Black soot on tag

DRZ400SM with only 2000 miles, about 1200 miles with MRD jd jet and 3x3. I’ve been noticing that my tag is getting tarnished from exhaust soot even the signal light is turning black. I ran my finger just in the edge of the tail pipe and it’s 100% black. Is this a too rich condition or maybe burning oil? Is it anything to worry about? See pics 

396683A6-2E98-452C-834D-E1B814506E41.jpeg

865BB31F-0C21-4B93-A9B7-9BB978E856DC.jpeg

9847B7AB-2BF3-4EB1-BBFD-8DD128FDBBB8.jpeg

Couldn't see anything in the 1st 2pics, the blackness on your finger in the last photo looks OK to me, maybe a little rich. I'd pull the sparkplug out and see how that is doing, if that looks like it's burning rich, maybe a slightly smaller main jet would be in order

Gosh maybe it’s just me but I have a DRZ400SM, and even when it was running so rich it would stall, it did not produce a lot of soot *outside* the muffler on other pieces. I would definitely check the spark plug as mentioned above. Also check your oil level *correctly* to see if your burning any.

In reality if you want to get the most out of that bike you need to tune/jet it anyway. 

Of course the foolproof, scientific way to see what is happening is to go get your gases checked. 

1 hour ago, Wetfeet said:

Gosh maybe it’s just me but I have a DRZ400SM, and even when it was running so rich it would stall, it did not produce a lot of soot *outside* the muffler on other pieces. I would definitely check the spark plug as mentioned above. Also check your oil level *correctly* to see if your burning any.

In reality if you want to get the most out of that bike you need to tune/jet it anyway. 

Of course the foolproof, scientific way to see what is happening is to go get your gases checked. 

My late model fuel injected pickup truck leaves a hint of soot at the exhaust even with all the factory emissions and exhaust still in place.  There is going to be some soot.  The amount on his finger isn't enough to worry about.

• Like 1

I would be a whole lot more Concerned if it didn't show any.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, Wetfeet said:

Ya it's called Wash your is showing up in your oil.

Does the end of the muffler smell like fuel?Are you getting poor gas mileage?If not,those deposits are fine and expected.Try rubbing your finger in the end of the tailpipe on your car/truck.You'll get the same.

• Like 1