2018 yz 125 clutch problems.

Hey everyone,

So I purchased a new hinson clutch kit for my bike. It came with everything. I was getting the suspension done and i figured i would put a better clutch then stock in there. I guess i should have listen to that saying that if it aint broke dont fix it. Well i put everything together. I followed the directions to the "T" and i also reference the service manual for torques etc. I put oil in my bike pulled the clutch in and it felt like nothing was there at all. the clutch cable was so loose i had to make some major adjustments to get some tension back in the cable. I thought that was odd. I started the bike pulled the clutch in and shifted it to first gear and the bike wanted to take off. I had to adjust the clutch so far that it was almost all out of adjustment threads. I had to use both the clutch and cable adjustment. Started the bike again and still wanted to take off. I have the cable so tight now that there is zero free play in the clutch. Its basically pulling the clutch lever in without pulling it in if that makes any sense. And because i have the cable so tight the clutch is hard to pull. But when i shift it into first the bike doesnt want to take off. But that still doesnt solve my problem on whats going on here. So does anyone have any idea what is going on? I might have pulled the clutch lever in while there was no basket or anything on the bike. Would that cause something to happen. As far as i can tell the ball is still sitting inside the shaft on top of the push rod. thanks in advance 

Take it apart confirm it was truly installed correctly.  That's the first step I'd complete if it was workly correctly previously.  Its very easy with pulling clutch baskets apart to put a washer on the wrong side of the basket.  I've done it many times!

15 hours ago, foca793 said:

Hey everyone,

So I purchased a new hinson clutch kit for my bike. It came with everything. I was getting the suspension done and i figured i would put a better clutch then stock in there. I guess i should have listen to that saying that if it aint broke dont fix it. Well i put everything together. I followed the directions to the "T" and i also reference the service manual for torques etc. I put oil in my bike pulled the clutch in and it felt like nothing was there at all. the clutch cable was so loose i had to make some major adjustments to get some tension back in the cable. I thought that was odd. I started the bike pulled the clutch in and shifted it to first gear and the bike wanted to take off. I had to adjust the clutch so far that it was almost all out of adjustment threads. I had to use both the clutch and cable adjustment. Started the bike again and still wanted to take off. I have the cable so tight now that there is zero free play in the clutch. Its basically pulling the clutch lever in without pulling it in if that makes any sense. And because i have the cable so tight the clutch is hard to pull. But when i shift it into first the bike doesnt want to take off. But that still doesnt solve my problem on whats going on here. So does anyone have any idea what is going on? I might have pulled the clutch lever in while there was no basket or anything on the bike. Would that cause something to happen. As far as i can tell the ball is still sitting inside the shaft on top of the push rod. thanks in advance 

I'd be looking for #  21 is it in there

Screenshot_20191001-124415.png

• Helpful 1

Alright just got off the phone with hinson tech line and the guy said that there is one fiber plate that's different from the rest. He said it needs to be the last one for the pressure plate to seat correctly. Apparently it has a blue tab on it. I dont remember seeing that in the directions any where. Lol well hopefully this fixes the problem. 

2 minutes ago, foca793 said:

Alright just got off the phone with hinson tech line and the guy said that there is one fiber plate that's different from the rest. He said it needs to be the last one for the pressure plate to seat correctly. Apparently it has a blue tab on it. I dont remember seeing that in the directions any where. Lol well hopefully this fixes the problem. 

Huh.... Never heard of such a thing but i don't mess with hinson much

9 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Huh.... Never heard of such a thing but i don't mess with hinson much

Yaa I never heard of it either. He said there setup is unique 

Even on the the 19 450f their are 3 clutch plates that have to go in a certain spot, they mark them with red color 

There are bikes that have a starter fiber, and end fiber, with different fiber through the center. Evidently, Hinson does this also. 

Also important to soak new fibers. 

Okay well sure enough they were right. The blue tab fiber plate is bigger then the rest and now everything works perfect. Thanks everyone 

• Helpful 1

Your issue has nothing to do with the clutch plates. The pressure plate has notches that have to line up with the grooves in the inner hub. Take it back off and turn it one spring boss at a time. You'll find one that allows it to drop down farther and contact the plates. When you pull the clutch cover, you'll find the clutch plates move in and out about 3 or 4 mm. Once you get the pressure plate lined up, the plates won't move at all when its correct.

8 minutes ago, MX Tuner said:

Your issue has nothing to do with the clutch plates. The pressure plate has notches that have to line up with the grooves in the inner hub. Take it back off and turn it one spring boss at a time. You'll find one that allows it to drop down farther and contact the plates. When you pull the clutch cover, you'll find the clutch plates move in and out about 3 or 4 mm. Once you get the pressure plate lined up, the plates won't move at all when its correct.

When I took it apart I found the blue tab on the friction plate the hinson tech was talking about and in deed the tabs on this plate are longer then the other tabs on the rest of the friction plates. 

Yes, the plates are different but the pressure plate *has* to be installed clocked correctly on the inner hub or the plate indexing won't do shit. What actually fixed the issue? I've run into this dozens of times over the years.

10 minutes ago, MX Tuner said:

Yes, the plates are different but the pressure plate *has* to be installed clocked correctly on the inner hub or the plate indexing won't do shit. What actually fixed the issue? I've run into this dozens of times over the years.

Putting the friction plate with the blue tab last like the guy from hinson said. That fixed the issue. The pressure plate was installed correctly but he said it doesnt seat right if the blue tab friction plate isn't the last one you put into the basket. He said that's where all the play in the clutch was coming from. Not having that friction plate in the correct spot. 

I've always used oem clutch plates. I've never had the plate marked with blue to deal with. As long as its fixed, that's all that matters.