250 2t mx for casual trails

Hey I'm brand new here. My boy is 10 and has a crf70. He's wanting to go riding trails and when he gets more confidence to the local mx track. I'm looking for a 2 stroke bike because that's what I used to ride and have literally no interest in a new 4t bike. Just love the simplicity of 2 strokes plus I'm on a tight budget as well. Thought about a 125 but finding good deals on some 250s. It's been 13-14 years since I've hopped on a dirt bike. Would a 250 with a 12-13oz fww and a throttle cam/tamer make it easy to cruise wide casual trails with my son? I'd like to hit the mx track with my brother too. Say I go with 125 would a fww and different power valve help it to cruise around the trails? I'm in central louisiana; small gradual hills, not rocky, and most of these trails are pretty smooth.

Thanks 

I forgot to add I'm 5'11" around 180-185lbs. Previous bikes were CR125s.. over a decade ago. Only 250s I've ridden were vintage mx bikes 70s-early 80s.

I have a 2003 CR250R so I have experienced the pros and cons of 250 2t's

Pros

-power to weight

-cheap/reliable

-great handling for the most part

-riedable on any terrain with minimal mods

cons

-Power can be tiring on rough trails

I would get the 250 and just ease into the transition

Thanks Lj, that's kinda what I was thinking. I believe I can adjust quickly to the power. Mainly worried if its "tame" enough for when I take a leisurely ride with my son on his 70. Then again he doesnt give that little bike any slack. I might have to keep up with him lol. Anyone with experience with a heavy fww and a cam throttle give review on taming the snappy hit?

My buddy bought a brand new yz250 in 2014 and all he does is putt around. He's only put hand guards on it. Just recently he gave it to his 15 year old son and bought a 19 yz250x and putts around on that now.

• Like 1

Can’t speak on throttle cam, but a FWW definitely helps tame a 2T for flowy woods riding.

I raced harescrambles on an 05 CR125 with a 7 oz FWW, FMF fatty pipe and shorty silencer. The FWW helped smooth out the power and the pipe/silencer combo redistributed some of that power across the rev range. It was nice up top but gave it a little more juice in the lower and mid range.

Other than that I had the forks and shock sprung for my weight and the bike was perfect for that application.

If I get the itch to ride mx, pop off the FWW and swap the pipe/silencer out for pro circuit pipe and long silencer — perfect for the track.

This works for what I ride, I don’t know what the trails are like where you are, and I probably wouldn’t run that setup on technical single track or really rocky stuff. Techy stuff is where purpose built woods bikes (xc/Xcw/Te/beta) really shine  My kind of riding is mostly faster woods loops so a toned down MX bike works fine.

Keep in mind this was on a 125 and I don’t have experience with that setup on a 250 2T but the same theory should apply.

Fww is pretty cheap. I was thinking of going with a 13oz. Looking at an 02 RM250. I think itll be good for what I'm wanting especially after hearing all of your input. Our trails aren't technical at all. Pretty wide and smooth. I'll rarely hit the mx track and when I do I wont be racing. Just making some fun laps with my brother. Figure the heavy fww will make it very manageable on the trails but still have plenty of power to run around the track. I'd like to get a Q series silencer or stock exhaust to keep noise down a little. Have a small trail behind the house I might putt around in the evening with my kids. Be nice to not be as obnoxiously loud for neighbors sake. Once again thanks for input.

Edited by Vanillag66
  • Like 1

It's totally doable. I came from a 125 4T to a 250 2T with a FWW and slow-turn throttle, I have no problem riding technical stuff. I happen to ride a WR250, mid 90s YZs were known to be good trail bikes so YMMV if you're looking at newer bikes. I weigh the same as you and am glad for the extra oomph the 250 has, for sure a 125 would be fun but I'm a lugger.

17 minutes ago, smirmeister said:

It's totally doable. I came from a 125 4T to a 250 2T with a FWW and slow-turn throttle, I have no problem riding technical stuff. I happen to ride a WR250, mid 90s YZs were known to be good trail bikes so YMMV if you're looking at newer bikes. I weigh the same as you and am glad for the extra oomph the 250 has, for sure a 125 would be fun but I'm a lugger.

The newest bike I've ever owned was a 89 lol. I don't mind older bikes. I'll keep the 90s YZs in mind while I'm looking. That was my plan kinda; anything mid 90s to mid 00s. 

The newest bike I've ever owned was a 89 lol. I don't mind older bikes. I'll keep the 90s YZs in mind while I'm looking. That was my plan kinda; anything mid 90s to mid 00s. 

I love my '95 but it was a huge cash drain and required some creative fixes, certain bits just aren't available. Unless you're specifically looking for a mid 90s model, an '02+ or at minimum '99+ YZ would be a great starting point, parts wise and for ease of modification.

Disclaimer: I'm biased towards Yamaha but purely in a practical point of view. I wouldn't hesitate to ride a zook... Or a KTM :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smirmeister said:

I love my '95 but it was a huge cash drain and required some creative fixes, certain bits just aren't available. Unless you're specifically looking for a mid 90s model, an '02+ or at minimum '99+ YZ would be a great starting point, parts wise and for ease of modification.

Disclaimer: I'm biased towards Yamaha but purely in a practical point of view. I wouldn't hesitate to ride a zook... Or a KTM :D

No not specifically wanting 90s. A newer YZ would be ideal if I could find 1 for a good price. I'm trying to stay around 1,500 honestly. I've seen several 125s for that. A few 250s but all around 03 and older. I've always been a honda fan but I've read nothing but good stuff about the YZs. I'm ready to be back on a offroad bike so whatever comes along in good shape at a cheap price I'll pick it up. Slowly convert it to be more woods friendly.

• Like 1

Really consider saving longer and paying more. Typically a $1500 older 2t isnt a great deal. Its cheaper to pay more upfront.

They putt around very well if jetted decent and the squish is ok. A gnarly pipe is at least as good as an upgrade as a FWW. Retarding the timing will hurt low end but usually decreases hit.

A well set up 125 does well too.  I prefer it over a 250 if its a sx or yz. Lighter ,easier on fuel,less vibes,  and so easy to kick over. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, seer said:

Really consider saving longer and paying more. Typically a $1500 older 2t isnt a great deal. Its cheaper to pay more upfront.

They putt around very well if jetted decent and the squish is ok. A gnarly pipe is at least as good as an upgrade as a FWW. Retarding the timing will hurt low end but usually decreases hit.

A well set up 125 does well too.  I prefer it over a 250 if its a sx or yz. Lighter ,easier on fuel,less vibes,  and so easy to kick over. 

Seer have you seen @GreenMT_Rider's thread on the YZ125X?

He has given it top accolades. 

5 minutes ago, BushPig said:

Seer have you seen @GreenMT_Rider's thread on the YZ125X?

He has given it top accolades. 

No i havent. My current 150xcw is still doing very well. If i make it to another yamaha test ride the 125x will be my first bike on the list though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seer said:

Yea I've been trying to decide 125 or 250. Once again I'm on a tight budget. I'd rather pick up a cheaper bike now than wait another year saving here and there for a newer nicer bike. Might ditch the 250 idea and pick up a 125. See far more for sale than 250s. 

Say I went 125 route; would a 7-9oz fww help lugging around at slow speeds through the woods? 

Edited by Vanillag66

30 minutes ago, Vanillag66 said:

Say I went 125 route; would a 7-9oz fww help lugging around at slow speeds through the woods? 

The low end is already soft. The extra weight just makes it worse.  

The secret to riding them slow is avoiding WOT. I hear reducing carb size to 36mm helps alot. 

I guess my best bet is just ride it. Address any issues I find along the way to match how I wanna ride. Buy some handguards immediately.. figure the rest out as I go. 

• Like 3

You may want to consider a Yamaha yz 250x. I believe they are set up as a gncc/hare scrambles style racer which is in between mx and singletrack/extreme enduro. European flavors are xc for KTM and tx for husky. I’ve seen lots of comments about how readily these bikes switch between riding types with only a few clicks of suspension tuning. The engines and transmission might not quite be mx track ready but if you’re not racing, who really cares?

The downside is the Yamaha might be hard to find used. Xc and tx not so hard.

Whatever you get, if you’re following a kid you’ll want a fan just in case, but you’ll probably be ok on a two stroke.