'11 Husky TE511 for a '17 WR250R

I own a 2017 Yamaha WR250R and have been offered a trade for a 2011 Husky TE511. Wondering what you guys think of the Husky and if that might be a fair trade. I ride almost exclusively off-road these days and do some local dual sport events. I also have a couple of KTM 250 EXC-f's and I love them. I feel like the Husky might be more in line with those bikes, which would be awesome. Anyone know much about the TE511? Would it be as great as my 250 EXC-f's in the tight woods we have hear in the north east? Any common issues or things to look out for? 

I have A 2012 TE511.

it is a great engine, and the bike can be really good, but it takes a bit of work to make it right.

the bike requires a shorter rear shock spring to get rid of the stinkbug feel and the tendency for the front end to push in soft sand.

it is a fairly expensive bike new, but support is kind of hit and miss as it is an orphan now that KTM bought husky from the Italians.

I really like mine, but it is pretty big for tight trail riding (particularly with the desert tank now and the tool/saddle bags - the bikes size (and heft) is a big reason I also own a tx300. The TE is now strictly used in the desert and for dual-sport stuff now.

all in all, th TE is a great bike, but it will be considerably bigger than your wr or the 250excs.

likely a better bike for on road or in fast washes, but big for tight technical single track.

A5925D77-6415-4B4C-91AC-FFFA7587C1EC.jpeg

• Helpful 1

13 hours ago, Husa islander said:

keep the wr.

Straight and to the point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SloChicken said:

support is kind of hit and miss as it is an orphan now that KTM bought husky from the Italians.

Keep the WRR as support for Italian Huskys is circling the drain.

6 minutes ago, DaveCR said:

Keep the WRR as support for Italian Huskys is circling the drain.

GasGas owners take note

• Like 4

On 9/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, wxm8562 said:

I own a 2017 Yamaha WR250R and have been offered a trade for a 2011 Husky TE511.

You can do much better than this.

Had te449. Great motor but slow compared to other 450 dual sports. 60 mph typically pretty buzzy due to non wide ratio transmission. Broke swing arm mounting bolts three times and never jumped the bike. They’re pencil diameter. Having no large rear swing arm bolt going through the motor resulted in big engine vibes too. Was happy to sell. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 12:01 AM, SloChicken said:

I have A 2012 TE511.

it is a great engine, and the bike can be really good, but it takes a bit of work to make it right.

the bike requires a shorter rear shock spring to get rid of the stinkbug feel and the tendency for the front end to push in soft sand.

it is a fairly expensive bike new, but support is kind of hit and miss as it is an orphan now that KTM bought husky from the Italians.

I really like mine, but it is pretty big for tight trail riding (particularly with the desert tank now and the tool/saddle bags - the bikes size (and heft) is a big reason I also own a tx300. The TE is now strictly used in the desert and for dual-sport stuff now.

all in all, th TE is a great bike, but it will be considerably bigger than your wr or the 250excs.

likely a better bike for on road or in fast washes, but big for tight technical single track.

A5925D77-6415-4B4C-91AC-FFFA7587C1EC.jpeg

Hi sorry to open an old thread but I'm considering getting a 2011 te511. I know pretty much nothing about the bike except for the little bit I've seen on YouTube and read here on TT. I'm a smaller guy five foot six and a little chubby at 165. Been riding dirt bikes my whole life. This will be my second dual sport coming off of a converted CRF450X. I'm trading a 2008 Husqvarna sm610 for it as the SM just isn't quite the bike for me. I want a more 50/50 dual sport bike. Just wondering on your opinion on whether I should go for it or if it would be the bike I want. I want both on an offer for road performance. Thank you

1 hour ago, CanuckenEH said:

Hi sorry to open an old thread but I'm considering getting a 2011 te511. I know pretty much nothing about the bike except for the little bit I've seen on YouTube and read here on TT. I'm a smaller guy five foot six and a little chubby at 165. Been riding dirt bikes my whole life. This will be my second dual sport coming off of a converted CRF450X. I'm trading a 2008 Husqvarna sm610 for it as the SM just isn't quite the bike for me. I want a more 50/50 dual sport bike. Just wondering on your opinion on whether I should go for it or if it would be the bike I want. I want both on an offer for road performance. Thank you

The only thing appealing about the 11-14 TE TX TC 449/511 is the price.

• Like 1