Wr250 vs wr450

I'm looking to get rid of my yz125 and get a dual sport bike. I was looking at a wr450f or a wr250f and I'm not sure which one to get....I want a light bike like the 250 but I'm worried I will be dissapointed with the power. I'll be riding trails, roads, dunes, hare scrambles and just about everything except track. Does anyone have any advise on which bike I should look at?

The 250 will have less throttle response than your 125 but, a much torquier, tractable and a wider / easier to ride spread of power.

I own both a 125-2T and CRF250X (comparable to the older WR's),

never could I imagine trail riding the rev happy 125-2T in technical terrain where the 250 easily chugs thru.

(though the WR and CRF-X engines are still based on motocross race engines but 'de-tuned' to be more torquey)

IMO coming from a 125 you will already notice the 45lbs gain of stepping up to a 250F, never mind the additional 30lbs or so more a 450F lugs around.

More power and more weight of a 450 will also wear you out sooner.

On top of being heavier, 4-strokes carry their weight up higher, amplifying the heaviness when you loose balance and begin to tip over.

Sand dunes is about the only place you could perhaps wish for more power than a 250.

Keep in mind if you ride in slow stop-and-go terrain, a 4-stroke is more prone to overheat, look into an electric cooling fan.

Edited by mlatour

Thanks for your response... it sounds like that the 250 will be better for what I do since I usually ride to the trail than spend all day at the trail and than ride back. I think a 450 might just be too big.

• Like 1