Jump to content

No more 450's !

Recommended Posts

Husqvarna: no more FE450 (green sticker), and no  FE450S (aka EXC street legal) to be sold in the USA. Only the 350 and 501. 

Same with KTM !  No more 450EXC 6days , now it's 500 only.

Very strange. That leaves the Beta 430 as the only mid 400cc street legal bike available in the USA !

Sherco and TM have chosen no to homogate their enduro bikes for the USA.........

Edited by KRAYNIAL
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only have they dropped the 450, have you gone to a dealer and looked at a 350 or 501? They have street tires in them from the factory! Their exhaust looks like to old Yamaha pea shooter as well. 

An old riding buddy lives about 5 blocks away and he's transitioned to all ADV riding. He was a top notch A, almost AA Enduro racer. 

He's a hardcore orange Koolaid guy and won't consider any other brand as they are obviously inferior. He's got a 690, but bought a 350xcfw this year. He stopped by a couple of months ago and he said that the 350 ran like a XR200 stock. Absolutely gutless. Mods got it to where it needed to be, but the point is that, now Beta is literally the only manufacturer left producing a street legal true Enduro bike that runs unbelievably well right off the showroom floor. 

The restrictions KTM is now facing is forcing some pretty significant changes to the old "Ready to Race" bikes they used to be able to import. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, firffighter said:

Not only have they dropped the 450, have you gone to a dealer and looked at a 350 or 501? They have street tires in them from the factory! Their exhaust looks like to old Yamaha pea shooter as well. 

An old riding buddy lives about 5 blocks away and he's transitioned to all ADV riding. He was a top notch A, almost AA Enduro racer. 

He's a hardcore orange Koolaid guy and won't consider any other brand as they are obviously inferior. He's got a 690, but bought a 350xcfw this year. He stopped by a couple of months ago and he said that the 350 ran like a XR200 stock. Absolutely gutless. Mods got it to where it needed to be, but the point is that, now Beta is literally the only manufacturer left producing a street legal true Enduro bike that runs unbelievably well right off the showroom floor. 

The restrictions KTM is now facing is forcing some pretty significant changes to the old "Ready to Race" bikes they used to be able to import. 

 

Yamaha had this restriction as well for years with throttle stops, and pea shooter exhaust on the WR426/450. All in the name of making a Ca green sticker legal bike (not even street legal)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

Yamaha had this restriction as well for years with throttle stops, and pea shooter exhaust on the WR426/450. All in the name of making a Ca green sticker legal bike (not even street legal)

We had a WR450f and 250f at one point in time. Decent once de-restricted. It was so odd Yamaha was the only manufacturer importing then that way, while Honda CRF450 and 250 X"s had no such restrictions. 

KTM used to be able to sell a 350, 450, 500 street legal that ran great right off the bat, but no longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Husqvarna: no more FE450 (green sticker), and no  FE450S (aka EXC street legal) to be sold in the USA. Only the 350 and 501. 

Same with KTM !  No more 450EXC 6days , now it's 500 only.

Very strange. That leaves the Beta 430 as the only mid 400cc street legal bike available in the USA !

Sherco and TM have chosen no to homogate their enduro bikes for the USA.........

I know TM is way too small to be able to afford homologating their bikes. It’s crazy expensive!! Plus it only really affects CA and a few other states. Many other states you can get a plate for dirt bikes. 

Heck at this point Sherco isn’t even carb certified to be sold in CA at all!, but with the new importer I’m sure that’s going to change pretty quick.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta is lucky enough to be excluded from some emissions laws. Until they sell in a large enough number to warrant it.

The KTM, Husky, and Honda dual sports are greatly restricted but have great performance once uncorked. It just an unfortunate result of California's rules. At least they offer the XC-F and FX if you don't need a plate. And I also suspect the 250 and 450s didn't sell as much at the 350 and 500.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cullins said:

I know TM is way too small to be able to afford homologating their bikes. It’s crazy expensive!! Plus it only really affects CA and a few other states. Many other states you can get a plate for dirt bikes. 

Heck at this point Sherco isn’t even carb certified to be sold in CA at all!, but with the new importer I’m sure that’s going to change pretty quick.  

What does that mean sherco/tm are not allowed to race ama events?

Edited by The Creature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Huh? No one said that....

 

Huh? Im asking a question..

What does non homogolated mean?

good lord u are abrasive

Edited by The Creature
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Creature said:

What does that mean sherco/tm are not allowed to race ama events?

When we say homologate we’re referring to the process of making a bike street legal, not the process of making a bike legal for pro motocross.  

To homologate a bike for pro motocross is also very expensive. Obviously Sherco not building an MX model has no interest or reason to. TM doesn’t even import enough bikes to do it. 

So in the end Sherco and TM don’t have bikes that can be ridden on the street or raced in a Supercross or National.  

Edited by Cullins
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cullins said:

When we say homologate we’re referring to the process of making a bike street legal, not the process of making a bike legal for pro motocross.  

To homologate a bike for pro motocross is also very expensive. Obviously Sherco not building an MX model has no interest or reason to. TM doesn’t even import enough bikes to do it. 

So in the end Sherco and TM don’t have bikes that can be ridden on the street or raced in an Supercross or National.  

What about ama offroad nationals like nhha, worcs or something?

Edited by The Creature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Creature said:

What about ama offroad nationals like nhha or something?

Doesn’t apply. It’s only because of the production bike rule at Supercross and MX Nationals. Any other form of racing can run anything. Can run a one off full works bike! 

Also doesn't apply to amateur nationals like Loretta Lynn where TM’s are raced.    

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, firffighter said:

The restrictions KTM is now facing is forcing some pretty significant changes to the old "Ready to Race" bikes they used to be able to import.

How does Beta get around this?  X number of total sales and Beta is below the threshold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

You are the one calling people names, yet I am abrasive.

You are more abrasive than outhouse toilet paper.  Just own it, it's who you are.

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, redrider144 said:

How does Beta get around this?  X number of total sales and Beta is below the threshold?

They don't 'get around it' they are told in advance what level of scrutiny they will be under based on the quantity of motorcycles they plan to import, for each classification they will be selling in : closed course, off road, dual sport, and street. 

Homolgation is the 'official approval' created by homogonizing of the products to all meet that same criteria  from brand to brand, with a great deal of leway given for smaller production quantities.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...