Freshening up the engine, have a few questions

TL;DR, doing a big bore kit, what cams are popular choices and are new valves/valve springs needed?

Been a while since I've been active on here but I'm still rocking my first street bike, my 2005 DRZ, over 8 years with it now! I go through a lot of bikes but this one has stuck with me the entire time. Just can't bring myself to part with it.

It's starting to burn oil with just shy of 22,000 miles on the odometer and I plan to crack it open soon and investigate. I suspect the usual culprits of oil consumption since it's not doing anything else out of the ordinary. But, since I'm in there (famous last words...) I might as well make it a bit more lively. I'm looking for some wisdom from others that have been down the same path.

Current mods are a full MRD SSW w/ baffle, 39mm FCR, 3x3 mod, K&N filter and proper jetting to go with that set up. At 15,000 miles the valve clearances were still in spec. Really runs great aside from the fact that it's consuming oil.

After some research on the topic, I'm pretty sold on the Cylinder Works big bore kit. Cost vs gains/features doesn't sell me on the Athena compared to the CW kit and it seems pretty tried and true. Unless someone has some input here...I'm open to more info on going big bore and how to achieve it. I'm not interested in doing a stroker kit.

I'm toying with putting cams in while I'm in there. Here's where most of my confusion lies. What's the hot ticket with cams? This bike is primarily used for supermoto duties, both track days and street riding, although it doesn't get used a whole lot for day to day use, I have other bikes I commute with. I do ride off-road occasionally on 21/18 dirt tires. While it's not my main concern, I don't want to sacrifice too much off-road usability if I don't have to. So, being used for on and off road with an on road preference, what's the combination of cams that seems to work best for this situation?

If I do put new cams in, with 22,000 miles on it, should I consider doing new valves and valve springs as well? Or just have them inspected and re-cut if need be? If I should be looking at new valves/springs, what's popular?

One more, with doing a big bore kit, if you had the choice of adding cams or port and polish (just one of those) which would you go with? Reason I ask is I'm considering how much I actually want to spend on it. If there's more benefit to doing port and polish over cams, I may just forgo cams. But, if cams go better with the big bore then I'll go that route.

Thanks!

I did the quick turn a long time ago, seriously one of my favorite mods.

As for the cams, yes, those are all good brands, but which cams specifically? I’ve seen a lot of discussion between stg 1, stg 2, E model and combinations thereof. I’m looking for best usable power for my use and bang for the buck horsepower.

After more digging into this, Hotcams Stage 2 intake and exhaust cams keep cropping up as favorable options. Is that the general consensus?

Also, valves and valves springs. Should I be swapping those as well when putting in the new cams? Or just go off how they look when I get in there?

Hotcams don’t have enough lift to make aftermarket springs a necessity. With 22k I would be considering a valve job using ferrea valves

OEM valves are two piece, standard size ferrea are one piece.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

According to the experts the stock drz springs are good for up to .400" lift cams.But with that high of mileage and having reshimmed the valves already it would be wise to rebuild/recondition the head and get it done right all at once.imho

I had my eye on a set of web cams. Although after investigation, they would require new valves, springs, and seats. All of a sudden a $500 set of cams turns into a $1k project. At that rate, you are only a couple hundred off from a stroker assuming you have the cylinder works kit. 

Right on. I’ll look into those ferrea valves.

I’m going to see what a set of new, standard duty, valve springs goes for (stock or aftermarket). Maybe with 22k miles it’s cheap insurance to replace them while I’m in there? Or just reuse the stock ones?

1 hour ago, photorider said:

Right on. I’ll look into those ferrea valves.

I’m going to see what a set of new, standard duty, valve springs goes for (stock or aftermarket). Maybe with 22k miles it’s cheap insurance to replace them while I’m in there? Or just reuse the stock ones?

Stock.  Partzilla.  Kawasaki 2004.  https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/2004/klx400r-canada-only-klx400-b2/valve-s-camshaft-s

5 hours ago, roleyrev said:

Is there a particular reason you pointed to the Kawasaki ones?

They have them for my particular bike: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2005/dr-z400sm/camshaft-valve

Gotcha. 

If I'm doing new valves, should I do new guides too?

As for those Ferra valves, the distributor I'm looking at doesn't carry them. What are thoughts on Wiseco, ProX or Kibblewhite valves? 

Those in the know around here recommend Ferrea valves with stock valve springs.  I think that valve guides are not a common wear item and I have heard of them last several head refreshes'.  Yes @Gsxrstuntdrz is correct when he says green DRZ's (Kawasaki) have cheaper parts.  I've just done a 462 build and most of the required parts I used were Kawasaki due to the price differences.  I'm waiting on the head parts (the valves have arrived) to find a head shop to fit it all up.

Those in the know around here recommend Ferrea valves with stock valve springs.  I think that valve guides are not a common wear item and I have heard of them last several head refreshes'.  Yes [mention=372621]Gsxrstuntdrz[/mention] is correct when he says green DRZ's (Kawasaki) have cheaper parts.  I've just done a 462 build and most of the required parts I used were Kawasaki due to the price differences.  I'm waiting on the head parts (the valves have arrived) to find a head shop to fit it all up.

Most parts but surprisingly not all, I always check both when ordering OEM parts. If you are in the states shoot me a PM I can recommend a good shop for head work

2 minutes ago, Gsxrstuntdrz said:

Most parts but surprisingly not all, I always check both when ordering OEM parts. If you are in the states shoot me a PM I can recommend a good shop for head work

Thanks for the offer I'm in New Zealand so I'll see what I can find locally first.

Out of curiosity, why do you say Kibblewhite is a hard no?  I talked to my dude that will be doing the head work today, he highly recommends using Kibblewhite valve components.