Jump to content

Recommendations for first bike

Recommended Posts

Hello i am new to the forums. I currently have a raptor700  but i would like to get a dirt bike in the near future. I have never owned  a dirt bike and have only  been riding  atvs this past year. I have rode my buddys crf450  up and down the street and feel it is way too much bike for me to learn on. I still not sure if a 250 would still be to much for me .  My buddy suggested  maybe getting  a ttr 125.  I am about 250 lb and 5'11". i mainly only ride  trails. I want something that will let me get comfortable on a bike out on the trails.  I am thinking  maybe a crf150r  or maybe a ttr230 mighty  be a better choice  for my skill and size. 

Edited by Meat Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For never riding a dirt bike I tend to agree with your buddy. The 230 would work to get you to learn the fundamentals, but with your weight you might be better off with like a WR250F or CRF250x, these are detuned trail bikes. Not as twitchy as the motocross versions. Stay away from the 450's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, morphrider said:

For never riding a dirt bike I tend to agree with your buddy. The 230 would work to get you to learn the fundamentals, but with your weight you might be better off with like a WR250F or CRF250x, these are detuned trail bikes. Not as twitchy as the motocross versions. Stay away from the 450's.

Yea, i definitely  not getting a 450. I dont mind learning on an under powered bike. When i want to go fast i can jump on the raptor. 

Just now, Meat Man said:

Yea, i definitely  not getting a 450. I dont mind learning on an under powered bike. When i want to go fast i can jump on the raptor. I really just want to build up that muscle  memory.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find yourself a nice XR250. Will be great for learning without being overwhelmed. Easy to maintain, and when you're ready for a new bike, you can probably sell it for near what you bought it for.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a more timid, slow learner type then something like a TTR230 or CRF230 would be a good choice.  They can be picked up used fairly cheaply, ridden for a year and sold for what you paid for them pretty much.  They are easy to ride, low maintenance and bulletproof.   They have a smaller frame making it easier to flat foot them which inspires confidence in new riders.  

If you are more aggressive and think you'd be bored on a 230 too quickly, then something like a Yamaha WR250F would be a good choice.  They are pretty corked up and mild from the factory (27ish HP if I remember correctly), but they are a full size bike with much better suspension, brakes, etc than the air cooled 230 trail bikes.

Considering you've ridden a 450 dirt bike and didn't kill yourself, I'm thinking you might be better off on something like the WR250F.  But if you opt for the 230, as long as you buy a good clean one at a good price, you can sell it whenever you want and probably not lose any money on it.  So it's very low risk going that way if you aren't sure.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rode his 450  and i just didnt like how twitchy  it is. I first rode it at the dunes  and it was hard for me to go slow and i whiskey  throttled a bump or two. I just put it off as it just harder to ride in the sand. Then i rode it again  on a service road near the trails  we go ride at and i was doing ok but one of the times i went to take off i guess i gave it a tiny bit to much gas and it made me jerk back, which made me give it even more gas and then i did my first wheelie on a motorcycle ever. After that i  told my self i need a fairly small bike so i can practice  to the point where i dont  have to think about what to do anymore.   I have never ridden  a motorcycle  b4 but i have driven stick shift cars for 20 years.  I have a real good under standing  of how to ride, i just need my body to learn. He suggested the ttr125 b.c my yard is biggest  enough  where i could practice  at home with it but its not big enough  where i could ride a 250.  Also he said  it is a good bike to just put put around, kinda like a pit bike.  I dont care about going fast b.c my raptor  has to make about 60 hp and it is an absolute  beast of a quad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Full Steam Ahead said:

I think a 2 stroke would be a good first bike for you I would recommend a 125 or 250/300 depending on what kind of trails you ride

Cheers

I live in the pnw.  I got to Capitol forest  alot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your Raptor is stock it's only around 38-40. Add the Big 3 with good duals and intake will take you to 52, do more in the motor you get to 70. My wife's Raptor I did the Big 3, mine I went a bit more on to get that 70.

Regardless it is a different feel in hp when comparing the 2 wheels to 4. A lot of good suggestions on bikes in here. You will open up more trail riding availability and trails seem so much smoother on a bike. 

Edited by morphrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, morphrider said:

If your Raptor is stock it's only around 38-40. Add the Big 3 with good duals and intake will take you to 52, do more in the motor you get to 70. My wife's Raptor I did the Big 3, mine I went a bit more on to get that 70.

Regardless it is a different feel in hp when comparing the 2 wheels to 4. A lot of good suggestions on bikes in here. You will open up more trail riding availability and trails seem so much smoother on a bike. 

My raptor  is a 2019 with  fci intake, monster exhaust, power commer, bored out tb and hotcams 3.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 2:26 AM, Meat Man said:

Hello i am new to the forums. I currently have a raptor700  but i would like to get a dirt bike in the near future. I have never owned  a dirt bike and have only  been riding  atvs this past year. I have rode my buddys crf450  up and down the street and feel it is way too much bike for me to learn on. I still not sure if a 250 would still be to much for me .  My buddy suggested  maybe getting  a ttr 125.  I am about 250 lb and 5'11". i mainly only ride  trails. I want something that will let me get comfortable on a bike out on the trails.  I am thinking  maybe a crf150r  or maybe a ttr230 mighty  be a better choice  for my skill and size. 

I would say it all depends on how much you want to spend and where your going to ride mate - check this out it may help 

https://mymxgear.com/what-mx-bike-every-bike-is-diffrent/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 9:26 PM, Meat Man said:

Hello i am new to the forums. I currently have a raptor700  but i would like to get a dirt bike in the near future. I have never owned  a dirt bike and have only  been riding  atvs this past year. I have rode my buddys crf450  up and down the street and feel it is way too much bike for me to learn on. I still not sure if a 250 would still be to much for me .  My buddy suggested  maybe getting  a ttr 125.  I am about 250 lb and 5'11". i mainly only ride  trails. I want something that will let me get comfortable on a bike out on the trails.  I am thinking  maybe a crf150r  or maybe a ttr230 mighty  be a better choice  for my skill and size. 

In my opinion I would get the new Honda CRF250F. It is essentially a replacement for the CRF230F. As you may or may not know, the CRF230F still uses a drum brake on the rear. In my experience the drum is kinda sucky. The new CRF250F has front and rear disk brakes - a huge upgrade in my book. It should have a little better suspension also. The best part is that it has a true 250cc air cooled engine versus the smaller 223cc air cooled engine that's in the 230F.

The TTR125 will definitely be way to small of a bike for you. I am 5'11" 150lbs and my sister has a TTR125. I feel cramped on it so I think you would as well. 

The TTR230 is a great bike - I owned one and loved it. It was a great bike to learn on. However, I think that Honda has hit a home run with the new CRF250F. With front and rear disk brakes and a true 250cc motor, it leaves Yamaha with some catching up to do with the TTR230 which also has a 223cc engine just like the CRF230F. It will be well suited for your size and skill level. It's not going to have too much power for you as a beginner. Just my opinion but I would without a doubt go for the new CRF250F.

Hope this helps you in making a decision and welcome to the forums!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...