Stic metering block

Derek Harris was kind enough to lend Kenpo1 and I (we're neighbors) one of these metering blocks to test out here in AZ. He has an 06 YZ250 that he just rebuilt and I have my 2017 300XC. I'm sure he'll have a thread with his thoughts once he gets his Lectron and Keihin sorted out. 

If you're not familiar with the STIC, AKA KP Racing metering block I suggest you read this thread:   https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1198293-kp-racing-metering-block-dyno-results/

That should bring you up to speed.

Now, I think the main purpose of having us test this was to see if the block could adjust for altitude similar to a Lectron or SmartCarb, which I think are the main competitors to the product. Derek is in Texas, not much altitude there but here in AZ we can ride around 1500ft one weekend and be up above 7k the next week. This thread will be ongoing as I take it through the rounds, plus I had a few PMs asking about it, wondering if it was snake oil or legit and I wanted to put something out there to add some legitimacy to Derek and Keiths claims about it (not that they really need any)but some just think it sounds too good to be true. I'm sort of a Lectron fanboy and the 38mm unit on my 17 with the 3-2M rod has been absolutely incredible. Great low/mid, amazing fuel mileage, and super smooth power. Just so we're clear I'm not testing it because I have complaints with the Lectron. I'm always interested in something "better" and after my initial impressions I'm going to do everything I can to make it work as good as the Lectron and buy it off Derek lol.

If you ride moto or fast desert stuff don't bother reading any further to see if it will work for you, just buy it. The power increase alone is just incredible. If you ride more technical stuff, single track, rocky gnarly stuff then you'll want to subscribe to this thread cause that's what I've been testing it on. A lot of the testing will be done on my local trails that I can ride to from my house that are on Strava so I can be as accurate as possible with times.

My stats:

31 yrs, 6'3", 210lbs

30A racer

2017 KTM300xc

Stock pipe all smashed up

RK Tek Head

38mm Keihin 38s off an RM250

Red JD needle from my 14 300

195 main

45 pilot

First impressions:

The bike has never ran so good. It pulled stronger everywhere and actually revved. Felt like a totally different bike. Sand washes are an absolute hoot. Just for reference, I've ridden 6 or 7 17 300s all with either Lectrons, RK heads, or modded heads and mine is stronger than them all, at least bottom to mid.

Strava times:

Trail 1: 12:20 best time: 12:34

Trail 2:  5:53  Best time: 5:49

Trail 3:  2:07  Best time  2:13

Trail 4:  4:43  Best time: 4:33

Trail 5:  2:08  Best time: 2:22

Trail 6:  10:13 Best time: 11:35

Trail 7:  3:56  Best time: 3:58

Trail 8:  5:09  Best time: 4:49

While not a compete list these are some of my favorite segments to use for testing and as you can see I beat 5 out of 8. The ones that I beat are generally faster and less technical, while the ones I did not have some slower, rockier sections where I made mistakes. The power comes on so fast that in places where the lectron lays down smooth power the Keihin wanted to break traction or throw me off. Stock gearing is completely inadequate with the STIC. One thing that amazed me right off the bat is now I can carry a gear higher pretty much everywhere. Usually I can stay in 3rd on the mid-speed single track and still be able to chug up hills without downshifting but will the the STIC I can easily do 4th. This explains how I'm faster in the less technical segments. However, the abruptness in the lower RPMs is a complete deal-breaker and just not fun for the technical rocky stuff. Carburation was pretty rich, definitely room for improvement.

Today I ended up going to the 2nd clip position on the needle and changing to the green spring from the red. The results were a much more crisp carb and much more manageable power in 1-3rd gears. I went back today to do a super rocky hill that pissed me off yesterday and the carb was much more Lectron-esque in its delivery, but not quite. I would have beat the time by more but the power got me again in the wash going over some boulders and ended up slower by about 20 seconds.

I have a 14 tooth sprocket coming tomorrow and after I test that Derek suggested that I go back to the red spring since it should broaden the power out enough to use that extra power and still be manageable. This is just from Monday, Wednesday and Today, I'll put more hours on it Saturday and Sunday.

Mileage:

I usually average 30+ mpg with the Lectron. I haven't checked today or yesterdays ride with the leaner needle but the first ride was 27 miles and I got just over 19 mpg. I'm sure that will increase with a leaner needle.

Other Mods: Thinking about ordering a G2 throttle cam if the power isn't to my liking but that should be a last resort.

20161212_145749.jpg

20161212_172205.jpg

• Like 12

Am I reading that right? You went from 30+ mpg with the Lectron to 19mpg with this device in the Keihin over the same terrain?

Yes but I did not have data for that exact set of trails on the first ride. I may have gotten 25mpg with the lectron, who knows. I just average 30mpg for most of my riding with my Lectron. This is going to be the biggest hurdle to clear.

• Like 1

Yes but I did not have data for that exact set of trails on the first ride. I may have gotten 25mpg with the lectron, who knows. I just average 30mpg for most of my riding with my Lectron. This is going to be the biggest hurdle to clear.

Yea, I saw the dramatic increase in the MJ circuit on Camp's post.

We are still rich in all jet settings, but for starters thats the point...

As soon as the jetting comes in where power will again improve... mileage comparisons will be good info.

Part of all the pwk mileage decreases from SC or lectron is the vent hoses. they leak more fuel than most would think...

Ive got lots of info on the website on my testing, I'm hoping 2snut can get a good evalution of his altitude findings so we can broaden the testing base.

• Like 3

A 195 would be about right. What's stock, 175 or 172?

Depends on the bike.

Yz's are something like a 178 (stock)

Rm's are something like a 168 (stock)

The needle tip diameter is a big player in the mainjet.

So whatever your standard jetting was, add the 4-5 sizes to the main.

Yz would be about a 190 (from 178)

The rm would be about a 180 (from 168)

Ect

Edited by KPRacing@SticSuperTorque
  • Like 1

Depends on the bike.

Yz's are something like a 178 (stock)

Rm's are something like a 168 (stock)

The needle tip diameter is a big player in the mainjet.

So whatever your standard jetting was, add the 4-5 sizes to the main.

Yz would be about a 190 (from 178)

The rm would be about a 180 (from 168)

Ect

YZ's are definitely 178 but I was asking about a 17 ktm, but since they came with a mikuni, I don't know how they compare.  

YZ's are definitely 178 but I was asking about a 17 ktm, but since they came with a mikuni, I don't know how they compare.

Oh gotcha.

Well if you get a suzuki keihin with the suzuki needle, you would add the 4-5 mainjet size to that.

If you get a yz carb, same thing.

Any 250 keihin is going to be pretty close from bike to bike.

The main is a minimal player in mileage for 2stnuts results. And he is running pump gas on a head with more cranking comp... he also uniquely has punishing riding conditions where in sections he has long extended Wide open throttle pulls at full song.

So we are starting conservative such that he doesnt blow up, and we have room to tune. His power reports sound very good already and as jetting tunes in more precisely it will continue to improve more. Luckily... this STIC seems very happy over a wide jetting range such that even jetted sub optimally its running well.

This is what most consumers really want... set it and forget it...

Edited by harrperf
  • Like 5