Brembo clutch not bleeding?!?

Hello all, I’ve been looking all over forums and can’t seem to find an answer.

my clutch lever felt soft on my 2016 250xcw, so I went to bleed the system. First, I tried to gravity bleed (which usually works fine) the fluid would not flow once I cracked the bleeder valve on the slave and pumped the lever. So instead, I tried to reverse bleed with a syringe. After strapping zip ties to the hose, I could not pump fluid into the system. There is no blockage on the bleed nipple, I removed fluid from reservoir and checked for blockage from up top. Oh, the last step I tried was hooking up a vacuum pump to the bleed nipple. That did not work either with vacuum pump set at 10 psi and not losing pressure.

anyways, my next step is to rebuild master cylinder. Does anyone have any input before I go ahead and do so? I also removed my after market clutch lever, tried with OEM Incase it wasn’t pushing the push rod hard enough. That wasn’t the issue..

Couple stupid questions. 1, did you make sure the bleeder valve was open enough when you when to reverse bleed it? Shouldn't be any reason why you can't push more fluid into the system, especially if it was working before. Also, make sure you reservoir cap is off when you are pushing in fluid so the pressure has somewhere to dissipate.

2, another way to add fluid to system is fill reservoir. Next, crack bleeder valve, pull in clutch, then before you let go of clutch, close bleeder valve. Very important you close valve before you let go of clutch so air doesn't get in system. Do this about 100 times or so until you have clutch feel.

Sorry if you already know these things...just weird that it was working before, but now you cant even add in fluid. Good luck brother.

I've had this exact problem before. I'm admittedly not super experienced with bleeding stuff, but I couldn't get the fluid to move for the life of me. I ended up filling up the slave cylinder, and then filling up the line and master cylinder and screwing them all together. Sounds dumb, but it helped. Then I wiggled the lever around and opened and shut the bleeder valve like the guy above said. It takes a while but finally works. I've done this twice.

I just replaced my son's clutch hose.  I was able to bleed it however, it takes a long time.  A good trick is to zip-tie the clutch lever to the grip and let it sit overnight.  That always seems to do the trick.  Close the bleeder valve of course.  Hope this helps.   

On 9/29/2019 at 1:46 PM, Kacer said:

Hello all, I’ve been looking all over forums and can’t seem to find an answer.

my clutch lever felt soft on my 2016 250xcw, so I went to bleed the system. First, I tried to gravity bleed (which usually works fine) the fluid would not flow once I cracked the bleeder valve on the slave and pumped the lever. So instead, I tried to reverse bleed with a syringe. After strapping zip ties to the hose, I could not pump fluid into the system. There is no blockage on the bleed nipple, I removed fluid from reservoir and checked for blockage from up top. Oh, the last step I tried was hooking up a vacuum pump to the bleed nipple. That did not work either with vacuum pump set at 10 psi and not losing pressure.

anyways, my next step is to rebuild master cylinder. Does anyone have any input before I go ahead and do so? I also removed my after market clutch lever, tried with OEM Incase it wasn’t pushing the push rod hard enough. That wasn’t the issue..

hi, how did you fix it? i'm with the same problem now

I have the same problem.  Can’t reverse bleed.  The plunger will not move at all.  I was able to reverse bleed about 3 months ago and now I can’t.  Very odd.  Anyone have any extra tips in addition to the ones above?

You'll see the bleed nipple assembly is in 2 parts - presume you are loosening the nipple and not the part that screws into the slave. We made that mistake the first time we bled our 2016 clutch. Couldn't get the syringe to push fluid in as I'd loosened wrong part. Just a suggestion. Bob

Edited by 7Tktm