Crf250l across country

Hi all, just wanted to share that I just finished 30 days on the road across the US ( Boston to San Francisco). I mainly stayed on side roads, but did some side dirt trails and some super highway for about 6000 total miles. While a lot of people I met were shocked that I was doing it on a 250, the crf250l did not disappoint through cold rain in Montana and desert heat in Nevada. Awesome machine. IMG_1727.thumb.JPG.afd5ae69c8d89ca39b7e5f753a6f75a0.JPG

• Like 8

Hi all, just wanted to share that I just finished 30 days on the road across the US ( Boston to San Francisco). I mainly stayed on side roads, but did some side dirt trails and some super highway for about 6000 total miles. While a lot of people I met were shocked that I was doing it on a 250, the crf250l did not disappoint through cold rain in Montana and desert heat in Nevada. Awesome machine. IMG_1727.thumb.JPG.afd5ae69c8d89ca39b7e5f753a6f75a0.JPG

Awesome, great little bike

Fantastic, have you got a google maps route or something that shows where you were? Hope to visit the States next year and do a ride like that. Pete

Looks like the stock gas tank. Were there sections of the trip you needed to carry extra fuel? If so, how did you carry extra fuel?
Love the milk crate!

I had a 1 gallon plastic jerry can (Reda) in the milk crate, but never ended up needing it. The longest distance I ever went between fuel stations was about 90 miles (Bozeman to West Yellowstone down route 191). This was well within the stock gas tank’s capacity even when riding at 70mph where I was getting about 60mpg. Even on route 50 in Nevada (“world’s loneliest road”), the longest stretch is about 70 miles between fuel stations (Eureka to Austin). However, I just had to make sure to top off the tank whenever possible. I didn’t mind the fuel stops because I liked getting breaks from sitting. The fuel stops were also the best places to meet the most interesting people.

Regarding the milk crate, it was perfect for wet/messy stuff and for quick access items. A guy who had an Africa Twin asked about it and said “I like your solution, where did you get it?” because the rear luggage that he was considering cost $600. I got the crate at Home Depot for $8.
  • Like 1

Fantastic, have you got a google maps route or something that shows where you were? Hope to visit the States next year and do a ride like that. Pete

I’ll soon reply with a list of cities, but much of the route is hard to trace, especially in Pennsylvania where I just followed my gps down the craziest small side roads.

Awesome trip! Congrats! I’ve been getting mine ready for the MABDR in the spring.IMG_0816.thumb.JPG.f6bd993268122d912070fe97a676b6ed.JPG

Nice set up and luggage. The handlebar guards are worth their weight in gold and saved my bike multiple times. Good luck and have fun.

Good gravy..!! That’s quite a distance on an “L”...
What tires are you running..? And how did they hold up ?
  • Like 2