93 yz250

I’m trading my 99 cr125 with a 2004 motor for a 93 yz250 looks pretty clean what should I expect out of this yz250?IMG_0606.JPG

51 minutes ago, Liferider44 said:

I’m trading my 99 cr125 with a 2004 motor for a 93 yz250 looks pretty clean what should I expect out of this yz250?IMG_0606.JPG

should be a decent trade, the only bad part would be that hot rods and other companies that make bottom end kits don't make them for the older yz's, so if something is some how wrong with the bottom end it would have to be replaced with oem parts that tend to be a lot more expensive. If everything works great that bike will rip though Yamaha has always had a good 250 class. 

• Like 1

The YZs are very nice bikes they make a lot of power and handle quite well should be a good trade

I do not think the yz’s were anything special back then. I would look that bike over very well before making the trade. Have you checked parts availability for that old of a yz?

The YZs are very nice bikes they make a lot of power and handle quite well should be a good trade

I do not think the yz’s were anything special back then. I would look that bike over very well before making the trade. Have you checked parts availability for that old of a yz?

Unless you have a sentimental reason, it's a 27 y.o. bike. The only plus you have would be a couple more horsepower.  Everything else would be a minus, imo. Nice looking CR125 btw.

• Like 2

Unless you have a sentimental reason, it's a 27 y.o. bike. The only plus you have would be a couple more horsepower.  Everything else would be a minus, imo. Nice looking CR125 btw.

I just can’t stand how gutless this 125 is it’s like an on off switch you have to be in the power band at all times. Me being 200lbs it’s even worse.

As someone who has owned old machines finding parts can be a problem and expensive.

Find a bike that is more suited to the type of riding you do and your size.

I started on a 94 YZ125 then went to a 99 cr250. I now have a 06 450X. Even 12 years ago when I acquired the YZ it was a problem to get some parts for it. The 99 CR250 was 11 years old and tons of those were made so parts were easy and cheap. Same with the 450X that I have had for a year now.

I have a 1995 WR, almost the same bike as the 1993 YZ250. I love my bike but IMO unless you specifically want a 90s YZ you'd be better off with a 99+, preferably 02+ model.

Otherwise, it's a fun bike. Very predictable and I'm by no means a pro. Parts are sometimes hard to find, most used stuff is nearly worn out and plastics are costly.

• Like 2

It's a 26 year old dirt bike so it's probably going to need something fixed , worked on , or replaced everytime you go ride it .

Save up some more cash and get something newer .