XR650L Should I Buy This XR650L?

Hi Folks, new to the world of thumpers and dual sports, so I would appreciate your wisdom. I've been riding for 10 years, but always on the street, and have wanted to get more into the adventure riding scene. Mostly the off-road piece which is why I am favoring dual-sport bikes. Anyway, I have been keeping an eye on the local classifieds for something with the right price and in the right condition, and a really nice 2015 XR650L popped up with 5k mikes that seems to have been garage kept and rarely been outside. It looks brand new. I really liked that it comes with an Acerbis tank and a set of aluminum Happy Trails cases, which will save me having to add luggage. I took it for a ride and it does vibrate a little more than I expected but I think I'm okay with that. I'm guessing this is par for the course with these bikes. My biggest concern is that the previous owned added a "Kouba" lowering link in the rear and dropped the forks somewhere between 1-2". I'm 6'1" but only have a 32" inseam so I didn't feel that it was too low, but I tend to be wary of modifications that previous owners made to bikes that I might end up having trouble with later on. Does anyone have any input on whether this should be cause for concern? Any other things I should be looking for? Thanks in advance!

DSC_1119.jpg

Sounds like a great bike. You might like having the 650 lowered slightly for off-road with 32” inseam. I recently picked up a stock xr650l. My inseam is closer to 34” and the bike feels pretty tall.

i had a kouba link on mine..it wasn`t a real bad thing,,,certainly didn`t hurt anything...

But i re-installed the OE as i like having the full suspension off road,,and with a 32 inch inseam i have no issues with it..even with a taller rear tire..

B

I am 6'4" and my bike is tall. Take off that sexy 80's moped bread box and drive it every day. Mine has the added dog bone I learned yesterday and the front is lowered about 1/2". When balanced, the seat is still 36"+ from the floor at the lowest point.

• Like 1

I want some info on that little, blue basket!  I NEED something like that!

And, FWIW, I'm about 5'8 and my lowering link is a lifesaver.  I'm tippy-toes in most cases.  I may look into lowering the front just a hair.  (Good luck with your decision.  This is my 4th D/S, and by far the best!)

I called and put in a deposit this morning. I was going to take off the blue basket but now I'm not so sure! $4400 out the door with tax and tags.

• Like 1

Just now, Gary Hyer said:

I called and put in a deposit this morning. I was going to take off the blue basket but now I'm not so sure! $4400 out the door with tax and tags.

The lowering link is popular and works fine................. make sure the front fork bolts are torqued and your good to go

Find a new XR650L and sit on it in the showroom........................ it is a tall bike

most do lower it

I lowered mine with a kouba and dropped the front forks 2 inches.  Everything is the same with handling, but it's just lower.  

This page has about 25% of what you can do with the XR...........

Welcome to TT..................... and enjoy the XR650,

it is a classic that has class every day........... 👍

I am 6' with 32" inseam.  I lowered mine with a Kouba link.  I think it is a fine part that is very well made.  I did not raise my front forks 2", only about 5/8" (I think).  Getting the sag set right is important.  I am still messing with mine.  Small increments on the forks will change the handling quite a bit.  I agree with torquing those bolts carefully.  You definitely don't want to get them too tight.  Seems like they are 10 ft. lbs. but double check that.  I can flat foot mine, but could still use a little more lowering.  When I get in tight areas in the woods, it's hard to back it up. 

I like the black engine. If weather turns bad, I may paint some parts black on mine to help in heat removal.

It needs to be ridden, even without the basket.