Before I jump on the beta wagon

Current owner of a 2011 klr 650 and a 2017 xt250. Probably riding 3-5k miles per year. Maybe more now that my wife has started riding.

Would like to buy a beta 500. But.... no dealer anywhere close and I read about issues. Not sure how I’d manage that being 3 hours away. Anyone else have a long distance relationship with beta dealer and putting that kinda mileage or higher on it?

20 minutes ago, Dkrad1935 said:

Current owner of a 2011 klr 650 and a 2017 xt250. Probably riding 3-5k miles per year. Maybe more now that my wife has started riding.

Would like to buy a beta 500. But.... no dealer anywhere close and I read about issues. Not sure how I’d manage that being 3 hours away. Anyone else have a long distance relationship with beta dealer and putting that kinda mileage or higher on it?

The motors are indestructable. You will be hard pressed to find a post anywhere about an actual motor failure.

These bikes, like any 'race bred' bike, are not set up for comfort, and not designed to be ignored for long periods of time.  You have to maintain them. 

Where the KLR and XT can typically be ignored for years at a time, any Euro bike will require a real once-over before each ride.

The most common euro issues are rubbing electrical harnesses causeing short/opens, poorly insulated electrical connectors causing corrosion and lost contacts, and shorter service intervals. 

There is no need for a dealer, really, anymore. The best info is on the web, and the parts are shipped 3 day to anywhere in the country.

Most dealers are clueless anyway, and cannot provide any meaningful support.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

What he said, Steve is THE man.

Another +1 for motoxgiant, although I'm fortunate enough to only be an hour from him.

Kennedy

• Like 2

Despite what is posted above you should be worried about a local dealer for at least the warranty period one years or so. While Beta's are durable they are not free from issues and some while not actual motor failures did need a dealer to service. If you are serious about a Beta then it sounds like you will need to roll the dice on warranty work from a dealer and travel the 3hrs. At 3-5k miles a year you will be thru a bike every other year! Are you sure these type of bikes are what you need??

If you're doing your own maintenance, I would not be worried about dealer locations. 

If you're not doing your own maintenance, there are few dealers that I trust. 

Despite what is posted above you should be worried about a local dealer for at least the warranty period one years or so. While Beta's are durable they are not free from issues and some while not actual motor failures did need a dealer to service. If you are serious about a Beta then it sounds like you will need to roll the dice on warranty work from a dealer and travel the 3hrs. At 3-5k miles a year you will be thru a bike every other year! Are you sure these type of bikes are what you need??

The rr-s bikes only last 5k miles?

I am over 6 hours from my dealer, Motoxgiant. There are 2 closer and an ex KTM/BETA race mechanic an hour away. There was a dealer 30 minutes away when I bought my 2013 but he went out of business due to personal issues, BETA actually called me about options for a local dealer and I gave them the best guy and shop for the job but they went a different direction and that dealer is now out of business.

So location should not be a deciding factor if you can do your own work. I had a warranty issue and sent a video and a picture and it was taken care of. You need a dealer who is available, cares about the brand, rides the brand and has mechanical skills and knowledge as well as stocks parts and can get them too you quickly. Many disposables can be purchased at a local store.

But wow those are high miles and you might be better served by a DRZKLR 400 or equivalent.

4 minutes ago, Dkrad1935 said:

No but 10k (as posted 5k every other year) will need motor attention. When compared to your KLR any of these type of DS bikes (KTM, Beta) are fragile and require much more attention. Can you go longer then 10K without any motor work?? maybe.

• Like 1

No, but those are commuter type miles, the RR-S are barely legal street bikes designed for primarily off-road riding and just using the street to connect trails.
  • Like 2

If I am riding to work or the store or want to tear up the curves I ride my Goldwing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dkrad1935 said:

Sent a pm

Forget the PMs fellas. This is for the masses to consume. I also am interested in the 500rrs and any info if great.

Get on the Beta wagon. I did in 2017. I had no idea what a fantastic choice I had made till later. I knew on my first ride it was a choice I could live with but in those 2.5 years I’ve become a huge Beta fan. At this point I would not buy anything else. Maybe an old YZ 125 would be fun but for actual off road this 300 is frickin tits

• Like 3

Yeah. May not be for me. Not interested in rebuilding an engine ever really. It’s not commuting as much as joy riding. With hopes of doing parts of the TransAmerica Trail.

I guess I am really wanting to understand the cost of ownership over 10-20k miles? I can afford to spend some dollars but don’t really want to be surprised. I can do some maintenance myself..... but.....

I got my 2017 500 RR-S 02/22/2017.  It has been an excellent machine so far.  

I have almost 4,700 miles and 265 hours.  

I have an 11 mile roundtrip commute every day on small city streets and is where most of the miles, probably 80% have come from.  Riding the bike to and from work has been a hoot.  

Outside of the oil/brake fluid/coolant changes, I have replaced;

Coolant temp sensor

Water pump seal last month.

Countershaft sprocket seal last spring

Starter-last August-I was hard on the starter that prior winter.  

I don't count stuff like tires and brake pads or even chain and sprockets repair-even though I'm still on the stock 13/48 chain and sprockets. 

The 500 has been a phenomenal machine so far.  The valve cover has not been off yet.  

The bike has been converted to a snowbike the past two seasons, a 2018 Camso DTS 129 kit and has been nothing short of heaven on the snow, by far the most fun anyone can have on any machine-at least the way I see/feel things.  

I have 90/10 street/dirt tires as I like riding more on dirt than the street and am always ready for dirt even though the bike is mostly used on the street.  The Motoz tractionator H/T front I/T rear combo has been choice so far.  

Get a 500, maintain the bike yourself and get that 10-20K in a few years like you want to do.  

Anytime I have been off-road, I have hammered the bike and when I'm done, I get on the road, and it is like the bike has never been ridden.  It is a tough bike for all I have been putting it through.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

34 minutes ago, Dkrad1935 said:

I guess I am really wanting to understand the cost of ownership over 10-20k miles? I can afford to spend some dollars but don’t really want to be surprised. I can do some maintenance myself..... but.....

Ben500's your best resource. 

My only input is I've owned a KLR650, DRZ400 and XR650L to use as adventure biking. I had the '17 Beta 390rrs. Bikes are not in the same category. Not that you can't use the 390 as a commuter or adventure bike, but as others have said, it's a full dirt oriented bike, ready to race at local Enduro that happens to be street legal. Only the Beta and KTM'S/Huskys fit this category. The new Honda CRF450L is a more traditional on/off road bike that's built for comfortable street use and can handle the off road. 

There's always a compromise with anything that's trying to pull off both on/off road duties. The Beta's will absolutely be awesome in the trails/woods, but suffer on the road. The valvetrains are excellent, but it's still a light weight off road bike and not going to be as maintenance free or have the longevity of the less performance oriented dualsports like your KLR or DRZ.

Just some thoughts to consider. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1