Heavier flywheel... worth it? Where to get one?

Ok so here’s how dumb I am about this topic: 

What’s a flywheel?  Why is a heavier one better on the CRF250X?  Is it an easy job for a modestly mechanical person?  Where can I get one, I can't find any available for the 250X online...

I ride trail/off road only, no racing, no MX at all, looking to improve low end grunt and heard this helps.  All help appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Micah D

Worth it or not depends on usage, terrain and rider preference.

If ridden in faster flowing trails & moderate to high speed open terrain or, occasional MX track use it's not so much a desired feature

but in my case, for slow to moderate speed stop-and-go rocky trail riding, yes completely transforms the power delivery for the better.

(most effective mod I ever did to my X)

It simply makes what is a rev-happy MX based engine more trail friendly:

more tractable (less wheel spin), much less prone to stalling, lugs easier, tames the throttle response in technical terrain

yet doesn't take away any top end horsepower when needed (just takes a bit longer to rev out).

Thing is, brand new heavy flywheels for the CRF250X look to have been discontinued (Steahly Off Road)

It requires a specific flywheel puller to remove, not a common universal 3-prong puller.

BTW there are no dumb questions,

it's much smarter to ask and learn here from other people's mistakes and experiences

rather than learn the hard way by doing costly mistakes of your own.

Edited by mlatour
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

Worth it or not depends on usage, terrain and rider preference.

If ridden in faster flowing trails & moderate to high speed open terrain or, occasional MX track use it's not so much a desired feature

but in my case, for slow to moderate speed stop-and-go rocky trail riding, yes completely transforms the power delivery for the better.

(most effective mod I ever did to my X)

It simply makes what is a rev-happy MX based engine more trail friendly:

more tractable (less wheel spin), much less prone to stalling, lugs easier, tames the throttle response in technical terrain

yet doesn't take away any top end horsepower when needed (just takes a bit longer to rev out).

Thing is, the source of brand new heavy flywheels for the CRF250X looks to have been discontinued (Steahly Off Road)

Requires a specific flywheel puller to remove/install (not a common 3-prong puller)

BTW there are no dumb questions,

much smarter to ask and learn here and, learn from other people's mistakes and experiences

rather than costly mistakes of your own.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I don't do any track or MX riding of any kind, strictly trail, which is why the heavier flywheel upgrade is of interest to me.  But there's no place to get them now?

While I haven't put any searching into it,

there have been somewhat recent threads of new 250X (and R) owners inquiring for one and mention they were discontinued.

Maybe if Steahly sees there is still demand for it they will re-introduce it in their lineup.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1