KTM 350 EXC-F Electric starter gave up. What happened?

I was out riding today, and I had experienced that my electric starter behaved strangely and didn’t fire immediately on every try. But suddenly it didn’t work at all. It didn’t even turn over or anything, it was just dead. 

So I’m also a noob and a below average mechanic, but I do my best and learn as much as possible all the time, but before I do any troubleshooting, what would you guys say is the most likely thing that has happened? 

Look for loose connections.  Especially the ground strap to the subframe.  If battery and ground connections seem perfect, follow them down to the starter.  

25 minutes ago, twp8357 said:

Look for loose connections.  Especially the ground strap to the subframe.  If battery and ground connections seem perfect, follow them down to the starter.  

Ok, will do that, but is it normal for connections to come loose like that? 

Yes     Welcome to KTM ownership.    Buy yourself a good sized bottle of Blue and a small bottle of red loctite.     Over on KTMTalk there is a 100 page write up of how to setup a specific KTM but it applies to almost all of them.

https://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?474303-INDEX-PAGE-for-Building-the-Perfect-quot-Wee-Beasty-quot-(2012-350-EXC-F-(-quot-E-Ticket-quot-))

Edited by twp8357
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, twp8357 said:

Yes     Welcome to KTM ownership.    Buy yourself a good sized bottle of Blue and a small bottle of red loctite.     Over on KTMTalk there is a 100 page write up of how to setup a specific KTM but it applies to almost all of them.

Alright, that’s useful info. Thanks a bunch!