Stage 2 hotcams

So I have looked through previous posts regarding this but still am somewhat unconvinced. I have about 15K miles on my 08 S model now that I use offroad and on with SM wheels for touring. My exhaust valve check was out of spec so have a shim kit en route and will also do intake valves with a mcct from tt but am considering also doing stage 2 cams as well since I will be doing that much disassembly. I have MRD exhaust and have a cvk40 carb I will be installing once I order proper jets and see what needle it has, other projects have taken precedence since the drz has been my daily rider until the valve check took it out of commission. So my question is, is it worth it to do cams now or wait and maybe do them next valve check? How much will be gained with stock jetted carb vs cvk40? Should I just pull the trigger and do it? I use it as a daily commuter, fire roads and since my sporty has been down light long distance tourer.

I did the CVK40 first, rode a bit and then did "E" cams (very close to Stg. 2's) and in my mind its a great combo that compliment each other.

The mid range is very fat/wide, she likes to rev a bit more but its will never be a top end bike, its all about the mid-range with this combo.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MyKLX400 said:

I did the CVK40 first, rode a bit and then did "E" cams (very close to Stg. 2's) and in my mind its a great combo that compliment each other.

It would have more low end and midrange with the Stage II intake cam.

Probably more at the top too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Oh don't get me wrong, there was a noticeable bump down low and up top, but the mid range is where I notice it the most.

What I was trying to articulate is that these bikes are not a high reving/top end bikes, they are really meant and designed for low and midrange riding. I can rev the shit out of the bike in sumo mode but there really is no point to rev over 8500/9000 with this set up.

Offroad in dirt mode hill climbs are now a bit tricky for me (still a bit of a noob offroad) as there is more power and I tend to spin easier/more than I am used to.

• Like 1

Oh don't get me wrong, there was a noticeable bump down low and up top, but the mid range is where I notice it the most.

What I was trying to articulate is that these bikes are not a high reving/top end bikes, they are really meant and designed for low and midrange riding. I can rev the shit out of the bike in sumo mode but there really is no point to rev over 8500/9000 with this set up.

Offroad in dirt mode hill climbs are now a bit tricky for me (still a bit of a noob offroad) as there is more power and I tend to spin easier/more than I am used to.

You have to remember that the current stage 2 hotcams used to be marketed as their low to mid set. If you want it to scream you need some Web 540/539 camshafts. The engine will howl if you give it enough to eat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beta300recat said:

Are you saying it's worth doing even just intake cam without doing the exhaust as well if I don't want to spend the money for both right now?

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

You have to remember that the current stage 2 hotcams used to be marketed as their low to mid set. If you want it to scream you need some Web 540/539 camshafts. The engine will howl if you give it enough to eat.

................or the Megacycle 327-9 and 327-4. Very similar to my HC2003-IN and E exhaust. Megacycle lets you keep the decomp if you wish.

https://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog.pdf

Page 51

47 minutes ago, Scottg07 said:

Are you saying it's worth doing even just intake cam without doing the exhaust as well if I don't want to spend the money for both right now?

Yes.

And if I was choosing between the E intake or the Hotcam intake, I'd go with the Hotcam. To paraphrase; I'd take the Hotcam over the Suzuki 'A' intake.

• Like 2

I also run a full MRD Shorty, Definitely want a JD jacket if you’re going to change exhaust filter cams anything if you hot cam it then you’ll have to adjust the JD jacket again but not Kansas totally worth it with a quick quick shot two is the ideal way to go to Creekside three and less you race it’s not overkil definitely want a JD jacket if you’re going to change exhaust  cams anything if you hot cam it then you’ll have to adjust the JD kit again but totally worth it  and it’s reliable with a quick quick shot by boyesen to was the ideal way to go to Creekside three and  can’t can’t encounter pretty sure I could smoke that new CRF 450 L that just came out  Stage two hot cans is like turning it into a 450 basically it’s a smarter power again choice then a bore kit I’ve worked with many motorcycles mechanic wise shop Wise and poor kids are really temperamental we’re hot cams are very simple very powerful and you can even upgrade your Excelerator pump take a quick shot to Quickshot three where are you get even more fuel deliveryStage two hot cans is like turning it into a 450 basically it’s a smarter power again choice then a bore kit I’ve worked with many motorcycles mechanic wise shop Wise and poor kids are really temperamental we’re hot cams are very simple very powerful and you can even upgrade your Excelerator pump take a quick shot to Quickshot three where are you get even more fuel delivery

1 minute ago, Glamissince4 said:

Stage two hot cans is like turning it into a 450 basically it’s a smarter power again choice then a bore kit I’ve worked with many motorcycles mechanic wise shop Wise and poor kids are really temperamental we’re hot cams are very simple very powerful and you can even upgrade your Excelerator pump take a quick shot to Quickshot three where are you get even more fuel deliveryStage two hot cans is like turning it into a 450 basically it’s a smarter power again choice then a bore kit I’ve worked with many motorcycles mechanic wise shop Wise and poor kids are really temperamental we’re hot cams are very simple very powerful and you can even upgrade your Excelerator pump take a quick shot to Quickshot three where are you get even more fuel delivery

Oh and you definitely need to do intake and exhaust side cans don’t do just one sideOh and you definitely need to do intake and exhaust side cans don’t do just one side

Edited by Glamissince4
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Glamissince4 said:

I also run a full MRD Shorty, Definitely want a JD jacket if you’re going to change exhaust filter cams anything if you hot cam it then you’ll have to adjust the JD jacket again but not Kansas totally worth it with a quick quick shot two is the ideal way to go to Creekside three and less you race it’s not overkil definitely want a JD jacket if you’re going to change exhaust  cams anything if you hot cam it then you’ll have to adjust the JD kit again but totally worth it  and it’s reliable with a quick quick shot by boyesen to was the ideal way to go to Creekside three and  can’t can’t encounter pretty sure I could smoke that new CRF 450 L that just came out  Stage two hot cans is like turning it into a 450 basically it’s a smarter power again choice then a bore kit I’ve worked with many motorcycles mechanic wise shop Wise and poor kids are really temperamental we’re hot cams are very simple very powerful and you can even upgrade your Excelerator pump take a quick shot to Quickshot three where are you get even more fuel deliveryStage two hot cans is like turning it into a 450 basically it’s a smarter power again choice then a bore kit I’ve worked with many motorcycles mechanic wise shop Wise and poor kids are really temperamental we’re hot cams are very simple very powerful and you can even upgrade your Excelerator pump take a quick shot to Quickshot three where are you get even more fuel delivery

Oh and you definitely need to do intake and exhaust side cans don’t do just one sideOh and you definitely need to do intake and exhaust side cans don’t do just one side

Please learn to spell and use punctuation before you post on hear again, because your not making any sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Still confused by that guy's post ^^^ but I am in the process of installing stage 2 hotcams on my DRZ. I am running a FCR41 and 440 big bore with a MRD Z-Pro Exhaust. Found a set of used Hotcams last week and they should be delivered later today. I will also be installing a new cam chain at the same time. I have 12K miles on the bike.

I will keep you updated for the results in any power gains. I should have it all installed by this weekend since I forgot to order a couple gaskets and shim kit needed for the swap.

• Like 2

434, oshc 2003 in and ex, fcr39, e base gasket, fmf full exhaust has made my bike a lot of fun on twisty Santa Cruz and Monterey county backroads. The 1200 barely gets ridden now. Not a top end monster but my grins to miles without infraction ratio is the payoff.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Glamissince4 said:

Stage 2 strong reliable power way more reliable then a bore kit 

A big bore will be just as reliable if you are not using crap parts. Stick to name brand.. either Cylinder Works or Athena. I'd pick Athena the next time around as the CW kit uses a Vertex piston with stubborn KTM style clips. I hope to never go through that headache again.

• Like 1