Tex-Lock - Textile soft and lightweight lock?

Hey all,

I've been looking for a portable lock I can easily carry on KTM 300 XC-W, most chain locks that would be secure are heavy and hard. ( Scratch and rip bags)

Has any used the Tex-Lock, it's a textile based lock, which is soft, and also very lightweight. Anything else like this?

Link to their site: https://www.tex-lock.com/en

Thanks,

For securing your machine outside the grocery store it is certainly better than nothing; it has an ART 2 rating out of 5. For longer term security I'd look at traditional solutions by Kryptonite or Abus or ...

I do have a Kryptonite 1213 Chain for home storage which I use, but that thing is just to heavy for normal daily use. I like the idea of a disk lock, but the bike weighs nothing so I'd rather attach it something with something similar to the Tex-Lock.

4 hours ago, CroftOX56 said:

Has any used the Tex-Lock

Neat idea but, no. Not every would be crook carries around bolt cutters. but just about everybody carries a pocket knife. Now if they had that textile wrapped around an aircraft cable?

There are loads of smaller steel cable bicycle locks available that would be better than textile

The problem with the cables is that they are typically easy to cut.. while no lock is completely cut proof, I like the Tex-Lock over most cables I've seen...

There are loads of smaller steel cable bicycle locks available that would be better than textile

Hard to believe it would only be textile as most would define it. My guess is it has Kevlar, or a Kevlar type weave in it. Even then......

• Like 1

That's what I was originally thinking, but I've read to many horror stories of the good quality ones going off at all hours of the day, and the bad one's the keys break off inside. Either way, I haven't found one that seems worth it. Or worse yet, you drive off with the damn thing on and kill the rotor...

If I got one, I'd prefer alarm to alert people, because if it just locks the back, you can pretty much put straps on it and carry it away.

I like the idea of a textile, many because with current tech, this does seem likely to be as good as steel with a great weight reduction. But also, it protects the bike from getting screwed up if someone Yanks on it.

I'd be tempted to go with an alarmed disk lock which would be relatively easy to carry and not weight too much.

2 minutes ago, CroftOX56 said:

That's what I was originally thinking, but I've read to many horror stories of the good quality ones going off at all hours of the day, and the bad one's the keys break off inside. Either way, I haven't found one that seems worth it. Or worse yet, you drive off with the damn thing on and kill the rotor...

If I got one, I'd prefer alarm to alert people, because if it just locks the back, you can pretty much put straps on it and carry it away.

I like the idea of a textile, many because with current tech, this does seem likely to be as good as steel with a great weight reduction. But also, it protects the bike from getting screwed up if someone Yanks on it.

Ya disk alarms can be sensitive etc but if your only looking for a short term easy deterrent, here's a link to some options for Europe where motorcycle theft during day to day use is a real issue.

https://www.google.ca/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNTavg1PgaVkz85WHHRW8WpYCAdR2A%3A1570065351383&source=hp&ei=x0uVXei6FPPD0PEPypC8wA8&q=motorcycle+theft+prevention+in+europe&oq=motorcycle+theft+prvention+in+eu&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i22i10i29i30.398.25035..27767...1.0..0.289.3115.26j5j2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i131j35i39j0i22i30j33i160j0i13j0i13i30j0i13i5i30j0i8i13i30.oTbvWVa6drs

Otherwise, you can add hidden key or on/off switch if the bike has a battery only for starting but that doesn't prevent someone or ones from physically rolling the bike away or putting it in a truck but at that point if the cable lock can be easily/quickly cut it wouldn't matter anyway cus they want it.

At least with an alarmed disk lock if someone messes with the bike there going to be a lot of noise would make trying to load it in a truck very noticeable.

I deal with my bikes at home completely differently for where I store them so only some suggestions cus I'm guessing from your original post your 300 XC-W is street legal and your looking for a portable solution for when you're riding it around town and stopping to go shopping?

• Like 1

My bike is street legal, and I live near Detroit, Michigan USA about 20 miles north. But if I go another 20 miles it gets pretty empty to farm land. We can find some old abandoned rail tracks that have trails on them so we ride fairly local thus the need for a quick, light lock up.

Ya disk alarms can be sensitive etc but if your only looking for a short term easy deterrent, here's a link to some options for Europe where motorcycle theft during day to day use is a real issue.
https://www.google.ca/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNTavg1PgaVkz85WHHRW8WpYCAdR2A%3A1570065351383&source=hp&ei=x0uVXei6FPPD0PEPypC8wA8&q=motorcycle+theft+prevention+in+europe&oq=motorcycle+theft+prvention+in+eu&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i22i10i29i30.398.25035..27767...1.0..0.289.3115.26j5j2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i131j35i39j0i22i30j33i160j0i13j0i13i30j0i13i5i30j0i8i13i30.oTbvWVa6drs
Otherwise, you can add hidden key or on/off switch if the bike has a battery only for starting but that doesn't prevent someone or ones from physically rolling the bike away or putting it in a truck but at that point if the cable lock can be easily/quickly cut it wouldn't matter anyway cus they want it.
At least with an alarmed disk lock if someone messes with the bike there going to be a lot of noise would make trying to load it in a truck very noticeable.
I deal with my bikes at home completely differently for where I store them so only some suggestions cus I'm guessing from your original post your 300 XC-W is street legal and your looking for a portable solution for when you're riding it around town and stopping to go shopping?

That is really cool.  Gets great reviews, too.

9 hours ago, CroftOX56 said:

My bike is street legal, and I live near Detroit, Michigan USA about 20 miles north. But if I go another 20 miles it gets pretty empty to farm land. We can find some old abandoned rail tracks that have trails on them so we ride fairly local thus the need for a quick, light lock up.

I've been to Detroit years ago and grew up in Ontario Canada so sort of know what your referring to but I'm still not sure why/where your locking it and for how long with out keeping an eye on it?

At the end of the day you need to decide how best to keep your stuff from getting stolen for any given situation and I'm just throwing out my 2 cents 🙂

Also very nice to a have a street legal 2T bike cus at least in BC Canada, its virtually impossible to get one street legal.

Edited by filterx