ITS COLD! What over the cuff warm gloves do you use?

It's getting chilly out and even with the grip heaters on my hands are turning to ice. I've used the Alpinestars Radiant Drystars before which worked pretty good (maybe discontinued?) 

What do you guys use? Because....

20190929_134430.thumb.jpg.29ea1188a0ca9ae46e0b094e61556e13.jpg

When I rode in the winterI used to use a pair of split snowmobile mittens with cotton liners. Kept my hands warm at zero.

• Like 1

I've gotten a couple of pair of colder/wet weather gloves but rarely if ever us them and would have to find them in the bottom of my gear bag cus I don't remember who makes them etc (one pair are neoprene and work good if its cold and really wet) but a couple of other options......

You can make some like these out of say an old big plastic oil jug to block the wind.

giant_loop_bushwackers_hand_guards.jpg

Headed grips if the bike has a battery?

Neoprene gloves

https://www.google.ca/search?q=neoprene+dirt+bike+gloves&sxsrf=ACYBGNStY2IJzaFrA8cs3qiGLf3pnrQtRA:1569795813284&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAgsiOiffkAhUMr54KHQSuA9gQ_AUIESgB&biw=1229&bih=594

16 hours ago, C2.0 said:

It's getting chilly out and even with the grip heaters on my hands are turning to ice. I've used the Alpinestars Radiant Drystars before which worked pretty good (maybe discontinued?) 

What do you guys use? Because....

20190929_134430.thumb.jpg.29ea1188a0ca9ae46e0b094e61556e13.jpg

im in CO so cold weather is always by. anyhow I found out using 2 or 3 gloves (depending how cold it is) works best.

I do ride when its 20 or 30 degrees, so ill bring my battery heated gloves until I warm up, then switch them to a lighter glove

if its 40 or 50, I usually bring some insulated tsreet bike glove then switch them. The biggest tip though is keeping your core and legs as warm as possible then your body will distribute blood to your hands. its a survival thing our bodies do when we are cold, most of the blood gets rushed to our organs and internals before our feet and hands. so i learned overdoing your core helps tremendously in keep your hands warm. So get your core really warm..like uncomfortably warm...yes it will suck but it will keep your hands warm. better vs cold hands 🙂 

if I have a dual sport bike, heated grips. 2 strokes or performance dirtbikes, I think might eat your battery vs how fast it can recharge. I am not sure though, never tried it, just what I heard

older pic when I first started around dec/Jan but i was always out in the cold bc I became obsessed 

image.png.924f1b7ff003fc1e98de06c3d7c1c4cf.png

Edited by RideWithWill
  • Like 2

I wear them latex gloves that docs and nurses wear. I wear them under my riding gloves. 

Blocks the wind and keeps the heat in/cold out. only down side is, if you ride hard your hands could sweat from lack of air circulation. 

• Like 2

Heated snowmobile mittens kept my hands warm down to -22C without heated grips on short (20 minute) street rides. At -10C they were good for hours.

Katahdin makes a warm weather snowmobile/cold weather wrenching glove that is good to -6C or so if you are active, as in running a good trail pace.

Ya it rarely gets below freezing during the winter where I live/ride during the winters and maybe we'll get a week where it might get to -10C but generally mild/rainy. Some winters (and hopefully this one) we'll get little or no snow. Not that cold = snow.

@CDNSXV, looks like you've gotten an early winter and looks like Montana etc got a lot as well.

Just use some grip heaters and some elephant ears.  Perhaps some Moose Expedition gloves.  If you need any more than that, chances are you probably shouldn't be out riding in the first place.

Thanks for the replies!

I have grip heaters but they only heat my palms (better than nothing) the backs of my hands and fingernails still get the bite. I think some elephant ears or GL bushwackers should help. I do layer up, when I went yesterday I had my compression layer, 2 thermal shirts and my Thor Phase jacket but the wind just goes up my sleeve lol that's why I was thinking of over the cuff gloves and/or the wind blocker hand guards since my Barkbuster JETs dont help at all for blocking the weather 

7 minutes ago, C2.0 said:

Thanks for the replies!

I have grip heaters but they only heat my palms (better than nothing) the backs of my hands and fingernails still get the bite. I think some elephant ears or GL bushwackers should help. I do layer up, when I went yesterday I had my compression layer, 2 thermal shirts and my Thor Phase jacket but the wind just goes up my sleeve lol that's why I was thinking of over the cuff gloves and/or the wind blocker hand guards since my Barkbuster JETs dont help at all for blocking the weather 

Out of interest, how cold was it yesterday in the interior and where you riding mostly on the street?

In town (415m) i would guess was about 8C, up where I was riding (460m) would have been just around 0. the puddles just barely had a skim of ice on them but it was snowing and my pegs/foot controls were icing up pretty bad. I only rode on the street just to get to/from the FSR roads which is under 10kms

7 hours ago, filterx said:

@CDNSXV, looks like you've gotten an early winter and looks like Montana etc got a lot as well.

I fear our riding season is over.  WE got a massive dump of wet snow and weather is just not warming up enough to really burn it off.  All that moisture will make the ground slippery as hell.  Basically unrideable.

16 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

I fear our riding season is over.  WE got a massive dump of wet snow and weather is just not warming up enough to really burn it off.  All that moisture will make the ground slippery as hell.  Basically unrideable.

Ya I was sort of giving you hard cus time there was a fair bit of snow in the Interior of BC as well. Its been an unusually wet summer/fall so far and I'm really hoping the BLOB of the west coast is going to keep it mild at the lower elevations.

If things don't change at your end and it stays mild on the coast and you want to ride, you know you're always welcome 🙂

Edited by filterx

The 100% brisker gloves work well down to say 40F, I typically don't ride on the few days it gets colder than that in my area 

On 9/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, CDNSXV said:

Oh heck.  Speak for yourself.  

We were out dirt biking at Whispering Pines last weekend (showed some cocky newbies some of the tougher stuff).  

We have 4 days planned out by Yaha-Tinda (Wildhorse) this weekend.

Granted, this weekend will likely be our last camping weekend but I don't expect it to be our last riding weekend.  Might need studs come November though.

I've still been commuting by motorcycle any day that there isn't snow on the roads on my route.  I use warm thinsulate lined motorcycle gloves that I picked up at the motorcycle show a couple of years ago.  They cost all of $30 and they're warmer than my Gerbing gloves (now that the heating coils in the Gerbings died).  I also run heated grips and elephant ears on the handle bars.  Just need to get some heated insoles for my boots. ?

It gets below 60F and I'll sit inside, having a bowl of ice cream...

55 minutes ago, Z1RK said:

Oh heck.  Speak for yourself.  

We were out dirt biking at Whispering Pines last weekend (showed some cocky newbies some of the tougher stuff).  

We have 4 days planned out by Yaha-Tinda (Wildhorse) this weekend.

Granted, this weekend will likely be our last camping weekend but I don't expect it to be our last riding weekend.  Might need studs come November though.

I've still been commuting by motorcycle any day that there isn't snow on the roads on my route.  I use warm thinsulate lined motorcycle gloves that I picked up at the motorcycle show a couple of years ago.  They cost all of $30 and they're warmer than my Gerbing gloves (now that the heating coils in the Gerbings died).  I also run heated grips and elephant ears on the handle bars.  Just need to get some heated insoles for my boots. ?

I've ridden Waiparous/Ghost a few times in the snow/ice.  Not my bag of tea really.  

All my street bikes are vintage bikes so I don't ride them in crap weather.   After 33 years on 2-wheels I can afford to be choosy about the weather I ride in.  ?

• Like 1