CRF250F CRF250F Suspension

So the new dampers and progressive springs from Bruce's Suspension ( amazing customer service and I could talk with him for hours) are in along with one fork leg of 5 wt and one leg 10 wt. The new progressive springs are full length, so out went the factory spacers (7 7/8 inches btw). Won't get to test forks until next Monday.

I have the new CRF250F Hagen shock, but it's not mounted yet. As Ramz eluded to on his site your better be committed to a journey to remove the factory shock and put the new one in. When I started to eye the shock replacement after I got done with the forks, I decided it will come apart exactly once and once only. When it comes apart, the air box will be opened up, a freer flowing air filter, the battery will be replaced with a lithium ion battery, and any other potential mod in that area will be completed in one swoop. I don't mind working on bikes and enjoy it, but removing all the electrical is a bit scary especially given efi, etc.

Best get ordering extras so I can get this done. I wish someone made a stock height billet aluminum link so I could lose some more weight when I do this

Edited by OldMac
  • Like 4

Did you ever get a chance to replace the shock and test ride the new Hagon? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as I'm thinking of buying the Hagon.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I can not speak for Hagon in CRF250F but I can for CRF230F.  While it is not as good as the Fox Podium X I use it is MAGNITUDES better than the stock shock in CRF230F.  My buddy started with John Hlebo shock and it was WAY Better than stock.  He did not believe the Hagon could be much better but once he rode it he found he had way more traction and way more comfort.  Track areas that presented difficult braking and acceleration were now a thing of the past as the tire was hooking instead of slipping.

For the time and money this shock is unbeatable and I can only assume you will find the same for CRF250F...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 7:45 PM, OldMac said:

So the new dampers and progressive springs from Bruce's Suspension ( amazing customer service and I could talk with him for hours) are in along with one fork leg of 5 wt and one leg 10 wt. The new progressive springs are full length, so out went the factory spacers (7 7/8 inches btw). Won't get to test forks until next Monday.

I have the new CRF250F Hagen shock, but it's not mounted yet. As Ramz eluded to on his site your better be committed to a journey to remove the factory shock and put the new one in. When I started to eye the shock replacement after I got done with the forks, I decided it will come apart exactly once and once only. When it comes apart, the air box will be opened up, a freer flowing air filter, the battery will be replaced with a lithium ion battery, and any other potential mod in that area will be completed in one swoop. I don't mind working on bikes and enjoy it, but removing all the electrical is a bit scary especially given efi, etc.

Best get ordering extras so I can get this done. I wish someone made a stock height billet aluminum link so I could lose some more weight when I do this

It really wasn’t much work to get the shock out and back in.

The electrical box can stay together, just two screws to loosen and angle it out the way to remove the upper shock bolt. Also the air box can stay in place. Then it’s just a matter of removing the 3 linkage bolts, lift the rear tire a bit and the shock will slide out the bottom. 

Now if your putting a different shock in, that might require some more work.

Edited by MichiganJJ
  • Like 2

The electrical box can stay together, just two screws to loosen and angle it out the way to remove the upper shock bolt. Also the air box can stay in place. Then it’s just a matter of removing the 3 linkage bolts, lift the rear tire a bit and the shock will slide out the bottom. 

Do you know eye to eye length on 250f shock

On 2/9/2020 at 5:37 PM, bajatrailrider said:
On 2/8/2020 at 9:07 PM, MichiganJJ said:

Read more  

Do you know eye to eye length on 250f shock

I didn’t measure it. But I believe @ramz did and listed it on his site. 

• Like 1

Took me about an hour to replace stock shock on my crf250f. Never did this before. Michigan JJ is spot on. I pulled a hose off my airbox to access the top bolt from above. I got the Race tech shock. Cant give a review yet, It hasn't stopped raining here in Alabama since December. I should have bought a kayak this year instead!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tbeasley said:

Took me about an hour to replace stock shock on my crf250f. Never did this before. Michigan JJ is spot on. I pulled a hose off my airbox to access the top bolt from above. I got the Race tech shock. Cant give a review yet, It hasn't stopped raining here in Alabama since December. I should have bought a kayak this year instead!

Awesome! Is that race tech longer than stock? How does it feel when sitting/standing? Also, can you post a link to the shock you got?

Edited by MichiganJJ

Just now, MichiganJJ said:

Awesome! Is that race tech longer than stock? How does it feel when sitting/standing? 

Same length as stock but its adjustable. Feels similar to stock shock around the yard. I can feel the rebound is better but I haven't taken it out for a real ride yet.

• Like 1

Google "Race tech" and their web site should pop up

6 minutes ago, Tbeasley said:

Edited by Tbeasley

Did the damper rods from Bruce Triplett today. Definitely notice a difference even just up and down the road and around the yard. Much better.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 6:05 PM, Tbeasley said:

Did the damper rods from Bruce Triplett today. Definitely notice a difference even just up and down the road and around the yard. Much better.

I talked to Bruce yesterday and am going to get the Hagon shock and modified damper rods on order. This was after I took the bike out to Hollister Hills here in NorCal on Sunday...it nearly beat me to death with the stock suspenders! This was the first "real" ride I've taken it on and while I knew the suspension sucked, I didn't realize just how bad it is on this hard-pack/loose stuff. I am going to try and post some vids later. 

How was the damper rod install? I haven't messed with forks in quite a while. I'm not too worried about the shock install after reading what you guys have posted but I'm a little intimidated by the forks. Any insight would be appreciated!

On 1/4/2020 at 5:27 AM, VortecCPI said:

I can not speak for Hagon in CRF250F but I can for CRF230F.  While it is not as good as the Fox Podium X I use it is MAGNITUDES better than the stock shock in CRF230F.  My buddy started with John Hlebo shock and it was WAY Better than stock.  He did not believe the Hagon could be much better but once he rode it he found he had way more traction and way more comfort.  Track areas that presented difficult braking and acceleration were now a thing of the past as the tire was hooking Iof slipping.

For the time and money this shock is unbeatable and I can only assume you will find the same for CRF250F...

Thanks for the input! I talked to Bruce and have the shock and damper rods on order. The stock shock feels like it's not even there...I can't wait to see how the Hagon feels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vxmoto23 said:

Thanks for the input! I talked to Bruce and have the shock and damper rods on order. The stock shock feels like it's not even there...I can't wait to see how the Hagon feels.

You will be VERY surprised at how much faster and safer your bike will be.  And far more comfortable.

Please let us know how it all turns out!

Please keep in mind that while the Hagon Shock is far superior to stock, it does not come factory new “broken in” ... it takes a while to become compliant and loosened up.
Several “days” of riding will do the trick

Please keep in mind that while the Hagon Shock is far superior to stock, it does not come factory new “broken in” ... it takes a while to become compliant and loosened up.

• Like 1