Upgraded stator blowing lights?

I just bought a 2008 ktm exc-r 530 second hand. I am the second owner so I know every previous mod has been from one owner. The bike came without the tail light because the guy admited it had burned out and he just rode trails so he just took the whole assembly off. He thinks it blew because he upgraded the stator so he ended up putting the stock stator back in but gave me the upgraded one with the purchase of the bike.

I would like the put the upgraded stator back in because... why not have more power? I ordered a new tail light though and don't want to blow this one though. I was wondering if there was anything I needed to add with the stator to not blow the lights? Maybe this was just a coincidence? I have only ever rode 2-stroke bikes with no electronics so I am not familiar with all this electrical stuff.

Most common causes of lights failing is a poor ground followed by vibration. A cheapo R/R can also cause trouble. If the R/R was left untouched and the bike is not burning out lights, most likely the other stator had a bad ground. However.... any time a person does not fix something cheap like a light bulb, you can rest assured, there is a lot more wrong with it.

Contact the new stator manufacturer and ask their recommendations for wiring and a regulator.  Then install the new stator, run it for a bit and check the voltage while it's running.  If it's much over about 14V then look that the wiring is correct, and make sure the voltage regulator is working properly.   

Most of these bikes use shut type regulators, the stator produces full power then when voltage is high enough the regulator shunts the coils to ground, using one of a few different methods.  They do it this way because it's cheap and easy to make.  If the new stator isn't wired properly to the regulator then it might be running full power all the time, resulting in too much voltage.  OR it's possible the new regulator is making more power than the regulator can shunt, requiring an upgraded regulator.  

Despite having once owned the 09 530 I can't remember if that bike originally came as an AC to headlight powered bike?      Now, normally when you upgrade the stator or do what has been called "The DC Mod" you change from an AC power going to the lights to DC power.  That mod right there gives you much brighter lights.   Now, part of this mod is the addition of a bigger rectifier/regulator.   If you got a new stator then it also had more windings for increased output.    I would contact Trail Tech, they used to be the kings of this upgrade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twp8357 said:

Despite having once owned the 09 530 I can't remember if that bike originally came as an AC to headlight powered bike?      Now, normally when you upgrade the stator or do what has been called "The DC Mod" you change from an AC power going to the lights to DC power.  That mod right there gives you much brighter lights.   Now, part of this mod is the addition of a bigger rectifier/regulator.   If you got a new stator then it also had more windings for increased output.    I would contact Trail Tech, they used to be the kings of this upgrade.

Float the ground- You're old enough to know that one.

They are definitely AC as they only turn on with the engine running. I’m going to look more into this mod thanks!