2019 WR250R or 2018 250 EXC-F

Hey folks,

Me and my pops are looking to get back into riding after many years off. I recently picked up a Husky FE350S and we’re looking for a bike for my dad now. He’s been trying out the husky and loves the bike but we don’t want to get two of the same bike. We were debating whether to go with a Yamaha WR250R or a KTM 250 EXC-F. The difference is about $1,000 CDN more for the KTM.

If you folks were deciding between the two what you go with?

Once again I appreciate the help tremendously!

Cheers!

Carlos

Thanks for the input. I spoke to a sales rep today and he was telling me the 250 does not have a lot of power compared to my husky. He mentioned because of the restrictions they put on these bikes to make them street legal the power suffers. Is there a simple solution to get the best out of the bike?? He won’t be doing crazy stuff but if we come up on a hill climb or single track obstacles will he be okay??

Cheers!

There are hundreds of pages on uncorking and tuning these bikes. Uncorked 250 is pretty close to stock 350 in top power. 350 will have more grunt at the bottom regardless because of the reciprocating mass. Stock 250 is about 30HP. Uncorked and tuned 35HP. 350 is ~38hp stock. 45HP uncorked and tuned. If he was cross shopping a WR250R, I don't understand why this is even a discussion. 250 EXC-F makes more power than the R. 

Thanks sorbales. I appreciate the info.

Initially we were interested in the WR250R and the 250Exc-F but I think the KTM is the much better choice in this comparison.

The 350 exc-f came into play after I spoke to a rep and he seriously under valued the 250. That made me start thinking of the 350. We’ll be fine with either bike. We’ll just go for whatever bike we get the better deal on between the KTM’s.

I’ll keep you folks posted :D

All the best!