Youth gear - hip protection

Question for those of you with kiddos and how you protect their back sides. 

So we set out early Sunday morning to our spot.  Fresh trails ahead as the sun was coming up - even light rain which was quite nice.  My son wanted to lead so we set out to our slow/fast/winding tight trail but full of rock.  I let him get a bit ahead of me and lose site as he goes around a corner.  I arrive to see my little dude laying down, bike high sided on a boulder and he's holding his hip.  BIG ole scratch and big bump.  Check him out and all is well but he's ready to go home.  Dang it.  But yep let's go.  Get home and his limping a bit but nothing broken.  But it's a big bruise this morning.  

He's protected from head to toe and wears cheapo Answer pants with zero hip protection.  Any recommendations on hip protectors for youth?  My cheap fly racing pants have small inserts for my hips but doubt they'd protect me much. 

Thanks in advance.

I say - don't worry about it. Any hip/waist pad you add won't be comfortable or would be too small to give any protection. 

Realistically you can only do so much. Kids riding will fall and will get hurt. Teach them to overcome the discomfort and keep riding. 

I have two boys, 7 & 9, and when they started riding 4-5 years they tried pulling this crap. Within a ride or two there after, they learned that if they want to ride, good and bad things happen and they have to push on. 

I now have no problem running with them all day, which includes all the bumps, bruises and cuts along the way. 

Your son may not be up for it yet, or you took him on a trail that he shouldn't have been on. 

• Like 2

Roller hockey pants? :excuseme:

I wear hockey referee shorts racing sno-x.  Not gonna stop a track/ski from doing some damage if I take a direct hit, but it's a lot less painful the next day or three if I do end up taking a tumble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutdoorRob said:

I say - don't worry about it. Any hip/waist pad you add won't be comfortable or would be too small to give any protection. 

Realistically you can only do so much. Kids riding will fall and will get hurt. Teach them to overcome the discomfort and keep riding. 

I have two boys, 7 & 9, and when they started riding 4-5 years they tried pulling this crap. Within a ride or two there after, they learned that if they want to ride, good and bad things happen and they have to push on. 

I now have no problem running with them all day, which includes all the bumps, bruises and cuts along the way. 

Your son may not be up for it yet, or you took him on a trail that he shouldn't have been on. 

Excellent feedback. And we had long talk on the way home about heading home earlier than planned. He gets it. He had a bit too much throttle in a corner he’s been around quite a few times. We ride in rock territory so this is a lesson for him on control. 

1 hour ago, SnowMule said:

Roller hockey pants? :excuseme:

I wear hockey referee shorts racing sno-x.  Not gonna stop a track/ski from doing some damage if I take a direct hit, but it's a lot less painful the next day or three if I do end up taking a tumble.

Ha! Yep looked at something similar on Amazon.

Thanks guys