Knocking after installing a new head?

I Have a 2013 300xcw, just did a top end and also a rk tek head. Now on occasion if i am at idle and grab a handfull of throttle, i hear a single knock. Kinda like if you smacked the cylinder with a hammer.  What would cause that?

Edited by myjeepsucks

What octane fuel are you running?   What altitude are you at?  How is your bike jetted?  

I'd talk to Kelsey at RK Tek about it to determine the issue.  He cut the head so he should be able to tell you if it's an octane issue, altitude issue or jetting issue.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 2

The RK head is probably a higher compression head isn't it?

Everything else being the same, you're probably going to need to run a higher octane fuel than you can get at the pump. A race gas or a mix with pump gas to get the octane where you need it to prevent predetonation.

I think tht this single knock is not gas/compression related, I'd guess it comes from the power valve...

13 hours ago, Doc_d said:

What octane fuel are you running?   What altitude are you at?  How is your bike jetted?  

I'd talk to Kelsey at RK Tek about it to determine the issue.  He cut the head so he should be able to tell you if it's an octane issue, altitude issue or jetting issue.

Doc

Kelsey goes by @Hera on here...

• Like 1

Im running 93 octane and was riding at around 3000 feet or so.

The head i ordered was for 93 octane and 2000-4000' elevation.

Used the same base gasket as last time.

I will have to check on the jetting, 

9 minutes ago, myjeepsucks said:

main is a 165

Idle is a 35

Needle is a N2ZK 2nd clip from the bottom

While this "noise" is nothing to be concerned about.. you have WAY too lean on the jetting..  Go to a 170 main.. 40  pilot and N8Rg needle in the middle clip..

Your engine will run much stronger!! I run bigger jets than you at 9,000ft..

• Like 3