XR600R New (to me) '95 XR600R issues

Hy guys

I am new to the forum and XR600R as well. A friend of mine give me his 1995 XR600R after I promise him I will take care of her.

Short tale he came from a ride and park the bike in his garage with gas in it and valve open, eleven years after I pick her up and bring her home.

What I found was a clogged fuel cock, a messy carburator, and a self destructive air filter. After a deep cleanin process valve adjust (0.003" intake and 0.004" exhaust) I clean and re assemble the carburator using the original parts plus a new air filter.

The bike came up to life but there is always a but, first test ride (non air filter installed) she rides pretty well but after I put the new air filter (an after market one ) and perform some carb adjusments (she was running too rich, black smoke from the exhaust) the bike stall or fail at the begining (I can not call cold because here in Venezuela we have almost 90 degrees all year around) but after the engine get hot she rides strong (my test are on hillys paved road heavy on the throtle).

Another thing I notice is a tick tick noise around the exhaust in the head chamber

Any input will be highly appreciate

Roberto

1.jpg

carb .jpg

carb 2.jpg

carb 1.jpg

Try an OEM filter first and see if you still have problems. The ticking noise could be from out of adjustment tappet, could also be cam chain needs to be adjusted. Btw, I thought that the intake wanted 0.010" and 0.012" for the exhaust side tappets.

Edited by cfaber

If the bike doesn't like running till it's warm, that's usually a fuel issue. And since you said you are getting black smoke cold and at idle it is running way too rich. I'd look at your pilot mixture screw (the one in your second pic just outside the float bowl) as it is what controls the mixture at idle-1/8 or 1/4 throttle. I forget which way you need to turn it to lean it out, but I'd start there first. Hope you get her running, she looks like a clean bike!

90° ambient is nothing. And definitely not warmed up on a bike that hits 300°. A cold start in 126° Phoenix day in august is still a cold start.

And IN is .004" and exhaust is .005"...almost there. .004 is tight for the ex.

Fuel screw is in lean/ out rich. In all the way you need a smaller pilot. Out all the way you need a bigger pilot.

How old are your valve seals? That's a Smokey start but go away once warm culprit.

I have the exact same bike. I'm currently taking it apart for a loose timing chain issue. I can hear the chain clanking around in there and it's been getting slowly worse. I'm also getting a slight random misfire at idle and a click from the top end of the engine. I think it's the decompressor activating because of the loose chain. I'm not sure until I get the engine taken apart. When I do, I can try and help you with this issue if you have the same problem. When I get home I can also tell you my jetting. I have it written down somewhere. It's a 68 pilot, but I can't remember the main jet size. I have xrs only header and muffler, uni air filter, and the snorkel removed. About 1000 feet elevation and 80- 90 degrees outside usually.

I guess I found the culprit, float valve set is getting stuck.

I went out to test ride after valve adjustment (.004 & .005) and the bike dies on me, I pull over to restarted and gas was dripping from the bowl overflow hose, I tapped a little to see if valve did the job (worked before, but no this time) and the end I had to pull the bike back home.

Let see what I found and back with an update

Again

Fuel cock On and gas drip and bike dies and do not start.

I already disassembly check and clean the carb few times now and it is happening randomly, some times she runs nice not gas from the overflow hose, some times all the way around.

Somebody has any clue or suggestion

Thanks

Where are you getting the fuel drip from? Right now I would suspect a faulty needle and seat still. When you cleaned it, did you make sure the spring loaded pin on the top of the needle moved freely? And did you make sure there was no ridge on the bottom of the needle where it seals against the seat? That needs to be nice and smooth. Finally, double check your float level setting. If that tab is bent out of adjustment, then it might not push the needle all the way into the seat. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jamison Richey said:

Where are you getting the fuel drip from? Right now I would suspect a faulty needle and seat still. 

I agree with you about the float needle, carb gonna be out in no time and work on the float needle and seat 

About the float height is 14.5 mm as I found on the web, any iformation regarding of this measure or how to set it will help too.

Back to you guys after I do my homework

Update

I disassembled the carb again 😡 and a little piece of plastic or hardened rubber comes out of the float needle hole, I thoght that explain why ramdonly the problem appears, I then clean and polish the float needle and seat (there is a way to take out the brass piece where the needle seats, for inspection and cleaning?).

Job done carb back to bike and started at first kick, good iddle and revs up quick without hesitation, I left the gas cock in on position just to be sure (about 45 minutes) while I clean the workshop, in the meantime I sterted the bike about four times and every single time she came alive fast and steady.

This morning the test ride, two kicks and she is running some warmin up and go for a ride 300 meters later she dies on me pouring gas from the overflow tube.

I will take the carb out and verify is there is no more strange particle around but honestly I am going crazy

Float needle.jpg

Yes I do have a fuel in line filter and about the needle yes it is a little battered to say at least but it works prety well when I do the blowing test with the carb out, I will try to follow your suggestion and find a new one.

I feel I almost at the point she will be ready to brap around with confidence.

Thanks

Yeah just order a full rebuild kit for the carb and replace everything.

Thanks cfaber, as you see I am not in the states and getting goods from abroad  although is not impossible is not easy or cheap in any maner that is why I am trying all I have in my hands before buy new stuff, can you suggest any good vendor I can get it from without gessing the quality of the products?

16 minutes ago, cfaber said:

Try CMSNL?

I wish I could hahaha, CMSNL is an excelent resource of information I used a lot their exploid views and part number information, but sadly they are in Europe and brings  goods from there it is much more complicated, that is I was asking for a USA vendor something like Revzilla or Bandit perhaps.

Edited by Roberto Alvarado