chattering noise

i just picked up an 08 klx450r,the dude wired a tusk lighting kit and did a poor job so i was afraid to ride it,i rewired it and went on the first ride yesterday and noticed a loud chattering noise from the countershaft sprocket when just cruzing,give it throttle and it goes away,let off and rode steady throttle and chattering noise again from front sprocket area,i got home put it on a stand,i shifted it in gear and i can roll the rear tire back and forth before it stops,my klx650 had some play in it but this is twice as bad,or is it normal,it does need chain and sprocket i noticed to but i doubt its what the noise is,so i called the dude and he said he thought the noise was the tire rubbing,so he knew something was wrong but didnt tell me about it,any suggestions?i wanta take it back to him and tell him i want my money back

Chain is loose, it is a common sound when you lug it a little, worse if the chain is loose.

chain tension/sag are ok,i took the chain off and with it in gear i can turn the countershaft more than it should,also found it has frame damage on bottom rails,skidplate is toast,oil leak,pet cock leaking gas and the title is questionable,the motor size and model are blank on the title,going to the dmv in the morning,should be a long wait being its the 1st of the month,any one have a service manual they can send|i went to manuslib and the search comes back with nothing besides off topic crap,gonna delete that to

the chain slaps normal, but the slack will be a little less than you would be use to on other bikes.

• Like 1

Any burnt rubber, like from doing burnouts on pavement? That stuff finds its way all around.

i just bought it last week so i havent done any burnouts,,noise is definetly in the transmission,i got the new sprockets and chain today,i custom fabricated a mid pipe to a delkevick silencer,still rewiring the lighting kit,it wasnt installed very well and checking to see if the title is clean,dude i bought it from wont answer back

These have bad chain noise. Mine brand new just got it home and chuging around the yard when it made it the first time.  It sounded like piston slap.  I was ready to take it back. I read up and put on a TM Designs slide and guide kit. Much better.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, crazyal426 said:

the chain slaps normal, but the slack will be a little less than you would be use to on other bikes.

My new 2018 had the slap from day one . I got used to it ....... once you do the maint you will have a great bike/ they get up and go with a few easy mods.

odd401 - waterproof the stator plug behind left radiator,  they are prone to water ingress..... will make bike run like crap

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 11:59 AM, wielywilly-g said:

These have bad chain noise. Mine brand new just got it home and chuging around the yard when it made it the first time.  It sounded like piston slap.  I was ready to take it back. I read up and put on a TM Designs slide and guide kit. Much better.

God damn that chain slap from new, Took mine to the dealer 3 times and they were convinced piston slap. 70000 plus post on chain slap eased my mind.

• Like 1