Coolant in oil

Hi All. New member here! I bought a new-to-me beta (my first beta ever): 2016 beta 250 rr with 40 hrs on it. When I bought it, the coolant level was full. I ran it for may be 5 mins max. After that it sat in my garage for 3 weeks or so. When I rechecked the coolant, the level had gone down. I drained the oil and was bummed to see coolant in the oil. I have seen the absolute chocolate milk consistency coolant in oil before; this was NOT that, but there was definitely coolant in the oil. I drained the coolant and a significant amount of coolant came out and it was clear: no oil. 

Some online searching showed a head o-ring problem very common with these betas, but on a two stroke a head o-ring won't cause coolant in oil. I am replacing the head o-rings with KTM ones anyways (because, why not!). All signs and support from other forums point to a defective water pump seal. Looking at the beta microfiche, looks like there is just the one oil seal: Part #34 in 

https://shop.betamotor.parts/en/products/enduro/2016/rr-2t-250-300-1/exhaust-valve-60

Is that correct? It is just the one seal that sits behind the impeller? So I don't need to take out the cluster cover and simply get to it by taking the water pump cover off? Any tips on doing this job, any gotchas? And lastly, seems the one from KTM will fit, has anyone tried using the KTM OEM oil seal? It is just so much easier to get compared to Beta OEM.

Thanks folks!

Man sorry to hear that! My 16 250 rr race has 300 hours and zero mechanical issues. I'm not doubting your diagnosis but I will say, without question, if the last owner used the recommended motul gear oil it comes out the exact same color as green coolant. Happened on my 19 300rr. Freaked me the F out! Fortunately it was just a poor color choice by Motul hacks and the bike is fine. Just a consideration unless you are 100% sure and before you go through all the trouble. Otherwise,  I'm clueless to your actual question. Good luck!! It's a sweet bike. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks. You probably saved me a bunch of hassle. The oil actually looked exactly like oil but had a green-ish color. I am now reasonably sure, it wasn't coolant just the color of the oil. I am going to refill coolant and new oil and just ride the sucker and see what happens.

• Like 1