Pit mat alternatives

2 minutes ago, filterx said:

Ya at least in BC Canada we have multiple types of garbage bin at our houses depending what your tossing out and some of them are bear proof. Also recycling centers and oil/coolant needs to be disposed with at specific locations but that's containers of each and they check to make sure they are not contaminated IE gas in the oil and if so they will not take it

BUT say you are at a DB race and are using a mat. Then say spill a litre of gas on it during a fill up or for some reason spilled a litre of oil or a litre of coolant on it. I'm guessing the only way to deal with that is soaking it up with rags, rags in a plastic bag, mat the reeks of gas and or oil etc, then throw the plastic bag with the rags in a garbage bin cus pretty sure a drop center isn't dealing with oily rags etc.

I think I may be over thinking this and I get what they are trying to do with the mat but IMO and as I've posted it's only a short term solution.

Anyway I'm done with this topic ?

Well. Good thing you got into my head first lol.

Haven't stopped thinking about you post asking how I disposed of it ?. Guilty conscience.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, filterx said:

BUT say you are at a DB race and are using a mat. Then say spill a litre of gas on it during a fill up or for some reason spilled a litre of oil or a litre of coolant on it. I'm guessing the only way to deal with that is soaking it up with rags, rags in a plastic bag, mat the reeks of gas and or oil etc, then throw the plastic bag with the rags in a garbage bin cus pretty sure a drop center isn't dealing with oily rags etc.

I think I may be over thinking this and I get what they are trying to do with the mat but IMO and as I've posted it's only a short term solution.

Anyway I'm done with this topic ?

I agree. Automobiles drop way more oil and coolant on the roads every day compared to the little bit our dirt bikes contain. I do follow the rules but I think the mats are more of a feel good measure than anything else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SS109 said:

I agree. Automobiles drop way more oil and coolant on the roads every day compared to the little bit our dirt bikes contain. I do follow the rules but I think the mats are more of a feel good measure than anything else.

Just quietly. I use my old sump oil and fuel for weeds on my driveway. They always grow back :ph34r:

Edited by Drop-Bear

8 hours ago, SS109 said:

Its like the stupid gas can regulations in the US. You can't just buy a decent "approved" gas can anymore that has a spout and vent. Oh no you might forget to close one or the other and let gas evaporate. Instead you have to by this terrible gas can that won't vent worth a crap and makes you end up spilling gas everywhere. Or you have to by a "liquid container" and possibly get hassled at gas stations filling it up or potentially even face fines. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 minutes ago, catmanz440 said:

Anyone else scratching their head why this is a requirement when we use carbuerated bikes that dump fuel when a bike is in its side? It's a race.... no one will crash right?

It's government. Don't try to make sense out of it, just do your best to get around it. 

Edited by Dirtstache 556
  • Like 2

I’ve asked the race organizers about the mats. I’ve asked them to provide a little more detail about what kind of mat is required, and also asked if any substitutions are allowable. That was 2 or 3 days ago I sent that email. No response yet. I’m calling tomorrow. I’m at the point I need to know, because the race is next weekend.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, catmanz440 said:

Anyone else scratching their head why this is a requirement when we use carbuerated bikes that dump fuel when a bike is in its side? It's a race.... no one will crash right?

So...because our carbs might leak a little fuel when we go down, we should forgo any precautions to keep other fuel spills contained?

A single pint of oil released into a lake or wetland can cover one acre of surface water and seriously damage aquatic habitat. Spills on land can contaminate drinking water supplies and take years for ecosystems to recover.  All spills pose a threat to human health and the environment, require remediation which may extend beyond property boundaries, and result in substantial cleanup costs.  At low levels of contamination, fuel contaminants in water cannot be detected by smell or taste, yet the seemingly pure water may be 
contaminated to the point of affecting human health. 

I'm not disagreeing with you nor ignoring potential environmental effects. All I'm saying is that it's hypocritical to be requiring these mats under bikes while refueling but not requiring a carb tube catch can similar to what would be required on a supermoto bike or other carbuerated bike racing on a paved track. If they're required to mitigate spills while fueling up shouldn't it be required to mitigate all fuel spills or require fuel injected bikes only?

So...because our carbs might leak a little fuel when we go down, we should forgo any precautions to keep other fuel spills contained?
A single pint of oil released into a lake or wetland can cover one acre of surface water and seriously damage aquatic habitat. Spills on land can contaminate drinking water supplies and take years for ecosystems to recover.  All spills pose a threat to human health and the environment, require remediation which may extend beyond property boundaries, and result in substantial cleanup costs.  At low levels of contamination, fuel contaminants in water cannot be detected by smell or taste, yet the seemingly pure water may be 
contaminated to the point of affecting human health. 

54 minutes ago, catmanz440 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you nor ignoring potential environmental effects. All I'm saying is that it's hypocritical to be requiring these mats under bikes while refueling but not requiring a carb tube catch can similar to what would be required on a supermoto bike or other carbuerated bike racing on a paved track. If they're required to mitigate spills while fueling up shouldn't it be required to mitigate all fuel spills or require fuel injected bikes only?

? Some day those things could very well be required to participate in a national level races series or to ride on government land. 

• 2 weeks later...

Because I HATE when threads are started and not finished, here is the (or at least my) closure. I finally heard back from the race organizers, 2 days before the race was going to start. The guy told me I could use a 2x3 door mat from Lowe’s if I wanted to. As long as the bottom was rubber and the mat portion was some sort of fibrous material. Unfortunately, since I didn’t know I could use such a cheap mat, and the other “official” options made the event just too expensive for me, I had decided not to go, and scheduled other stuff for that day. So I didn’t go, regrettably. But there you go, coulda shoulda woulda. Thanks all!

• 3 months later...