Dual Sport Tyre advice

My Brigestone OEM Gritty ED04 rear tyre on my 400E is due to be replaced in a month or two and I have to say that they have not been too bad in terms of true dual sport capabilities although some of the reviews that I have read have not agreed. 

I generally ride 50/50 of sealed road, dirt / gravel / sand and some single trail.

The consensus on Thumper Talk and youtube seems to be a D606 rear and Pirelli MT21 front. Is this still the way to go or has there been some advances in tyre technology in recent years.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

I recently put my 1st 606 on the rear of my E after running 2 Kenda Trackmasters previously, the 606 is OK, but the Trackmasters out performed it off-road big time, they wear quickly on pavement though. My choice up front is a Pirelli MT16, have tried quite a few others and this tire is excellent on and off road... good luck!

• Like 1

TR-8 front

kenda 270 back

Until the reviews are out on the tusk duel sport tires. 606 wear too fast. The kenda front is a little soft on the sides and scares a few people until they get used to them, so I don't recommend them. Shinko 244 are a close second

• Like 2

02' 400E, 80 dirt 20 pavement. I was running the Pirelli MT16 front and back, great tires. Really hooked up in the rock, dirt and logs we have here in the northwest, dry and wet, single track and forest road. I'd have to look but I think I was at about 3'000km before switching out the rear for a 606. Good tire but not as good at the MT16 for sure. AND I'll never buy another one because it would be impossible to spoon it on in the bush, way to stiff. I've had a Trackmaster on the front, another good front tire. Another really good rear tire for my area is the Motoz Mountain Hybrid, got good KM out of that tire as well. I've run a set of 244s for a trip I did with a lot of pavement and certainly didn't like them much in the dirt, I've heard the 270 would be better possibly. 

• Like 1

TR-8 front
kenda 270 back
Until the reviews are out on the tusk duel sport tires. 606 wear too fast. The kenda front is a little soft on the sides and scares a few people until they get used to them, so I don't recommend them. Shinko 244 are a close second
Exactly what I use on my DR650. Though I'm going to try a scorpion rally next on the front. 270 is great on the rear, good traction and long lasting. Got a 244 on now but it's lasting only about half of what a 270 does.

...and what is your favorite flavor of ice cream?? ha ha.  You will get as many opinions on this as you will on "what oil is best to use". 

I do run the D606/MT21 combo and am very happy with it.  This combo seems to have good traction in gravel/mud/sand, sticks to the pavement in the tight turns, and has a pretty good life.  I ride aggressive off road trails with these, on rides with about a 70-30 ratio of tough trail to pavement connectors.  For my highway and street use I have a second set of wheels complete, and ride other rubber that would not do well off road.

• Like 1

I havent tried the one you mention, im using motoz mountain hybrid and im happy with them. Before i had the motoz tractionator ht and were good too.

• Like 1