TTR 230 makes a grinding noise when starting

Not sure what's going on with my 2014 TTR230, but when  I try starting it, it makes a horrible grinding noise. I've put bigger jets in it, adjusted the needle height and mixture screw. Drilled the airbox and put a big gun exhaust on it. The carb is clean. Is it the starter clutch?

Edited by Josh Krause

Could be a couple of things... one may be easy, other not so.

I would start by testing the slipper clutch.  Put the bike on a crate or jack stand that is stable enough to hold the bike while turning the rear wheel.  Put the trans in a higher gear that will allow you to turn the engine over easily.  With the switch OFF, rotate the rear wheel in the forward direction (counter clock-wise if you're standing on the left side of the bike.  You should hear only the engine turn over.  If it still makes that grinding noise, is difficult to turn the engine over, then the problem COULD be your slipper clutch under the left side cover.  If you rotate the rear wheel in the reverse direction, the slipper clutch will engage and it should be difficult to turn and you should hear the starter rotating.  So that would be your check... rotate it both ways to listen for the workings.  If you only hear the engine turn over, and its not difficult to rotate it, the slipper should be good.

Next when you rotate the rear wheel backwards, does the starter make that noise?  If so, the bushings inside the starter may be dry or have corrosion in them and need lubrication.  You may get differing opinions on this, but I would put a few drops of oil on them.  May require you to disassemble the starter.  Look at an exploded view in the parts fisch.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/tt-r230-ttr230w/starter-clutch

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/tt-r230-ttr230w/starting-motor

I am having the same grinding when trying to start my wife's 2015 ttr 230 , just curious what you found to be the issue?