is much softer...

It's fairly soft. I'm about 180-185lbs without gear. When the trail opens up to 4th gear terrain, it feels a bit mushy. I'm going to go up one size on the springs and see how it works. The suspension is much better than the '16 4CS forks on my old FE350 though.

The changes for 2020 were significant enough for me to spend the extras. New frame, new wiring harness, new head to allow for a standard BR7ES, Pankl transmission, ambient air pressure sensor, more precise exhaust port timing.

1277826431_20190905_1902242.jpg.7557815fe292d13d86abdb8d56d03a1e.jpg

Actually head is still the same part number is the same from 19-20
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

But the best, newest, up to date with a kick starter the first time, it's much cheaper that way. Otherwise you get the second best and then buy the best next year or the year after.

4 hours ago, Eldon said:

It's fairly soft. I'm about 180-185lbs without gear. When the trail opens up to 4th gear terrain, it feels a bit mushy. I'm going to go up one size on the springs and see how it works. The suspension is much better than the '16 4CS forks on my old FE350 though.

A fork full of cream cheese would be better than a 4cs....

• Haha 3

Also depends on how often you purchase a new bike, and whether you're looking to try to recoup money on your last bike as a trade-in or just to sell locally. A tear newer bike sounds better when trying to sell it.

I started a thread on the subject a little while ago on here. I picked up a 2019, it was a lot less $ and updates didn't add up to that for me.

The Kickstart kit is either $200 or $250. The 20 will be worth more than that difference in resale when the time comes.

13 hours ago, Nex said:

I started a thread on the subject a little while ago on here. I picked up a 2019, it was a lot less $ and updates didn't add up to that for me.

New frame, new forks, new shock, new radiators, new throttle body, new ambient air sensor, new power valve, new gear box...   Sheesh it's 65%+ new.

Don't get me wrong, the 19's are a fine bike.  But just the way you're trying to justify it doesn't make sense.   What kind of updates would have made it make sense?  Wings, jet power?

What did you pay OTD for your 19?

Doc

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

New frame, new forks, new shock, new radiators, new throttle body, new ambient air sensor, new power valve, new gear box...   Sheesh it's 65%+ new.

well,  nice but "new" doesn't mean automatically better or improved, right?

as a matter o fact quite often what's older seems to be better quality...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

Don't get me wrong, the 19's are a fine bike.  But just the way you're trying to justify it doesn't make sense.   What kind of updates would have made it make sense?  Wings, jet power?

What did you pay OTD for your 19?

Doc

It was $1800 less than 2020 otd price. I'm not saying they didn't change anything, but to me these updates didn't add up to $1.8k.

I'd take wings for added down force, MotoGP technology trickle down ftw! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, motf said:

well,  nice but "new" doesn't mean automatically better or improved, right?

as a matter o fact quite often what's older seems to be better quality...

I'd say as a general rule, all the dirt bike manufacturers bike's have gotten better over time.  Sure there might be some blips with some bad design choices.  But overall I think they generally get better.  I don't see people lining up to buy 2005 models.   I don't see people with 2017s saying "Boy I wish KTM didn't put this stupid counter balancer in, it was so much better as a paint shaker".

Is a 2019 better than a 2020... I own a 2020, so I'll concede that I'd probably have some underlying bias.   But if you go watch reviews, such as videos from Slavens, it seems like the consensus is the 2020's are pretty darn good in comparison.    So if you buy into that, then the next question is how much cheaper does a 2019 have to be before the loss in resale and loss in those new design changes makes sense.   Well that's you call as the buyer.

My 2020 300 XC-W was $10,3xx out the door.   For me...  I'd have had to been out the door for less than $9K for me to consider a '19.  But everyone has their own beliefs and budget constraints.  So maybe for you that analysis would be different.

Either way, go get one and ride!

Doc

4 minutes ago, Nex said:

It was $1800 less than 2020 otd price. I'm not saying they didn't change anything, but to me these updates didn't add up to $1.8k.

I'd take wings for added down force, MotoGP technology trickle down ftw! 

So like $8,600 out the door?   That would have tempted me.

Doc

• Like 1

BTW resale value it not that important to me as I will keep it for 3-4 years and by then bike will be beat up good so it won't make much difference LOL

the one with discount is husky which is usually a bit better in components used right?  price difference to ktm 300tpi after rebate is like 700$ I believe.

Edited by motf