Using KTM 150 cylinder on KTM 125

Hi all,

I wonder if  it's  possible to mount the cylinder of a KTM 150 on a KTM 125? (i have KTM 125 year 2013).

Thank's

11 minutes ago, khero said:

Hi all,

I wonder if  it's  possible to mount the cylinder of a KTM 150 on a KTM 125? (i have KTM 125 year 2013).

Thank's

No, the 125 and 150 have different cranks, and the 150 has a longer stroke.  You'd need a 150 crank also.

The ability to swap between 125/150 top ends didn't start until 16, the previous generations do not allow it without swapping the crank. 

Edited by Poldies
  • Like 3

Many thank's

So, if i understand, i can do it if i change the crank too?

Is there other considerations to observe? is it easy to success in it?

15 minutes ago, khero said:

Many thank's

So, if i understand, i can do it if i change the crank too?

Is there other considerations to observe? is it easy to success in it?

Yes, you will need the 150 crank and rod, 150 cylinder, PV, etc.  a lot of guys make their pre 16 125/150’s into 200’s as well.  Pretty popular mod here in the US. 

Edited by Poldies

38 minutes ago, Poldies said:

Yes, you will need the 150 crank and rod, 150 cylinder, PV, etc.  a lot of guys make their pre 16 125/150’s into 200’s as well.  Pretty popular mod here in the US. 

How do you find a 200SX to ride compared with the 150SX? Is it easier to ride? or does it hit and pull harder and bag up the back wheel like a top fueler?

I have a spare 200 jug there and a 150 with unknown hours on its lump, so I occasionally wonder... but then again I admittedly like the 150 how it is!! Enough power for me and it comes on progressively.  

49 minutes ago, BushPig said:

How do you find a 200SX to ride compared with the 150SX? Is it easier to ride? or does it hit and pull harder and bag up the back wheel like a top fueler?

I have a spare 200 jug there and a 150 with unknown hours on its lump, so I occasionally wonder... but then again I admittedly like the 150 how it is!! Enough power for me and it comes on progressively.  

My 200sx’s were great, I loved my 150, but the 200 was just more everywhere.  Better low end, great mids, and would rev as far as I wanted, provided I had the pipe for it.  Some woods races I would install a gnarly for, and as you’d expect, it fell totally flat on top.  With an sx pipe, and a 38mm carb, they were just awesome.  

I never played around too much with CDI’s though.  I was fortunate enough to have 200sx CDI’s for both of them.  I know guys are ha big success with the 125/150 cdi’s Too, but never did a back to back comparison. 

I sent @KTMRider4Life a 200sx CDI and PV governor years ago to do some testing.  I believe he chose the 125sx Cdi over the 200sx?  He might have some more specific info on that. 

I think ink it was all the factors that made my 200’s so good for me, CDI, pipe, carb and close ratio gearbox.  I prefer them to the wide ratio on the exc/xcw. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Poldies said:

My 200sx’s were great, I loved my 150, but the 200 was just more everywhere.  Better low end, great mids, and would rev as far as I wanted, provided I had the pipe for it.  Some woods races I would install a gnarly for, and as you’d expect, it fell totally flat on top.  With an sx pipe, and a 38mm carb, they were just awesome.  

I never played around too much with CDI’s though.  I was fortunate enough to have 200sx CDI’s for both of them.  I know guys are ha big success with the 125/150 cdi’s Too, but never did a back to back comparison. 

I sent @KTMRider4Life a 200sx CDI and PV governor years ago to do some testing.  I believe he chose the 125sx Cdi over the 200sx?  He might have some more specific info on that. 

I think ink it was all the factors that made my 200’s so good for me, CDI, pipe, carb and close ratio gearbox.  I prefer them to the wide ratio on the exc/xcw. 

I don't remember getting an sx cdi but I definitely got the sx timer. Strangely that timer has a stronger spring causing the pv to open slower so it was actually smoother. I did prefer the original timer (mxc) as it hit harder and sooner. 

I am one who uses a 125sx cdi, it's not a world of difference but it does rev a little quicker and snappier. My favorite settings:

38mm carb JD Blue middle clip, 38 pilot, 190 main

PV low in the window so it hits early

FMF Fatty for 200sx pipe

125sx cdi

cases matched, head cut and cylinder ported for overall power everywhere

that makes for a nasty little motor, had many friends ride it and be shocked how quick it was especially for tight woods. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, Poldies said:

Yeah I've ridden a gnarly on my mates 98 EGS and personally I am not a fan IMO it wasnt as good anywhere...

Interestingly, what I like about the 150SX, is that perversely it doesnt seem to hit. It just pulls harder until you need to shift it lol. Maybe its a combo of extra midrange and gearing but the 200 seems to have a shorter more violent window of power.

Good when you semi short shift and get the ratios right it's fast, but get it wrong and it spins up like mad.

7 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I don't remember getting an sx cdi but I definitely got the sx timer. Strangely that timer has a stronger spring causing the pv to open slower so it was actually smoother. I did prefer the original timer (mxc) as it hit harder and sooner. 

I am one who uses a 125sx cdi, it's not a world of difference but it does rev a little quicker and snappier. My favorite settings:

38mm carb JD Blue middle clip, 38 pilot, 190 main

PV low in the window so it hits early

FMF Fatty for 200sx pipe

125sx cdi

cases matched, head cut and cylinder ported for overall power everywhere

that makes for a nasty little motor, had many friends ride it and be shocked how quick it was especially for tight woods. 

I think the PV timer might be the biggy eh?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BushPig said:

Yeah I've ridden a gnarly on my mates 98 EGS and personally I am not a fan IMO it wasnt as good anywhere...

Interestingly, what I like about the 150SX, is that perversely it doesnt seem to hit. It just pulls harder until you need to shift it lol. Maybe its a combo of extra midrange and gearing but the 200 seems to have a shorter more violent window of power.

Good when you semi short shift and get the ratios right it's fast, but get it wrong and it spins up like mad.

Funny you say that about the 200, mine does seem to have a fairly narrow power band,  it spins up real hard and fast and its work to ride,  lots and lots of shifting or more importantly clutch work,  but I'll be damned if its not damn fast riding that way.  For short bursts its "quicker" than bikes with more displacement,  long runs it'll get outrun though.   

Im not sure what you mean about the timer,  the 200sx was built for Langston and he liked smooth power,  which makes sense why the sx timer is the way it is.  From the sound of the way you like your 150 to run you'd probably live a 200sx motor.  

I like the violent nasty power, I'll deliver it and smooth it out with the clutch and being a gear high.  

Edited by KTMRider4Life
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BushPig said:

I agree with KTMrider, you'd like the 200sx.  The 200sx comes with the 2K3 flywheel that the 300's get, it really smoothed out the violent hit, and made it pull smooth through all the gears.  The 200sx is also a 6 speed, not the 5 speed the 125's were getting back then.  When you line up the differences between the 200sx, and the mxc/exc you start seeing what made them so great imo.  Just a handful of different parts made a totally different bike imo.  

I love my 250, but a well tuned 200 2 stroke might just be the perfect displacement. 

• Like 1