yz125 rims

i put a paddle on my 2010 yz125 and i hate changing bike tires so i haven’t taken it off yet lol. but i wanna ride between dune trips. so i’m in the market for another rim to mount my mx33 on. what years/models of rims would fit on mine? are 250f rims compatible? any info is appreciated. thanks in advance 

See chart below for compatibility,

if I'm reading it correctly, 2002-2020 YZ125 and 2004-2008 YZ250F seems to be the only exact equivalents.

A YZ125 uses a 1.85" wide rear rim, although a 2.15" from larger bikes fits

many 100/90-19 tires are overstretched when mounted on a 2.15" rim

and, running anything larger (like a 110/100-19) often bogs down a 125.

YAMAHA wheel chart.jpeg

Edited by mlatour
  • Helpful 1

58 minutes ago, mlatour said:

See chart below for compatibility,

if I'm reading it correctly, 2002-2020 YZ125 and 2004-2008 YZ250F seems to be the only exact equivalents.

A YZ125 uses a 1.85" wide rear rim, although a 2.15" from larger bikes fits

many 100/90-19 tires are overstretched when mounted on a 2.15" rim

and, running anything larger (like a 110/100-19) often bogs down a 125.

YAMAHA wheel chart.jpeg

is being that far overstretched something to worry about? i assume it’s not ideal. just asking in case i found a deal on one. having a hard time finding one so far. going to check a salvage yard tomorrow hopefully they will have what i need. 

50 minutes ago, Cole Prout said:

is being that far overstretched something to worry about? i assume it’s not ideal. just asking in case i found a deal on one. having a hard time finding one so far. going to check a salvage yard tomorrow hopefully they will have what i need. 

You need complete, or just a hoop? I have a set of wheels for a 125. PM for any details etc. 

Edit: that is if you are USA lower 48. 

Edited by 2SYZDOC

9 hours ago, Cole Prout said:

is being that far overstretched something to worry about?

I had a brand new un-ridden Bridgestone X10 exhibit small cracks all the way around the bead the moment it was inflated.

Unfortunately I don't have the pics anymore but it was very evident the tire profile wouldn't of been optimal for traction.

(ever see those ricer Honda Civic owners mount 8" wide tires on 10" wide wheels...)

For a long time my spare YZ125 rear wheel was a 2.15" which wasn't an issue until a few years ago 

when the trend in many new tire designs has been going to even lower profiles despite the same advertised size.

As an example the Michelin Starcross 5's, the previous Starcross MS3 and MH3 were both slightly wider and taller 

than the current Soft and Medium, all having same 100/90-19 nominal size.

Edited by mlatour