17" supermoto wheels, to go name brand or not?

I want to put 17" wheels on my 08 ktm 530 exc-r and have begun looking into the prices. I think it is clear that excel and warp9 are the best but they are also top dollar. I wanted some opinions of 17" rims you can get off ebay? More specifically these, https://tinyurl.com/y6l8h3lp

I'm sure these are manufactured in China or something and the "grade" of aluminum might be different? If anyone has any first hand stories about these type of rims I would love to hear them. For nearly $1000 less than the name brand, I want to think that they will be worth it. That's why I'm looking for some opinions though 🙂

If anyone is selling wheels for my bike, I would love to hear your offer.

I do think there is some wisdom and truth in the phrase "Buy once cry once"

If you invest the money into a top quality Excel wheel set you will never wonder about their performance.

If on the other hand you are not afraid of the cheaper but still good quality wheel sets out there I would suggest looking into the super moto wheel set that is being offered by USAmotortoys in Lindon, Utah.  They have sourced wheels for sumo conversions of their GPX brand of bikes which also fit KTM.  At the very least you know the product is in the USA and if you have any issues you can call and talk to someone on the phone. 

You just gonna ride it on the street or hoon it like a true supermoto? With the low profile tires more load is transmitted to the rim. Cheapies won't hold up if you abuse them. I thought Warp 9s were pretty cheap?

• Like 1

You just gonna ride it on the street or hoon it like a true supermoto? With the low profile tires more load is transmitted to the rim. Cheapies won't hold up if you abuse them. I thought Warp 9s were pretty cheap?

I mean I really just plan on riding it for fun and commuting to work and back. I wouldn’t put a culvert jump past myself though. I’ve never built a super moto before this is my first one. I thought a little over 1k for rims was quite expensive considering I could get 4 truck rims for nearly the same price. Maybe I just need to throw down the money for some quality wheels.

I would easily put the money down on Warp9's. Their customer service is absolutely top notch and their rims have held up great. They really took care of me once even though it was my screw up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EXCelerate said:

I mean I really just plan on riding it for fun and commuting to work and back. I wouldn’t put a culvert jump past myself though. I’ve never built a super moto before this is my first one. I thought a little over 1k for rims was quite expensive considering I could get 4 truck rims for nearly the same price. Maybe I just need to throw down the money for some quality wheels.

Warp9 are about the cheapest option I'd consider. if you think they're expensive look at Excel/Talon, or Marchesini etc

• Like 1

My bike came with some chinese wheels, they work great for wheelies haha. No bends.

But if you think Warp 9 is expensive, idk what to tell you. Check out those Marchesini's

I need to know how this turned out! 

On 10/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, EXCelerate said:

Ok I just bought the warp 9’s! Time to wait..

What rim width did you go with? Tires? and is it super fun?! I have the same bike and still use it in the woods but I need it to do street duty as well!

22 hours ago, deeper said:

I need to know how this turned out! 

What rim width did you go with? Tires? and is it super fun?! I have the same bike and still use it in the woods but I need it to do street duty as well!

It’s been amazing. I just ordered whichever ones came from warp9 after you enter in your bike info. Did have to trim the suspension guard because the tire rubbed heavy but I did hear if you switched on 2007 plastics it will work. Not 100% on that though yet. 

I will say the bike runs very hot on the road and especially at red lights where you might have to idle for 3 minutes. It doesn’t help that the engine oil reservoir is so small. I do have a fan on the radiator. If I end up keeping the bike (considering upgrading to get fuel injection) I will definitely upgrade the cooling system to a higher pump and whatever else I can do. 

let me know if you have any other questions about the bike I’ve spent a lot of Time on it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EXCelerate said:

It’s been amazing. I just ordered whichever ones came from warp9 after you enter in your bike info. Did have to trim the suspension guard because the tire rubbed heavy but I did hear if you switched on 2007 plastics it will work. Not 100% on that though yet. 

I will say the bike runs very hot on the road and especially at red lights where you might have to idle for 3 minutes. It doesn’t help that the engine oil reservoir is so small. I do have a fan on the radiator. If I end up keeping the bike (considering upgrading to get fuel injection) I will definitely upgrade the cooling system to a higher pump and whatever else I can do. 

let me know if you have any other questions about the bike I’ve spent a lot of Time on it!

Did you go with a 4.25" or 5" rim on the rear? I'm considering a 5" and interest to know the tire size you have

Supermoto rims do not get abused the same way as MX wheels, period. Ive been racing supermoto for 10 years and have never seen a broken wheel. Offcourse some rims have been bent, but if you hit a obstacle wrong in high speed any brand will bend.

In Europe Alpina is the most common choice and they are +1100 USD a set. But for examle https://vmx-racing.com/ are 650 USD a set and have been working equally well.

Go for 5" rear. 4,25 requires 150 wide tyres and there is less selection. 5" is tight in the swing but with 160 tyres provides much better profile. 160 tyre on 4,25 rim gives really bad profile.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, p_kerttu said:

Supermoto rims do not get abused the same way as MX wheels, period. Ive been racing supermoto for 10 years and have never seen a broken wheel. Offcourse some rims have been bent, but if you hit a obstacle wrong in high speed any brand will bend.

In Europe Alpina is the most common choice and they are +1100 USD a set. But for examle https://vmx-racing.com/ are 650 USD a set and have been working equally well.

Go for 5" rear. 4,25 requires 150 wide tyres and there is less selection. 5" is tight in the swing but with 160 tyres provides much better profile. 160 tyre on 4,25 rim gives really bad profile.

Checked https://vmx-racing.com/vmx-casting-supermoto-wheels-35-50-for-ktm-sx-f-exc-r-250-500-530_p0715.html and they look good. You have these? How do you like the quality? Where are you and how long did it take for shipment?

You say 5" gives more selection? What sidewall height do you use, tire and where do you shop?

12 hours ago, deeper said:

Checked https://vmx-racing.com/vmx-casting-supermoto-wheels-35-50-for-ktm-sx-f-exc-r-250-500-530_p0715.html and they look good. You have these? How do you like the quality? Where are you and how long did it take for shipment?

You say 5" gives more selection? What sidewall height do you use, tire and where do you shop?

I live in Sweden and I know they ship all over Europe. However they are china based so should not be an issue shipping all over the world. They are the same as SM pro wheels.
I got mine shipped and received within 4 days with no extra fees. Only thing I dislike is that the rims are blank, I like the matte finish on all my other rims. The blank surface just seems more prone to show defects.

I usually run Michelin Supermoto B and C, 160/60 r17
https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tyres/michelin-power-supermoto 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 3:06 AM, SS109 said:

I would easily put the money down on Warp9's. Their customer service is absolutely top notch and their rims have held up great. They really took care of me once even though it was my screw up.

Here is a set of Warp 9s on my DR

IMG_4600.JPG

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4609.JPG

• Like 4

I like that DR, she turned out great.. but, I've gotta say.. that has to be the longest FMF pipe/canon I've ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, zibbit u2 said:

I like that DR, she turned out great.. but, I've gotta say.. that has to be the longest FMF pipe/canon I've ever seen.

I think it's more of the picture angle.. 

• Haha 2