Trip Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

Headed on vacation next week from Southern California up to as far as B.C. and looking for some recommendations for some technical single track. I'm taking my 250 TPI. I have a 500 EXC but will probably leave that at home unless there's a good reason not to.

Only places I have planned is Georgetown, CA and Gifford Pinchot High and Blue lake in Packwood, WA. 

I've been reading some threads and Little Naches sounds good too.

Thanks!!!

Places I've been to:

Kennedy Meadows, CA
Foresthill, CA
Burlington Motorcycle Train System, CA

John's Peak OHV, OR
Prospect OHV, OR
Florence, OR
Tillamook State Forest, OR - May go here again
Upper Nestucca, OR - May go here again
Hood River County OHV, OR

Gifford Pinchot High and Blue lake in Packwood, WA
Walker Valley OHV, WA

McNutt, B.C - May go here again
Vedder Mountain
Cat Lake, B.C. - was too dry and loose when I was there

Mountain bike trail suggestions are welcome too. The only stop planned is Ashland, OR to do the shuttle there.

1 hour ago, crepit said:

Hi Everyone,

Headed on vacation next week from Southern California up to as far as B.C. and looking for some recommendations for some technical single track. I'm taking my 250 TPI. I have a 500 EXC but will probably leave that at home unless there's a good reason not to.

Only places I have planned is Georgetown, CA and Gifford Pinchot High and Blue lake in Packwood, WA. 

I've been reading some threads and Little Naches sounds good too.

Thanks!!!

Places I've been to:

Kennedy Meadows, CA
Foresthill, CA
Burlington Motorcycle Train System, CA

John's Peak OHV, OR
Prospect OHV, OR
Florence, OR
Tillamook State Forest, OR - May go here again
Upper Nestucca, OR - May go here again
Hood River County OHV, OR

Gifford Pinchot High and Blue lake in Packwood, WA
Walker Valley OHV, WA

McNutt, B.C - May go here again
Vedder Mountain
Cat Lake, B.C. - was too dry and loose when I was there

Mountain bike trail suggestions are welcome too. The only stop planned is Ashland, OR to do the shuttle there.

Ya you got McNutt and Vedder covered. I live in Squamish and haven't been to Cat for awhile but we have lots of rain and you won't have to deal with dust and then also Lava Flow but a bit more fast/flowy but some techy trails.

For Squamish MTB https://www.trailforks.com/region/squamish/

And they actually have the lava flow dirt bike trails which is a first for Trailforks. This is just one but look around. IE Blindside, Bonsai, but I'm just looking at it and it doesn't show all the lava flow dirt trials unless I'm missing something.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/stp/

Whistler bike park is open until the 14th

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/explore-the-park/hours-of-operation.aspx

Have fun 🙂

• Like 2

I would watch the northwest section close as we have got snow at high elevations. Naches and Gifford depending on weather you maybe stuck riding low land trails. As you can be 5-6k+ ft at both locations 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, filterx said:

Ya you got McNutt and Vedder covered. I live in Squamish and haven't been to Cat for awhile but we have lots of rain and you won't have to deal with dust and then also Lava Flow but a bit more fast/flowy but some techy trails.

For Squamish MTB https://www.trailforks.com/region/squamish/

And they actually have the lava flow dirt bike trails which is a first for Trailforks. This is just one but look around. IE Blindside, Bonsai, but I'm just looking at it and it doesn't show all the lava flow dirt trials unless I'm missing something.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/stp/

Whistler bike park is open until the 14th

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/explore-the-park/hours-of-operation.aspx

Have fun 🙂

I didn't think Whistler would be open. I definitely want to mountain bike ride in the Squamish area. The last time I was in the area I was too beat up from Whistler, McNutt and Vedder.

That's awesome that some of the dirt bike trails are in Trailforks! I wish more areas had this.

Thanks for the info!

32 minutes ago, crepit said:

I didn't think Whistler would be open. I definitely want to mountain bike ride in the Squamish area. The last time I was in the area I was too beat up from Whistler, McNutt and Vedder.

That's awesome that some of the dirt bike trails are in Trailforks! I wish more areas had this.

Thanks for the info!

I don't MTB but both Whistler & Squamish should be awesome for traction 🙂

For a number of reasons I haven't been dirt biking much and I'm seriously out of shape but if your planning on DB is Squamish on the weekend, shoot me a PM and we can maybe hook up and ride some of the lava flow area. Otherwise I might be able to hook you up with some other locals who could show you the goods at both Cat/lava flow🙂

If it was summer I would say bring the 500EXC and we could do some dual sport rides BUT if you where coming in say July or August I would suggest bringing both bikes and spending a week or so in the interior of BC cus IMO LOTS more to ride on both bikes 🙂

Edited by filterx

You've got a good list of potential ride spots there, I'd check website for corresponding areas to ensure their open.

Thought I'd share this as I use this site for Oregon to check cams mainly for a snow check or when travelling over the passes or if I'm riding in the Cascade Mtns.

https://www.tripcheck.com/

Hood River OHV is a blast, it has good flow as some is mtb dual use.

https://www.co.hood-river.or.us/?SEC=7DA2793D-5DB7-4C5E-AA66-FA28925E66E2

If you been to Tillamook OHV then you know there are tons of trails spread out and linked for the most part. Diamond Mill is what you want of single track, but all of it is fun.

General Tillamook OHV info

https://www.oregon.gov/ODF/Recreation/pages/MotorizedTrails.aspx

Link to Tillamook OHV maps

http://tillamookstateforest.blogspot.com/p/ohv-trails.html

Love Johns Peak too.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I don't think this snow is going to be around but a couple days....not much up there and the forecast isn't for cold

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Team_Oatmeal_Pie said:

You've got a good list of potential ride spots there, I'd check website for corresponding areas to ensure their open.

Thought I'd share this as I use this site for Oregon to check cams mainly for a snow check or when travelling over the passes or if I'm riding in the Cascade Mtns.

https://www.tripcheck.com/

Hood River OHV is a blast, it has good flow as some is mtb dual use.

https://www.co.hood-river.or.us/?SEC=7DA2793D-5DB7-4C5E-AA66-FA28925E66E2

If you been to Tillamook OHV then you know there are tons of trails spread out and linked for the most part. Diamond Mill is what you want of single track, but all of it is fun.

General Tillamook OHV info

https://www.oregon.gov/ODF/Recreation/pages/MotorizedTrails.aspx

Link to Tillamook OHV maps

http://tillamookstateforest.blogspot.com/p/ohv-trails.html

Love Johns Peak too.

Have fun!

Thanks for the links! I found some gpx files for Diamond Mill. The last time I was there, there were markers for a race and I still lost the trail.

Timberline just opened up their downhill park 

McCubbins gulch is just down the road

Neither is technical, but both are a blast if you like to push speeds in the Timber

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

I don't think this snow is going to be around but a couple days....not much up there and the forecast isn't for cold

I'm pretty worried about the snow but hopefully it won't stick around. I can always head to coastal forest.

1 minute ago, crepit said:

I'm pretty worried about the snow but hopefully it won't stick around. I can always head to coastal forest.

Conditions at Timberline and McCubbins will be ideal next week. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Conditions at Timberline and McCubbins will be ideal next week. 

I've ridden Timberline on my mtb using the bus as a shuttle. I'll have to check out the new bike park. I still haven't been to Sandy Ridge.

Sandy Ridge is definitely fun. I haven't been up there in a couple of years, but I know they have been adding more trails and possibly a shuttle. 

Clifty had snow today but even the gnarliest of trails were rideable with some effort. 

Any guest from SoCal gets red carpet treatment from me. If you wanna ride some great stuff, let me know. I’m in the Tacoma area. 

EF256A50-877D-4277-8681-87DA3A145782.jpeg

ED0E093F-785A-49BA-AE33-91FA8E1E5176.jpeg

59 minutes ago, crepit said:

The forecast is calling for a warming. No need to worry. 

• Like 1

Used to live a few blocks up the street from Sandy Ridge, actually that was my private moto practice area for years (not my land) but spent lot of hours with a shovel and pick building a long loop.  Then one day boom mtb area.  Its great though and tons of fun on a mtb.  Like FirfFighter said its warming up later this weekend 60's at pass level.

If you swing by the Forestry office in Forest Grove on the way to Tillamook OHV you can grab a map/ or call Reid Brown OHV coordinator and ask him if the maps have been stocked up at the trail head recently.    So many trails easy to get lost, but so much fun.

Tiger's got a good read on Washington.

If you have a week you'll have a blast.  If you're riding solo take a spot tracker so someone can find you in the event of trouble.  

Last week had to ride solo between Gerlach NV and Fields Station OR on dirt )buddies ktm blew up- ran into Sheriff middle no where in torrential downpour with snow just a thousand feet above in the surrounding mtns, day earlier 3 riders split up and the solo guy was missing/over 24 hours past due. Not good.  Be safe and have fun.

Edited by Team_Oatmeal_Pie
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Clifty had snow today but even the gnarliest of trails were rideable with some effort. 

Any guest from SoCal gets red carpet treatment from me. If you wanna ride some great stuff, let me know. I’m in the Tacoma area. 

The forecast is calling for a warming. No need to worry. 

Looks like the good stuff there!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Team_Oatmeal_Pie said:

Used to live a few blocks up the street from Sandy Ridge, actually that was my private moto practice area for years (not my land) but spent lot of hours with a shovel and pick building a long loop.  Then one day boom mtb area.  Its great though and tons of fun on a mtb.  Like FirfFighter said its warming up later this weekend 60's at pass level.

If you swing by the Forestry office in Forest Grove on the way to Tillamook OHV you can grab a map/ or call Reid Brown OHV coordinator and ask him if the maps have been stocked up at the trail head recently.    So many trails easy to get lost, but so much fun.

Tiger's got a good read on Washington.

If you have a week you'll have a blast.  If you're riding solo take a spot tracker so someone can find you in the event of trouble.  

Last week had to ride solo between Gerlach NV and Fields Station OR on dirt )buddies ktm blew up- ran into Sheriff middle no where in torrential downpour with snow just a thousand feet above in the surrounding mtns, day earlier 3 riders split up and the solo guy was missing/over 24 hours past due. Not good.  Be safe and have fun.

I usually stop off at a local bike shop or forestry office to pick up a map and use my phone gps as backup. It's always better meeting someone local rather than fumbling with maps or getting frustrated with gps apps.

I have a plb, emergency supplies, notify someone where I am with approximate route and time finished and ride extra slow when I'm solo. It's never fun when your bike goes off trail and you have to drag it back on by yourself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crepit said:

I usually stop off at a local bike shop or forestry office to pick up a map and use my phone gps as backup. It's always better meeting someone local rather than fumbling with maps or getting frustrated with gps apps.

I have a plb, emergency supplies, notify someone where I am with approximate route and time finished and ride extra slow when I'm solo. It's never fun when your bike goes off trail and you have to drag it back on by yourself.

The National Geographic Maps for Washington State very accurately list motorized and bicycle trails. Additionally, the maps are very well made and last a long time. For a visitor, in my opinion the biggest bang for the buck riding area is Little Naches by Cliffdell Washington. You can camp below, and ride up and down mountains all day, and have access to some facilities in nearby Cliffdell. The riding ranges from moderate to extreme, with scenery that is 10/10. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

The National Geographic Maps for Washington State very accurately list motorized and bicycle trails. Additionally, the maps are very well made and last a long time. For a visitor, in my opinion the biggest bang for the buck riding area is Little Naches by Cliffdell Washington. You can camp below, and ride up and down mountains all day, and have access to some facilities in nearby Cliffdell. The riding ranges from moderate to extreme, with scenery that is 10/10. 

I'll PM you when I get in the area. I may just spend my entire time in Washington. Little Naches and High and Blue Lakes are on the agenda!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crepit said:

I'll PM you when I get in the area. I may just spend my entire time in Washington. Little Naches and High and Blue Lakes are on the agenda!

Have you been to either? If not, you'll think you found dirt bike Heaven.