Hi all, new to the forum. Let me start by saying that I've researched the heck out of this topic with no luck. Went to my local dealer but the sales guy was not at all helpful in answering any of my questions. So, if there is already a thread out there on this topic please point me to it. 

I realize that these two bikes are totally different animals. The WR250 inspired by it's race proven MX counterpart whereas the CRF250F is essentially a replacement for the CRF230F.

I do not race or have any intention to do so. I really only ride on ATV trails with my friends and occasionally ride down fire roads. I'm in my twenties but don't ride that aggressively. I am not an expert rider but I am not a beginner. I started on a KX100, then went up to a TTR230. I got bored with that and bought a YZ250F. Not the best decision I've made. Partly my fault for not doing the research before getting it. The maintenance was a nightmare on it. I changed the oil religiously, air filter, kept a logbook with everything done to it and it still blew up once it hit 27 hours which seems really low but I don't know. Maybe I just had a bad one. I loved the reliability of my TTR230 and the YZ250F did not even come close. Now, for a disclaimer I did buy the bike used. It has 23 hours on it. Did the previous owner ride it hard and sell me a ticking time bomb? Yea, maybe. Upon researching the issue though after my bike blew up, I found it to be pretty common with the 250 four strokes to need lots and lots and lots of maintenance and even then, they can sill blow up or need top end rebuilds. Coming from my bullet proof 230, I was not a happy camper. But again, I should've done the research and known what I was getting into. 

So, in the search for my next bike. Reliability and longevity are huge for me. I absolutely love the new WR250F but don't want a repeat of my YZ250F. I know that the WR has a new engine plus it has some different parts compared to the MX version. But will it still have the same issues I experienced on my YZ250F? Besides my concerns with reliability and longevity, I love it. The WR250F looks like it will have plenty of power for what I want to do and do it comfortably thanks to it's really nice suspension. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it is my fear of it's longevity. I want the reliability of my TTR230 (or close to it) but the power of my YZ250F. Will the WR250F fill this goal?

As for the Honda, I like that the CRF250F will behave similar to my TTR in terms of low end torque. I loved how torquey that bike was in the low end. It pulled like a tractor. My concern with the CRF250F is the suspension mainly. I am also a little concerned that the CRF will feel slow and underpowered coming from my YZ250F. Even though it's a 250, it is still air cooled, which means the motor is a tank and will run for a very long time with little maintenance just like my TTR, but after riding my YZ250F, I am a little worried I won't be happy with the power. 

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I have been without a bike since my YZ250F broke on me and am eager to get back to riding.

It sounds like you've researched a lot on both bikes,

for the average recreational rider the CRF250F will have ample power, no doubt more tractable right off idle and at low rpms than the WR.

Downside to the new 250F versus the previous 230F, it's now only a 5-speed gearbox and, the suspension hasn't been improved.

Myself trail ride a Honda CRF250X, I would have picked a CRF230F over the power and complexity of a 250X

but being a backyard suspension tuner limits what I could tinker with on the entry level trail bike's basic components.

I often wish for a simpler air-cooled engine though with no rads or water pump to get damaged by rocks and tumbles.

The new 250F engine is no doubt 'mod-able' for more power but being fuel-injected adds complexity (programmed) versus a carburetor.

Mod it for more power and you'll quickly run into the limitations of it's suspension,

start modding the suspension and now you've spend $$$ IMO better invested in a more performance oriented bike (WR).

Ridden in it's intended usage, the WR engine is under less stress than the high-strung MX race bike,

my comparable 2008 CRF250X likely has 450+ hours on it's original bottom end and, the rebuilt top end is still going strong after 4 season.

(only one valve required a minor re-shim)

Finding an adult owned, low hours / well maintained bike is the key.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mlatour said:

It sounds like you've researched a lot on both bikes,

for the average recreational rider the CRF250F will have ample power, no doubt more tractable right off idle and at low rpms than the WR.

Downside to the new 250F versus the previous 230F, it's now only a 5-speed gearbox and, the suspension hasn't been improved.

Myself trail ride a Honda CRF250X, I would have picked a CRF230F over the power and complexity of a 250X

but being a backyard suspension tuner limits what I could tinker with on the entry level trail bike's basic components.

I often wish for a simpler air-cooled engine though with no rads or water pump to get damaged by rocks and tumbles.

The new 250F engine is no doubt 'mod-able' for more power but being fuel-injected adds complexity (programmed) versus a carburetor.

Mod it for more power and you'll quickly run into the limitations of it's suspension,

start modding the suspension and now you've spend $$$ IMO better invested in a more performance oriented bike (WR).

Ridden in it's intended usage, the WR engine is under less stress than the high-strung MX race bike,

my comparable 2008 CRF250X likely has 450+ hours on it's original bottom end and, the rebuilt top end is still going strong after 4 season.

(only one valve required a minor re-shim)

Finding an adult owned, low hours / well maintained bike is the key.

Thank you for your advice. I definitely agree that money is better spent investing a more performance oriented bike like a WR. This will definitely help me in making a decision. Thanks!

• Like 1

Yamaha have a reputation for being extremely long lived and reliable.  Any bike that "blew up" at 27 hours had some major issues.  

The older 5-valve generation of WR engines last forever.  I've got one that has to have 300+ hours on it and has had no major parts replaced.

You will not be happy with a pokey air cooled bike with crappy suspension.

Despite lower HP and limited suspension, a CRF230F or new CRF250F certainly have a place for certain types of riding.

Myself ride a CRF250X and 75% of the time either above mentioned bike would suffice, especially in slow stop-and-go technical spots.

Lower seat height, no rads or water pump to damage or leave you stranded in the event of a leak,

virtually stall proof engine etc.     Simplicity does have it's advantages.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

Yamaha have a reputation for being extremely long lived and reliable.  Any bike that "blew up" at 27 hours had some major issues.  

The older 5-valve generation of WR engines last forever.  I've got one that has to have 300+ hours on it and has had no major parts replaced.

You will not be happy with a pokey air cooled bike with crappy suspension.

Yea I definitely think that I just bought a bad bike. 27 hours is too low to be having major issues. I have heard great things about the older WR's. Definitely a bike to look into. Thanks.  

8 hours ago, nobade said:

YZ250X?

Have not really looked into it. Thanks for mentioning, I will check it out.