Tire cracked

2 minutes ago, OldMechanik said:

While servicing my bike today, I noticed thin cracks along the sidewalls of the rear tire, a fairly new Metzeler MC360 Mid-Hard. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it?IMG_8502.JPG

Not familiar with these tires but they look new and if I'm not mistaken 002315 is the week/year of tire manufacture which would mean they are about four years old?

If so do you know where they'd been stored?

I don't think that 002315 is the build date code, look for another 4 digit code, often surrounded by an oval.

By memory the Metzeler MX360 series were introduced no more than 2 years ago :excuseme:

The side knobs don't show any signs this tire was ever run at super low pressures,

did you ever get a flat and ride it out?

Perhaps let the air out of the tire and try spreading those cracks to see how deep they go,

depending how far off the beaten path you ride, you may decide not to gamble keeping this tire in service.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, filterx said:

Not familiar with these tires but they look new and if I'm not mistaken 002315 is the week/year of tire manufacture which would mean they are about four years old?

If so do you know where they'd been stored?

That does NOT look like the date code, that is a 4 digit number, in a oval outline.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scrammer said:

Look at mine ,, purchased it on Ebay ,, I am still running it as long as I can !! Need Money ,,wahh    

That's not safe on the street. There's no excuse for taking such a big risk. I hope you don't hurt any innocents when you go down.

I've been through a few of those MC360's.  Never had anything like this occur.

After who knows how many hours and several months of MX the side knobs are beginning to tear off.  I've been amazed how well this tire hooks up and how long it lasts.

• Like 1

Date code is 1618, so it’s not aged. I have used tires that are quite old and not had this problem. There are no cracks in the tread area or broken knobs. I do use tubes and run around 8-10 psi in it. I’m just pretty bummed about the quality. The tread is great but a good tire should not develop cracks anywhere.

2 hours ago, OldMechanik said:

Date code is 1618, so it’s not aged. I have used tires that are quite old and not had this problem. There are no cracks in the tread area or broken knobs. I do use tubes and run around 8-10 psi in it. I’m just pretty bummed about the quality. The tread is great but a good tire should not develop cracks anywhere.

Totally agreed with ^. Knobs get a hard life on pavement. A strong motor can tear them off right down to the canvas.

I try to ride gentle, but just that one time you open it up...  They look a bit weird for stress cracks anyway???

8-10 psi is not enough for pavement, if this is where the cracks developed, I'd suggest 15-20psi and air down at the trail, not that these look like anything you've done wrong.

Myself, I would probably mention it to the dealer and if wouldn't go good, I'd run them until worn out. Maybe a season if I was lucky. If they got any worse, I'd push the dealer a bit harder. Pictures are a good idea. 

4 hours ago, OldMechanik said:

Have you tried contacting whoever you bought these from OR Metzeler directly since there may be a manufacturing issue they are you might not be aware of?

I've personally never had a crack in the sideways in any of my dirt/street tires and if I did, I'd be doing the about so good luck and lets us know if you find out.

ya I use HD tubes and run fronts 6ish to 12ish and rears 2ish to 12ish PSI depending on tires, time of year and IMO its hard to describe the type of terrain and how we ride it for where we live so as an example some of the stuff I can ride on various bikes/tires etc and I've posted this many times and not what I prefer to ride but take some time to contact the seller/manufacture.

Phil.endrocross.thumb.jpg.463da779a51aff61c6ce9b13e6280114.jpg

DRZ is also street legal and I don't use DOT tires on it

Edited by filterx

On 10/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, OldMechanik said:

While servicing my bike today, I noticed thin cracks along the sidewalls of the rear tire, a fairly new Metzeler MC360 Mid-Hard. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it?IMG_8502.JPGIMG_8503.JPGIMG_8504.JPG

That's not dry rot. Looks like it's a result from the vulcanization process. I wouldn't be concerned. 

• Like 1