Sign in to follow this  

coolant in lower end of yz250?

Looking at a '99 yz250 and the owner says it has been getting coolant in the lower end.  Trying to figure this one out.  Only way for coolant to leak is bad headgasket or O rings, not sure what this year had.  How does it get in the lower end?  Into cylinder, through the transfer ports, but how to the lowr end?  Is there a seal somewhere that is out??

Bike shopping since my 04yz250 was stolen a couple of weeks ago

DSCN0609.JPG

Inner head o-ring or base gasket. 

Essentially same engine as your 04 that got ripped. 

1 minute ago, 2SYZDOC said:

Inner head o-ring or base gasket. 

Essentially same engine as your 04 that got ripped. 

That is what I am thinking.  Only way that the coolant can escape.  But how can it make its way to the lower end??  Maybe transmission?  He just said "lower end".  If he means crank case, sure, head o rings to fix it. (surface the head, have it cut too.  maybe surface the jug? or just eyeball with a straight edge?)

3 minutes ago, mrjata said:

That is what I am thinking.  Only way that the coolant can escape.  But how can it make its way to the lower end??  Maybe transmission?  He just said "lower end".  If he means crank case, sure, head o rings to fix it. (surface the head, have it cut too.  maybe surface the jug? or just eyeball with a straight edge?)

Right side gasket is the only way to leak into the transmission. Other than that, the weep hole between inner and outer seal on water pump impeller shaft has to be sealed for fluid to leak across air gap and 2 seals. 

3 minutes ago, 2SYZDOC said:

Right side gasket is the only way to leak into the transmission. Other than that, the weep hole between inner and outer seal on water pump impeller shaft has to be sealed for fluid to leak across air gap and 2 seals. 

Ahh, forgot about the water pump seals, Good call!