Jump to content

BRC 500 in Honda chassis?

Recommended Posts

Been kicking around the idea of building my own cr500af using the conversionparts500.com kit for the 13-16 crf450r but after doing some research I came across BRC and their 500 kit for the ktm’s, I like the kit because of the modern design and electric start but still want to do a motor swap so basically will a ktm bottom end fit in a Honda frame with the correct modifications?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Truman Sparks said:

It would be cheaper to go with A Zable engine.

https://zabel-racing.de/

 

 

None of that is in English so I can’t read it lol, the reason I like BRC is because they are 1 province away from me and they build their motors will name brand parts when you buy it they give you a list of part numbers so you can replace things that get worn out over time (piston crank things like that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my mind set on the BRC I’m just curious if the ktm based motor will fit in the Honda, specifically the swing arm bolt and sprocket location

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zabel...lol. As if it is so easy to switch from left side drive to right side drive in a chassis meant fot the opposite. There is nothing cheap about the Zabel either, virtually unknown and good luck with carburetion, electronics, etc. The BRC/KTM will fit with careful planning, etc., but can also, quite easily be disaster. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, William1 said:

Anything will fit with a hacksaw and a welder.

I like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DEMI said:

Zabel...lol. As if it is so easy to switch from left side drive to right side drive in a chassis meant fot the opposite. There is nothing cheap about the Zabel either, virtually unknown and good luck with carburetion, electronics, etc. The BRC/KTM will fit with careful planning, etc., but can also, quite easily be disaster. 

I know I know I have to make a new Y piece and lower brackets and headstay mounts, what about bushings for the swing arm? conversionparts500.com uses cr125 bushings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With fitting the KX500 motor into the 2007 CRF450R chassis, I had to drill out the bushings and modify the spacer on the side opposite the drive sprocket.
With my Dad’s KX500 motor that he put into the 2012 KX250F frame, he had to drill out the bushings and put a few washers in to get the spacing just right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should first find out what diameter the swing arm bolt is on the KTM motor and on the CRF you are planning on using.

I do not know what it is on either bike.
If I had seen this earlier then I could have my buddy measure his, but he just put it back together.

It is probably listed online somewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Elias B Story said:

You should first find out what diameter the swing arm bolt is on the KTM motor and on the CRF you are planning on using.

I do not know what it is on either bike.
If I had seen this earlier then I could have my buddy measure his, but he just put it back together.

It is probably listed online somewhere

Thanks that’s really helpful, so basically it’s doable it will just take some creativity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The motor mounts are better with someone building them on a mill, but I did all of mine on this first build with a drill bit and a grinder.

I will use a mill next time... LOL...

The pipe is also a difficulty, but I think that pipe will transfer a lot better than the old KX500 pipe.
But the pipe will also need new mounts.
You will also have to redo the bottom radiator mounts, the coil mount, the air box, the gas tank (but I think you already mentioned that)
I would be leaving the fuel pump on there with the BRC500 and I would remap the 2019 GET ECU for the KTM300 to work with the BRC500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elias B Story said:

The motor mounts are better with someone building them on a mill, but I did all of mine on this first build with a drill bit and a grinder.

I will use a mill next time... LOL...

The pipe is also a difficulty, but I think that pipe will transfer a lot better than the old KX500 pipe.
But the pipe will also need new mounts.
You will also have to redo the bottom radiator mounts, the coil mount, the air box, the gas tank (but I think you already mentioned that)
I would be leaving the fuel pump on there with the BRC500 and I would remap the 2019 GET ECU for the KTM300 to work with the BRC500

conversionparts500.com has a kit for the CR500 motor to go into this frame, so all of the frame/airbox/gas tank/exhaust pieces come with it hopefully will be able to put in with little modification. The BRC 500 engine is only for 2011-16 250/300 so it will be carbuerated, thanks for the advice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



conversionparts500.com has a kit for the CR500 motor to go into this frame, so all of the frame/airbox/gas tank/exhaust pieces come with it hopefully will be able to put in with little modification. The BRC 500 engine is only for 2011-16 250/300 so it will be carbuerated, thanks for the advice 

That is the easy way.
Like I said though,
With GET ECU KTM300 FI box, a 2019 wire harness, the fuel pump off of the CRF, and GET ECU’s reed injector plate, it would be pretty easy to make it FI. But you would have to remap the ECU and if you do not have any experience with that then you are probably better off sticking with a carb until someone can email you the flash for it.

BRC is also working on an FI system for the BRC500 motor. So you could just wait for that to make it FI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...