Why don’t dirt bike helmets use visors?

Yes I’m aware that there are dirt bike helmets with visors, mostly dual sport helmets, but why is it that the vast majority of dirt riders use helmet + goggles?   Seems like a visor would be easier to deal with and more versatile out on the trail or track?  Is it just convention to use goggles? 

Unlike a visor, goggles seal tightly on your face,

in many riding conditions dust / debris would otherwise get in your eyes with a visor.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 5

Also goggles are vented a visor is not, riding is a workout and when going slower or cold out goggles are less likely to fog, as well as the options of tear offs and roll offs. Also breathing hard is more difficult with a visor vs airflow over the top of the mouthpiece part of the helmet.

• Like 4

Just now, Drop-Bear said:

Goggles also stop sweat going in your eyes.

Hmmmm.   I always end up with sweat in my eyes while wearing goggles, but maybe it would be even worse with a visor.  Hadn’t thought of that. 

OTOH I when I wear safety glasses instead of goggles I rarely have sweat issues.  But then air is hitting my face the whole time, drying sweat out.  Visor would stop that.  

5 minutes ago, Micah D said:

Hmmmm.   I always end up with sweat in my eyes while wearing goggles, but maybe it would be even worse with a visor.  Hadn’t thought of that. 

OTOH I when I wear safety glasses instead of goggles I rarely have sweat issues.  But then air is hitting my face the whole time, drying sweat out.  Visor would stop that.  

Good goggles have sweat dispensing stuff over the foam. I can't remember what they call it.

When we stop, I always direct my breath downwards out the bottom of the helmet. Helps stop fogging somewhat.

I've had road bikes, so used road bike helmets. Never used a dual sport helmet off road tbh.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

I think you mean a face shield, not a visor. I wear goggles off road to enable more air flow, effectively making me cooler. On the street or ashplat track where speeds are high, I wear a full coverage with a latch down shield.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

20 minutes ago, William1 said:

I think you mean a face shield, not a visor. I wear goggles off road to enable more air flow, effectively making me cooler. On the street or ashplat track where speeds are high, I wear a full coverage with a latch down shield.

Edit: a visor could also mean the “bill” thing that juts out above the shield area, like the bill on a baseball cap.  So yes I think you’re right, shield is more accurate.  

Semantics?  Aren’t a visor and shield the same thing when it comes to a helmet?  Not busting balls, genuinely curious.  

Edited by Micah D

38 minutes ago, Micah D said:

Edit: a visor could also mean the “bill” thing that juts out above the shield area, like the bill on a baseball cap.  So yes I think you’re right, shield is more accurate.  

Semantics?  Aren’t a visor and shield the same thing when it comes to a helmet?  Not busting balls, genuinely curious.  

No, they aren’t the same thing.  A visor on a helmet is like the bill on a hat.  All dirt bike helmets come with a visor.  A shield is the clear or tinted plastic piece that covers the opening from the top of the helmet to the chin bar.  A shield will inhibit airflow to your face.  Also, when you start to really exercise, you will be breathing heavily through your mouth.  All that breath contains a lot of moisture which will quickly fog the shield.

• Like 3

A quick google says they are both visors. I usually call the duck bill a peak

Either way, a flip down visor would suck off road, too hot, too foggy, it would catch too much sh*t and would get scratched up too easily when you hit the ground.

I have done a few laps on the dirt with a roadbike wearing a road helmet (don't ask) and I think I did about 2 laps before I put the visor up and put up with a face full of dust and crap so I could see where I was going better.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

i use both mx-9 and some fly helmet i bought. the big difference I notice is breath-ability, dust, and just overall lightness. when it is cold, I like using my adv helmet as it keeps me a bit warmer. also they fog up like mad (adv helmet) when its somewhat cold vs the goggles. 

I like both I guess I just use them for different applications. mx9 is much better on the road as well 

• Like 1

Sheesh.  Anyone that has been riding motorcycles for more than a few minutes knows a face shield is a face shield and a visor is a visor.  When I rode street my Bell Stars had face shields.  My dirt bike helmets have always had visors.  Face shields on dirt bike helmets are hot in the summer and fog up in cooler weather.

And to those wearing safety glasses instead of goggles.  Wait until you get a branch to the face. 😉

• Like 5

Misunderstanding

Edited by Micah D
My own lack of humor

4 minutes ago, Micah D said:

Sheesh.  Anyone that's been on an internet forum for more than a few minutes knows that there's people who don't know everything you know, and that the best way to treat them is definitely to belittle them in an attempt to make yourself look like the big brain on campus.  Right?  

Apparently you missed the sarcasm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BOAB said:

Apparently you missed the sarcasm.

Damn it!  Well, I still blame you for not using the sarcasm font.   Wait, I think I just forgot to use it too.  Why doesn't that exist yet?

3 minutes ago, Micah D said:

Damn it!  Well, I still blame you for not using the sarcasm font.   Wait, I think I just forgot to use it too.  Why doesn't that exist yet?

I'm too lazy to do <s> </s>

52 minutes ago, BOAB said:

Anyone that has been riding motorcycles for more than a few minutes knows a face shield is a face shield and a visor is a visor.

I didn't initially notice the wording but my native language is french

and as visor translates to visière it sounded right as that's a face shied.

That said I bought an adventure style MX helmet with face shield for snowmobiling thinking it would be warmer (no air gaps like googles)

but for slow 'enduro' style sledding thru the woods it's simply miserable, fogs up and more lens distortions when not looking straight ahead.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1