On New Brand, Buy Direct or From a Dealer

Dealer or Direct  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you could save $1000 to $1500 would you prefer to buy directly from the OEM/distributor or still buy from a local dealer at a higher price?

• Dealer
    • Direct

If I can build a new brand, would you prefer to buy directly from me or buy from a local dealer. If I sell directly to the customer I will be possibly be able to save you $1000 to $1500 on the bikes and at least 40% on the parts. That's the upside. The downside is you want have a local dealer to provide local assistance with a problem. I can ship parts to you by priority mail anywhere in the US in three days and I will have on line ordering like I did when selling Sherco. I can also build the bike with the items you want on it too if you want us to do the work. 

Let me know what you think. And don't forget to vote Piney Woods before you tell me what you think!  ??

Dealers suck so I'll buy from you if you don't mind, you seem to be an OK guy. 🤣

• Haha 1

It depends. I like supporting my local dealer. They need to make a profit to stay open. So I buy stuff that they have in stock rather than going to an online shop like RockymountainATV or Revzilla. But it depends on the quality of the local dealer.

The Honda dealer closest to my house had zero parts in stock. Everything had to be ordered and would show up in 3 days. This included parts that are shared by zillions of Honda models, such as clutch perch or sidestand bolt. There was no point in going to that shop.

But my local KTM dealer had a front fender for my 11 year old KTM in stock, and had all the special bolts and spacers on hand.

So I am happy to support the local KTM dealer and will never again step foot inside that Honda dealer.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BOAB said:

Dealers suck so I'll buy from you if you don't mind, you seem to be an OK guy. 🤣

I am an ok guy! ???

• Haha 1

I voted direct but might reevaluate if i had a great local dealer. MIGHT... I did my own recall work recently. It was easier than hauling back and forth while waiting a week. 

I like supporting local dealers but I prefer direct. I don't like dealer prep fees and other nonsense. Plus, it's like Christmas receiving your new bike all crated up!

• Like 3

A majority of riders are not mechanics by a long shot. They are not going to be happy campers if they have to put the bike together, strip/break bolts, fail to put oil in. The Chinese business model already is trying this and having only partial success. A lot of the pit bikes they sell people hate because PDI was done so poorly. Warranty service is terrible as well.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

If I had a good local dealer, I would support them.  The good KTM dealer, who stocks everything is almost 2 hours away.  I try to support him when I can.

The local dealer, which is owned by a big name car dealer in the area, doesn't stock much of anything.  I needed a clutch lever for my sons KX 100, it took a week for them to remember to order it, then another week to get it.  Two weeks for a lever is proof they don't want my parts business.

I agree with seer, if you put quality dealers out there, I'd be fine paying the little extra for local support, I believe a local economy is important.  With that said, I am comfortable with a wrench, and do my own work. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, C2.0 said:

If people were to buy direct how would warranty work be done? 

If it were just something that you can bolt on I'd just send you the part for free and you can install it. If it were something more complicated that a shop needed to do you could take it to a local KTM dealer. I'd send you the parts and you would pay the dealer and I would reimburse you for their labor. If it was a major repair like a broken gear I'd swap engines with you. 

Would that work? That's what I did with Sherco that I sold directly to customers where I did not have a dealer. I never had to swap an engine but we did have a bike that would not start and no one locally could repair it. I sent the customer an empty crate, he crated it back up, I had the bike picked up and we repaired it and shipped it back. Took about three weeks but it never gave him another problem. And I paid for it all. It didn't cost the customer one dime. I lost my ass on that bike. Sometimes that happens! ??

Edited by ClayStuckey
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, William1 said:

A majority of riders are not mechanics by a long shot. They are not going to be happy campers if they have to put the bike together, strip/break bolts, fail to put oil in. The Chinese business model already is trying this and having only partial success. A lot of the pit bikes they sell people hate because PDI was done so poorly. Warranty service is terrible as well.

My plan is to uncrate and assemble the bike here and pdi it here, re-crate fully assembled in another crate that we will build here, shrink wrap it and ship it directly to the customer. All he will have to do is to put fuel in it. I think if you will ask any of my prior Sherco customers (with one exception) you will find they were happy with my warranty service. I covered a LOT of stuff that Sherco would not. 

• Like 2

Selling as a knock down kit you may be able to get around the Calif BS for  Street legal plating.

Zable is now offering a 300cc engine you could offer bikes with the 300 and the 685.

• Haha 1

AS LONG AS parts availability and fulfillment is worked out online for rapid support ("I need it by race day"), and as long as you have technical support worked out in advance (I know where to download the service manual and technical bulletins), I would love to get rid of a dealer altogether.

The one challenge I'm running into with my current direct-purchase bike is no schematics, maintenance or tuning guides for suspension components or engine internals.  Make sure I know how to work on your bike, and make sure I can get ALL the stuff to work on it directly from you, and you'll have a happy customer.

Edited by dingerjunkie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dingerjunkie said:

AS LONG AS parts availability and fulfillment is worked out online for rapid support ("I need it by race day"), and as long as you have technical support worked out in advance (I know where to download the service manual and technical bulletins), I would love to get rid of a dealer altogether.

I fully understand the importance of parts supply. I don't think you can find anywhere on line where a customer complained about Sherco parts availability here in the US. We also had service manuals, owners manuals and parts manuals on my website. I didn't post tech bulletins but I made people aware of them on the Sherco forum. I had guys from all over the world emailing me and calling me about Shercos because we provided more Sherco info than any other distributor. And I also have no problem answering the phone after 8 am CST and before 8pm CST. And on Saturdays and Sundays. I like talking to motorcycle guys. I am burned out on talking to motorcycle dealers. I've been doing that for almost 40 years. 

In Colorado you would save enough on sales tax to pay a mechanic for assembly. Bought my new truck outta state and tax was 2.8% on 80% of the value vs ~10% of the sales price for buying in state. No clue how many other Home Rule states there are but CO consumes a lot of bikes.

• Like 1

Direct. Anyone buying a bespoke bike likely has the know-how to setup a bike - could likely do it better than a dealer. A really good online ordering process would be important along with strong customer service support.

I like dealers/local shops for their parts availability, not for their marked up new bikes they try to sweet talk you into.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RudeJeepin said:

Maybe you could have a few strategically placed distributors, that could help with parts/warranty work. Just spit balling.

I probably will wind up with a few really good dealers/distributors/service centers but this country is so damn big I'm not sure that would guarantee a service center would be within six hours of a customer.