YZ250 Gearing.

I'm trying to get some opinions on gearing for my '01 YZ250.  I seem to always run out of gearing on fire roads and I'm frequently looking for a 6th gear.  (I never find it)  I have 14/52 gearing at present.  OE for my '01 was 14/50 according to the factory manual.   I was wondering what other YZ250 owners used and if they were happy with any changes made from the OE ratio.   I have stock transmission gears.  I'm a little reluctant to buy new parts to change to the OE 14/50 and think "Oh crap, it's hardly any different". 

Ive always used 50t on all my bikes for mx even back in 125 days. Sounds like you could use a 48-49 tho

• Like 1

50 works good. Anything less I found it a pain once you get in the tight stuff. But if you're only riding fire roads 48 or 49 like motox367 says.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, capt justin said:

I liked 15-51 plenty up top

How much room you got with a 15 on, I glanced at a 15 once and seems like it would be real tight

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clutch44 said:

50 works good. Anything less I found it a pain once you get in the tight stuff. But if you're only riding fire roads 48 or 49 like motox367 says.

I think I saw somewhere that an earlier series, maybe mid/late '90s  had 14/49 as the OE sprockets...?

3 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

I think I saw somewhere that an earlier series, maybe mid/late '90s  had 14/49 as the OE sprockets...?

Most brands came with 48-49 in 90s -2000s.  Going up to a 50-51 was recommend for mx

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Interesting.  I was thinking specifically YZ250's but I have the sprockets to match the 14/49 ratio VERY closely so I think I'll try it & see.  It won't cost me a penny.  BTW-Motox367, congrats on your racing year!  Keep representin' for the seniors!

• Helpful 2

8 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Most brands came with 48-49 in 90s -2000s.  Going up to a 50-51 was recommend for mx

My 00 is 48 oe ?

Edited by Smoking 2's
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Just now, motoxvet said:

Interesting.  I was thinking specifically YZ250's but I have the sprockets to match the 14/49 ratio VERY closely so I think I'll try it & see.  It won't cost me a penny.  BTW-Motox367, congrats on your racing year!  Keep representin' for the seniors!

Hey thanks ?? not bad for part timer ???

• Like 1

14/48 always worked great in the YZ trans for me. Got the combo from a guy that used to race desert on an 03. 

Its not bad in tech, and it will open up the 5th gear nice. 

• Helpful 1

Is it just me or is trying to gear for trails and fire road like asking for a good street and trail the for a dual sport?

I gear for the woods and cruise on the transfers. I've got to go slow or I'll miss a turn anyway. 🙂

I'm happy with 13/51 for NW singletrack riding. I probably ride 1st 5%, 2nd 30%, 3rd, 60% and 4th and 5th the other 5%. 

If your a racer then is gear more for the fire road and slip the clutch more on the trail.