Help removing fork spring clip

I'm replacing my fork seals, and am stuck trying to get the spring out of the right fork.  (Technically you don't need to take the spring out to replace seals, but to measure the fluid level you are supposed to have the spring out.)  There is a step where you have to press down on the cap while removing a clip from a groove inside the fork tube:

image.png.b60eb3f15fb4110ade82be152c80dcce.png

I've messed with it for a couple hours, and can't seem to get that [expletive] clip out.  I can only push it down out of the groove, not up/out.  The ring beneath that clip doesn't move down very far, so it is hard to get anything under the bottom of the clip, to try and pry it up.  Pushing it down/out of the groove does little good, as it needs to come up/out. 

I've rigged up a bar clamp to hold down the fork cap for me, so I can use two hands on the clip, and still can't get it out.  I'm just trying with a small flat blade screwdriver.  I saw someone on YouTube do it, but I don't seem to have the right touch.  Has anyone ever done this?  Any tips?

Thanks,

Mark

I upgraded my spring and seals, I don't remember pushing down on anything to get that clip out. What I did is use needle nose pliers and a knife. The pliers on one end to stop it from spinning around and the knife on the other end, getting underneath the clip to remove it. Worked for me.

1 hour ago, str8motor250 said:

I upgraded my spring and seals, I don't remember pushing down on anything to get that clip out. What I did is use needle nose pliers and a knife. The pliers on one end to stop it from spinning around and the knife on the other end, getting underneath the clip to remove it. Worked for me.

Thank you str8motor250, appreciate the tips.  I will try this next time.  I ended up not taking out the spring, and just filling up the fork tube by measuring the fluid in mL as accurately as I could.

I had the same issue when I recently replaced my fork seals, and I got so frustrated trying to get the clip out by working on the ends of the cir clip. What I accidentally found is that if you press down on the clip directly opposite of where the opening is (just a little to the right of where [2] is pointing in the image above) the clip comes out instantly. What happens is when that portion of the clip goes down it compresses the arms of the clip making them smaller than the retaining ridge and allows it to be removed.

I got so frustrated with that clip and was similarly frustrated when I found the solution. I hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, gwool said:

I had the same issue when I recently replaced my fork seals, and I got so frustrated trying to get the clip out by working on the ends of the cir clip. What I accidentally found is that if you press down on the clip directly opposite of where the opening is (just a little to the right of where [2] is pointing in the image above) the clip comes out instantly. What happens is when that portion of the clip goes down it compresses the arms of the clip making them smaller than the retaining ridge and allows it to be removed.

I got so frustrated with that clip and was similarly frustrated when I found the solution. I hope this helps.

Hi gwool,

Thank you very much.  Were you holding down on the fork cap while doing this?  When pressing down on the clip at the opposite of the opening, do you press hard enough to move the clip down/out of the groove in that section where you are pressing?

2 minutes ago, mbeiley said:

Hi gwool,

Thank you very much.  Were you holding down on the fork cap while doing this?  When pressing down on the clip at the opposite of the opening, do you press hard enough to move the clip down/out of the groove in that section where you are pressing?

mbeiley, yes I was compressing the fork cap with one hand and using a small flat head screw driver in the other I just pressed down on that point opposite the opening enough to get it out of the groove and it just popped out of the fork. I didn't have to press the clip too hard for this to come out either. 

45 minutes ago, gwool said:

mbeiley, yes I was compressing the fork cap with one hand and using a small flat head screw driver in the other I just pressed down on that point opposite the opening enough to get it out of the groove and it just popped out of the fork. I didn't have to press the clip too hard for this to come out either. 

Okay, great, thanks for the tip.  I've already worked around it, but am looking forward to another chance at getting that clip out on my next fork seal replacement.

• Like 1

Sure thing! I'm looking forward to the next time I change the seals out as well so that I can remove the clip easier. ?

• Like 1