2013 kx450f clutch engagement

I just picked up a ‘13 kx450f.  The clutch engages way late in the stroke.  The previous owner claimed it had a new clutch which I verified. It has brand new plates and fibers.  No amount of cable adjustments change the engagement point.

i ordered the adjustment washers that go on the clutch plate but I can’t really see that 1mm washer is going to make much of a difference.  Am I missing something?  

The correct washers work. if the installed clutch height is not right the engagement will not be right. 

Edited by skthom2320

Just wanted to follow up.  I did try every combination of cable adjustment available but it didn’t change anything.  Finally I ordered the 1.0 mm washer.  This is the washer that adjusts the distance the engagement arm is from the fixed cable mount.  The stock washer is 1.5mm.  I put the 1.0mm washer in and it cured the late engagement problem.  I honestly was very surprised that .5mm would make that big of a difference but it does.  Now it starts to engage at a little past the 1/3 point which is perfect for me.

on a side note, you can stack up to 2 1.0mm washers if you have the opposite problem.  If your clutch is engaging too early you can stack them and it will make the engagement happen later in the stroke of the lever.  I believe you can also order different thickness of clutch plates to make the overall clutch pack the correct width but the washer worked for me.

3 hours ago, Wyo-flyer said:

Just wanted to follow up.  I did try every combination of cable adjustment available but it didn’t change anything.  Finally I ordered the 1.0 mm washer.  This is the washer that adjusts the distance the engagement arm is from the fixed cable mount.  The stock washer is 1.5mm.  I put the 1.0mm washer in and it cured the late engagement problem.  I honestly was very surprised that .5mm would make that big of a difference but it does.  Now it starts to engage at a little past the 1/3 point which is perfect for me.

on a side note, you can stack up to 2 1.0mm washers if you have the opposite problem.  If your clutch is engaging too early you can stack them and it will make the engagement happen later in the stroke of the lever.  I believe you can also order different thickness of clutch plates to make the overall clutch pack the correct width but the washer worked for me.

Ok, thanks for the info.

It is always something to learn 😁