YZ250 Gearing.

I'm trying to get some opinions on gearing for my '01 YZ250.  I seem to always run out of gearing on fire roads and I'm frequently looking for a 6th gear.  (I never find it)  I have 14/52 gearing at present.  OE for my '01 was 14/50 according to the factory manual.   I was wondering what other YZ250 owners used and if they were happy with any changes made from the OE ratio.   I have stock transmission gears.  I'm a little reluctant to buy new parts to change to the OE 14/50 and think "Oh crap, it's hardly any different". 

11 hours ago, Clutch44 said:

50 works good. Anything less I found it a pain once you get in the tight stuff. But if you're only riding fire roads 48 or 49 like motox367 says.

I think I saw somewhere that an earlier series, maybe mid/late '90s  had 14/49 as the OE sprockets...?

3 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

I think I saw somewhere that an earlier series, maybe mid/late '90s  had 14/49 as the OE sprockets...?

Most brands came with 48-49 in 90s -2000s.  Going up to a 50-51 was recommend for mx

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Interesting.  I was thinking specifically YZ250's but I have the sprockets to match the 14/49 ratio VERY closely so I think I'll try it & see.  It won't cost me a penny.  BTW-Motox367, congrats on your racing year!  Keep representin' for the seniors!

• Helpful 2

Just now, motoxvet said:

Interesting.  I was thinking specifically YZ250's but I have the sprockets to match the 14/49 ratio VERY closely so I think I'll try it & see.  It won't cost me a penny.  BTW-Motox367, congrats on your racing year!  Keep representin' for the seniors!

Hey thanks ?? not bad for part timer ???

• Like 1

Is it just me or is trying to gear for trails and fire road like asking for a good street and trail the for a dual sport?

I gear for the woods and cruise on the transfers. I've got to go slow or I'll miss a turn anyway. ?

I'm happy with 13/51 for NW singletrack riding. I probably ride 1st 5%, 2nd 30%, 3rd, 60% and 4th and 5th the other 5%. 

If your a racer then is gear more for the fire road and slip the clutch more on the trail. 

• 4 years later...

Sup yall, I have a 03 yz250 and currently doing motocross weigh 117 pounds and running 13/52 gearing, I have to shift the bike a lot and can't down shift in corners without it reving out. I was considering running the stock 14/50. Any recommendation?

4 hours ago, Siberian S said:

Sup yall, I have a 03 yz250 and currently doing motocross weigh 117 pounds and running 13/52 gearing, I have to shift the bike a lot and can't down shift in corners without it reving out. I was considering running the stock 14/50. Any recommendation?

First go up to a 14 front and see how that feels. Front sprockets are cheaper than rears too. If you're still not happy try a 50 rear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Siberian S said:

At 117 lbs you shouldn't need to be shifting much, and 13/52 is WAY to short.  The first thing I would do is spend $8 for a 14 or even a 15 (if it will fit) front sprocket.

My other suggestion would be to get some cheap sprockets (as a YZ guy, I have a whole pile of used sprockets laying around) and try some different ratios using a stop watch to take lap times.  You may be surprised that what "feels faster" does not always match up with what is objectively faster as measured by the stop watch.