Jump to content

Pit mat alternatives

Recommended Posts

Hi folks,

I’m planning on signing up for an enduro in a few weeks. It’s 2 or 3 30 mile loops, so I’m going to need to refuel. They have a requirement that I use a mat to absorb any potential spills. They recommended a KTM pit mat. Well those things cost like $150. Does anyone know if there is a suitable alternative to one of those? I see several other manufacturers of pit mats, but I’m wondering if there are other non motorcycle specific alternatives. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Tarp can be bought for $10

A tarp is not a fuel mat.  The mat should catch the spill and not just redirect it a couple feet away from where it hit the ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crypto666 said:

A tarp is not a fuel mat.  The mat should catch the spill and not just redirect it a couple feet away from where it hit the ground. 

Semantics... Throw some kitty litter down then... Lol

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Semantics... Throw some kitty litter down then... Lol

Then you might as well save the $10 and not use a tarp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, highmarker said:

bbq grill mat from home depot, designed to protect your patio from grease and food spills,  20 bucks.

I've never bought one tbh. I just use someone else's :D. But, I think that's what they do use. 

I use a Lectron now. No fuel stops, no OS fuel tank. I get 4+ hours from a 7 litre tank. (Stock tank)

Edited by Drop-Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly interest to see what a $150  KTM pit mat looked like so assuming this and looks like about $55 US from here. https://www.motosport.com/ktm-powerparts-pit-mat?variant[KPP008D]=KPP008D-X001-Y001

X001.jpg

 

Not sure if it has to be flame retardant but if not, a tarp with an old blanket on top. Then if there was a gas etc spell, you could put the old blanket in a garage bag and deal with disposing of the properly (burning it in a fire) and tarp in a garage bag and clean properly and reuse?

Not sure how much gas etc the actual KTM mat would absorb but you would still have to deal with that issue after the fact. (taking it home, cleaning etc etc)

IMO if it doesn't already, the actual mat should have cheap absorbent liners that can be replaced and disposed of as needed.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, filterx said:

Slightly interest to see what a $150  KTM pit mat looked like so assuming this and looks like about $55 US from here. https://www.motosport.com/ktm-powerparts-pit-mat?variant[KPP008D]=KPP008D-X001-Y001

X001.jpg

 

Not sure if it has to be flame retardant but if not, a tarp with an old blanket on top. Then if there was a gas etc spell, you could put the old blanket in a garage bag and deal with disposing of the properly (burning it in a fire) and tarp in a garage bag and clean properly and reuse?

Not sure how much gas etc the actual KTM mat would absorb but you would still have to deal with that issue after the fact. (taking it home, cleaning etc etc)

IMO if it doesn't already, the actual mat should have cheap absorbent liners that can be replaced and disposed of as needed.

 

 

That's a pit mat. But not they type of pit mat they're talking about.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently it is lol. Looks nothing like what we use though

Edited by Drop-Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

That's a pit mat. But not they type of pit mat they're talking about.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently it is lol. Looks nothing like what we use though

Again like most of my posts I'm only guessing and giving doggy advice 🙂

https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1235&bih=594&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNTt0bmy87hXEwhQkqtwW-l5ki3Tig%3A1570060382644&sa=1&ei=XjiVXaXqJsqx0PEPvYycoAM&q=ktm+pit+mat&oq=ktm+pit+mat&gs_l=img.12...0.0..1723329...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz-img.x8hbrkEfYuY&ved=0ahUKEwilkYjb4v7kAhXKGDQIHT0GBzQQ4dUDCAY

I blame it on google and how many beers I've had 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, filterx said:

Yeah, I googled them. didn't even see anything that looks like what we use here.

Just had a look at the BBQ mats, that's not what we use either.

Here we go. We use something like this. "Jute mats". The ones I used were white, but same thing. $71.50 aud for 60 squares. Take a bunch and sell them for $5.00 each :D

 

Jute_mat_squares_large-1.jpg

Edited by Drop-Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

Yeah, I googled them. didn't even see anything that looks like what we use here.

Just had a look at the BBQ mats, that's not what we use either.

Here we go. We use something like this. "Jute mats". The ones I used were white, but same thing. $71.50 aud for 60 squares. Take a bunch and sell them for $5.00 each :D

 

Jute_mat_squares_large-1.jpg

Out of interest if they got soaked in gas and oil, do you burn them or if not how would you dispose of them?

At least you could stuff them in a garage bag and bring home from the track/race

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, filterx said:

Out of interest if they got soaked in gas and oil, do you burn them or if not how would you dispose of them?

At least you could stuff them in a garage bag and bring home from the track/race

I just threw mine in the bin :excuseme:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pit mats are required for quite a few races I do.

From an MXA article/review:

Quote

These mats are required in many racing organizations around the world, including most American events that take place on government or BLM land...

Every FIM-sanctioned race, including motocross, speedway, World Enduro, ISDE and ice racing, demands an environmentally safe pit mat. Supercross does not, but only because the riders do not pit on dirt. A legal pit mat must be composed of an absorbent fiber part and an impermeable rubber base. The mat must be able to absorb at least 1 quart of fuel or oil and be at least 5mm thick. This pit rug does very little to save the environment, but it is required by many race organizations and government environmental organizations so you have to use it when you race where they are required.

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SS109 said:

Pit mats are required for quite a few races I do.

From an MXA article/review:

 

That still doesn't explain how to deal with the absorbent material if it soaks up gas/oil and if the material needs to be removable for proper disposable/cleaning after the fact.

Its nice they specify something for a for dirt and I guess if it happens on pavement, you can just wash away what doesn't get absorbed back into the dirt or drain or whatever or use something to absorb it which is back to an  mat it the first place.

Sounds like I'm being the environment cop but really at the end of the day this is the same as doing an oil change at home for your bike/truck etc and having it over flow and spill all over your drive way or having gas spill out of the pump nozzle at the gas station.

I use kitty litter for oil spills and take it over to a buddies house to burn cus he can deal with the air pollution cops 🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mats I’m looking at have a replaceable pad of sorts in it. I honestly don’t know if that 50 dollar one from Motorsport would be ok or not. I’m going to send the race organizers an email and ask. It seems like it’s just a rubber mat, with no absorbent pad in it. If a rubber mat is ok, hell I got a bunch of conveyor belt rubber I’ll use 🙂 I’m sure the requirement for the mat came from BLM or USFS, as part of the deal to use the land for a race. I get it. I’m ok with it. I just didn’t want to spend the 150 cuz I’m a cheap bastard. I also have a few spill kits at my shop that have absorbent pads in them. They’re for oil, fuel, whatever hazmat spill happens. I’ll ask about those too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, filterx said:

That still doesn't explain how to deal with the absorbent material if it soaks up gas/oil and if the material needs to be removable for proper disposable/cleaning after the fact.

I don't know how things are done up North of the border but in the U.S. every state and municipality has laws governing the disposal of hazardous materials like oil and coolant. Where I live we have a drop center for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know with most of this kind of crap you have to have something stamped to be approved by whatever government entity required it so just having something cheap that probably does a better job may not be good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SS109 said:

I don't know how things are done up North of the border but in the U.S. every state and municipality has laws governing the disposal of hazardous materials like oil and coolant. Where I live we have a drop center for this.

Ya at least in BC Canada we have multiple types of garbage bin at our houses depending what your tossing out and some of them are bear proof. Also recycling centers and oil/coolant needs to be disposed with at specific locations but that's containers of each and they check to make sure they are not contaminated IE gas in the oil and if so they will not take it

BUT say you are at a DB race and are using a mat. Then say spill a litre of gas on it during a fill up or for some reason spilled a litre of oil or a litre of coolant on it. I'm guessing the only way to deal with that is soaking it up with rags, rags in a plastic bag, mat the reeks of gas and or oil etc, then throw the plastic bag with the rags in a garbage bin cus pretty sure a drop center isn't dealing with oily rags etc.

I think I may be over thinking this and I get what they are trying to do with the mat but IMO and as I've posted it's only a short term solution.

Anyway I'm done with this topic 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...